2020 HOF nominees

Esiason had three pretty good seasons–1985, 1988-1989, and one very good half season (1997), but the rest of his resume over 10 seasons resembles Jon Kitna level mediocrity, i.e. 151 TDs 145 INTs.

http://www.nfl.com/player/boomeresiason/2500562/careerstats

It’s funny because Tiki Barber’s last 3 years in the NFL were by far his best years. But the Pro Football HOF isn’t like MLB Hall of Good to Above Average Players that had long careers.

I don’t see how Patrick Willis doesn’t get in. Think about it: 5x All Pro LBer. How many of those guys have there ever been.

Is there a grading criteria? Or is it by popularity to get into the HOF? I would assume stats, Super Bowls, and having a big name will get you in.

But did it make you feel better to get out in front of any Hanson love that people here might have had? It hadn’t happened yet, but you damn sure jumped out there to shit on the idea before they could. So I’m just wondering if that felt good?

Its all popularity, there’s no hard criteria. When it gets down to the final 15 or so, some of these players will be made or broken based on who “represents” them at the final talks. Someone “gets up” and makes a case for each player. Sometimes, a guy can make such a compelling argument, it flips votes.

Football is a rough sport and I don’t want to keep players out just because they were “only” good for X amount of years. I think some have called it the Terrell Davis exception, guys who are at the very top of the game but didn’t last long. I’d give Priest Holmes the Terrell Davis exception.

And this is why I ignore posters. If this is the standard protocol for moderators, then this board has some problems.

So is that a yes or a no? I’m just wondering.

Why are you fascinated with people shitting?

You’re a great forum cop… forum cop-rophiliac.

John gets my vote!..Oops, wrong Hall of Fame.

Dude, take a break. All he was saying that it’s hard for kickers to get into the HOF.

It’s hard work being the forum’s pooper scooper.

1 Like

Which kind of bites since it wasn’t really his fault.

Just IMHO but I would think that calling it the Gale Sayers exception would be more appropriate

2 Likes

Hanson already did that himself:

Just so I am not pooping on the Lions, I think the “Zack Follet exception” is the way to go.

After looking at kicker stats for the last 30 minutes, I hate myself.

But Hanson has a case for the HOF. He has longevity and a decent FG% with that many seasons. Only 3 other kickers in history have 20 or more seasons and a higher FG% than Hanson. I am not sure “big moments” or “rings” should matter to a kicker, mainly because they do exactly what they do in the Superbowl that they do in a preseason game. And those big moments are just a product of the team they play on. I am sure most people would only think the guy who kicked the game winner in Superbowl is worthy of the HOF.

It’s easier to remember the pressure FGs that were missed, including this devastating one by Eddie Murray:

Isn’t Ray Guy the only kicker in the Hall?

This is the game I came closest to calling it quits.

He is the only punter in the hall.

Blanda, Groza, Stenerud and M. Anderson are the kickers.