2021's "Top Ten" WRs (projected)

My observation–not a single WR taken in the top 20 of any draft and only one in the top 25–

1. Davante Adams, Rd 2, No. 53 overall
  2. Tyreek Hill, Rd. 5, No. 165 overall
  3. Stefon Diggs, Rd. 5, No. 146 overall
  4. DK Metcalf, Rd. 2, No. 64 overall
  5. Deandre Hopkins, Rd. 1, No. 27 overall
  6. Calvin Ridley, Rd. 1, No. 26 overall
  7. AJ Brown, Rd. 2, No. 51 overall
  8. Justin Jefferson, Rd. 1, No. 22 overall
  9. Keenan Allen, Rd. 3, No. 76 overall
  10. Michael Thomas, Rd. 2, No. 47 overall
1 Like

Watching Calvin was fun but I would never invest that much into a single receiver again. The Packers model they used around the same time was perfect when they kept throwing 2nd and 3rd round type picks at the position and landed a receiving core they could spread the ball around to instead of trying to force feed a 50% catch guy in the teeth of the defense every week.

4 Likes

I often wonder what would have happened if the Lions had taken Adrian Peterson instead. How might history have been different.

4 Likes

The Steelers have used the same model for decades.

Hines Ward–Rd 3
Antwaan Randal-El–Rd 2
Mike Wallace–Rd 3
Emmanuel Sanders–Rd 3
Ju Ju Schuster–Rd 2
James Washington–Rd 2
Diontae Johnson–Rd 3
Chase Claypool–Rd 2

Sure, there were some clunkers in there (Markus Wheaton–Rd 3; Limas Sweed–Rd 2; Willie Reid–Rd 3), and Santonio Holmes being the unicorn 1st Rd WR pick, but for the most part, the Steelers have been successful with the Round 2-3 WR drafting strategy.

It made sense years ago and it makes even more sense now that there are so many good receivers available. It cracks me up when I see fans absolutely hog tied to the idea that every team has to have a “true #1 receiver!” They want that and bell cow backs that take damn near all the carries and put up pretty individual stats. That’s not a good model for winning football right now.

2 Likes

Wish there were more threads like this leading up to the draft.

1 Like

Crazy how far and how quickly Michael Thomas has fallen.

1 Like

There was at least one poster showing the data about how the 2nd picks were equal to or better than those WRs picked in the first round

Showed that waiting over the last decade for a WR pick in t he second round was the best option probability wise

Or Andre Johnson instead Charles

1 Like

I think what happens sometimes is the receivers who go at the top of the draft are often times drafted because of their measurables. While guys going in the 2nd round tend to have acceptable measurables (not as good as the 1st round) but have the other traits that make for a successful receiver.

2 Likes

Sad part about that Scott was that Andre Johnson was the obvious pick over Charles Rogers. Johnson was built like Terrell Owens and physically suited for those slant routes over the middle that the version of the WCO ran at the time. It was a perfect fit.

One wonders whether old man Ford and/or Junior influenced Millen to take the local guy to sell tickets.

Packers have been successful with Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, & Davante Adams, all except Jones 2d Rd picks.

Almost every source on the planet had Rogers rated ahead of Johnson.

Yeah. Charles Rogers was the obvious pick. As a collegian he was the closest thing to Randy Moss that I can remember seeing.

WR is a lot like CB. You need a great position group overall more than one great player and the rest okay or not good.

WR has become a position where it is overdrafted. I get why Chase went early as he fits the template of cornerstone WRs in the game. But I will always scratch my head about Waddle just like I did with Henry Ruggs in 2020. The Broncos and Cowboys (#15 and #17 OA) got MUCH better value there but in rd. 2 a bunch of guys went who look like better draft value to me. Hell, the Broncos draft TWO WRs with their top two picks. There is some great draft value in rd. 2 ar WR in 2020.

In 2019 the best WR is likely AJ Brown who went #51 OA. But Metcalf and Hardman (Chiefs) are also fantastic draft value.

I am struck at the resources the 49ers are putting into WR. A LOT of WRs drafted high these past couple seasons.

For a WR to be successful a team needs a talented player, a good QB and a scheme that works for both. I am happy the Lions are maybe targeting a different kind of WR now. But I sure as hell would have liked to draft D. Smith this draft though.

Prior to Charles Rogers positive urine dilution test, undoubtedly. However, that was a major red flag. And, if teams had done their homework, i.e. security background check, they should’ve discovered the guy was a pothead. I’m betting some teams did and probably removed him from 1st Round consideration after the positive test.

"Rogers had failed drug tests each year during his tenure at Michigan State, though somehow this was something the Lions failed to notice.

Rogers was also disciplined on more than one occasion for violation of team rules."

Rogers needed to be with an NFL organization that wasn’t the Detroit Lions. I laugh at the Lions trying to recoup the rest of Rogers’ signing bonus. They’re the idiots who either didn’t do their due diligence when drafting him second overall in 2003 or, if they did, weren’t smart enough to protect their investment with a tad more awareness and perhaps chaperoning.

At the NFL combine, Rogers tested positive for a urine-masking agent, which showed excess water in his diluted sample. It was later confirmed that Rogers had also failed two drug tests during his time in East Lansing.

In the middle of the article (can’t copy and paste), it says:

Rogers is quoted as saying: “Everybody knew I smoked. It wasn’t a big deal.”

I’d be wary of drafting him high too without Drew down there slinging the ball around. :wink:

And Lawrence Phillips was the most talented player in the 1996 NFL draft.

Teams knew about the Phillips character risks before the draft.

The Ravens, despite needing a RB, passed and took Ogden instead.

The Rams gambled and lost.

You forgot Driver, Sharpe, and Schroeder.

Oh you can’t talk about Chewy like that!

He gave us all the inside info like 20 years ago and I still believe that was Millen’s son

1 Like