2022 NFL season, Week 12: What We Learned from Thanksgiving Day games

Takeaways:

1. Bills survive upstart Lions with late-game heroics. Buffalo’s return to Detroit wasn’t pretty, but Josh Allen rifled a laser to Stefon Diggs for 36 yards to set up Tyler Bass45-yard game-winning field goal to eke out a victory. Allen looked off much of the day due to his hampering elbow injury, missing short throws he usually makes routinely. Until the final two drives, the Bills’ best plays were Allen runs as the passing game couldn’t get on track for stretches. Given Buffalo was facing the NFL’s worst pass defense, it was stunning to see the Bills unable to move the ball consistently. Allen struggled under pressure, going 5-of-11 for 36 yards versus the blitz. Following Allen’s fourth red zone interception in his last five games, the Bills offense hit Strugglesville, punting on three consecutive possessions to allow the pesky Lions to hang around. But when he needed to, Allen made plays to win. The Bills marched 90 yards on 14 plays to take the lead late. After a Lions field goal looked to force overtime, it took just one dart from Allen to wipe out an extra frame. Good teams find a way to win when they’re banged up and not playing well. Sean McDermott’s team did so on Thanksgiving Day.

2. Lions battle, but too many errors inevitably sink Dan Campbell’s squad. Entering on a three-game winning streak, Detroit hung tough with the AFC-power Bills. Amon-Ra St. Brown (nine receptions for 122 yards and a touchdown) continues to see his star shine, as he repeatedly spun Bills defensive backs into the turf with fantastic routes. Jamaal Williams is a red-zone hammer, scoring his 13th TD of the season. And the defense played well for stretches, holding Buffalo to just two third-quarter points. Playing with a razor-thin margin for error, however, Campbell’s team will be kicking itself for not closing the deal. The Lions moved the ball at will for stretches, but a Williams fumble in plus-territory killed a promising first-half drive. Jared Goff took a dumb sack in the end zone for a safety. Mike Badgley missed a chip-shot 29-yard field goal. Austin Bryant committed a boneheaded roughing call. And Campbell struggled with clock management down the stretch. Couple those errors with a defense that couldn’t get stops on third down and a QB who missed makeable throws, and it was another Thanksgiving disappointment in Detroit. The Lions are on the rise, but Thursday showed they’re still too talent-deprived to hang with the big boys consistently.

3. Ed Oliver eats on Thanksgiving. Boy, did the Bills get a big game from the monster defensive tackle. Oliver essentially pitched a tent in the Lions’ backfield, smothering plays and destroying the entire operation. Facing Lions backup guards, Oliver was too much to handle. The defensive tackle gobbled up a sack – which went for a safety – six tackles, two tackles for loss, four QB pressures, two QB hits, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. Already missing key edge rushers and watching Von Miller leave with a serious knee injury, the Bills needed Oliver to make plays. He came through. Oliver has generated 19 pressures over his last three games, seven more than any other player in the NFL since Week 10, per Next Gen Stats. **The 24-year-old’s play doubly stings Lions fans on Turkey Day, as Detroit passed over drafting Oliver in 2019 in favor of tight end T.J. Hockenson**.

1 Like

Oliver was the difference → I want my new DT!

4 Likes

But they DID hang with them. Right down to the last second. Weird take at the end of a paragaph that was up until then decently fair

1 Like

I still think if we had our starting guards we win the game. Especially if we had our original starting guards. If the entire line had been able to stay healthy I honestly think we would have two more wins at least. I hope our luck turns around next year on the injury front.

7 Likes

We learned we are still mathematically alive for all seven playoff seeds!!! As we go into December

5 Likes

No lies detected

1 Like

What about if Josh Allen is healthy?

3 Likes

In fairness, Oliver doesn’t do that if Jonah and Big V are playing. Give Oliver credit but he was dominating practice squad Skipper and a guy making his 1st nfl start.

2 Likes

Fair point, some of those throws were not even close… he’s gotta be about 75% out there. They gotta get him healthy to have any shot in the playoffs. Not sure an elbow gets healthier during the season though without a lot of rest.

2 Likes

I wanted Oliver in the worse way in that draft, he is the kinda DT we need.

2 Likes

Word.
Also…still want one.

I’d love to get my monster DT - YES!!!

1 Like

What if Alim is a monster DT!! Just took him a couple years to figure it out! I think he might be. But, I’ll still take another as well!

1 Like

Still want another one. :wink:
Also - Still would love a truly elite DE…even opposite hutch
I want the equivalent of Jones/Fairley/Suh/Ansah…somethign that effective or better

LOVE that

3 Likes

Draft Anderson Jr. and good luck to offenses with Hutch on one side and Anderson on the other.

2 Likes

If he’s available, I’d DEFINITELY go for him.

4 Likes

I remember those who actually wanted Hock vs those of us who understand position value. I was an Oliver guy all day. When DE Josh Allen fell to 7 i wanted to trade up 1 spot for him or take Oliver.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.