2022 QB Class

Everyone has their personal opinions on PFF, but here is there top 100 overall rankings from 11-29. They have SIX QB’s in their top 40. Like I have said before, there are no surefire QB’s in this class, but it is a very strong 2nd/3rd tier group.

16. QB MATT CORRAL, OLE MISS

The first quarterback off the board. Corral lost his top playmakers from a season ago yet still rolled through SEC competition. He flashed his athleticism even more this season, racking up 713 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns.

20. QB KENNY PICKETT, PITTSBURGH

The single biggest riser at the quarterback position, Pickett didn’t earn a single sub-70.0 game grade all year. After managing only 10 big-time throws in 2020, Pickett totaled 29 this season. In his fourth year as a starter, Pickett looked decidedly different.

31. QB SAM HOWELL, NORTH CAROLINA

Howell may have taken a step back as a passer, but he proved to be a legitimate threat as a runner this season. He broke an absurd 63 tackles and ran for 1,072 yards this season.

35. QB DESMOND RIDDER, CINCINNATI

Ridder oozes physical talent, but his accuracy issues continue to be worrisome. That being said, he’s been on a tear down the stretch this season and will have a prime chance to prove himself if Cincinnati makes the College Football Playoff.

38. QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY

Willis is an electric playmaker. However, the Liberty quarterback is still far too much of a roller coaster from game to game. He amassed 19 turnover-worthy plays but also a ridiculous 36 big-time throws.

40. QB CARSON STRONG, NEVADA

No quarterback in this top 100 shouldered a bigger load as a passer. Strong had a six-game stretch toward the end of the season where he dropped back to pass over 50 times every game. Still, he finished with a career-high 90.3 passing grade this season.

I am a big fan of Pickett. The small hands thing is a red flag though. Would love him at 24 or wherever. Bridgewater went 30? I think that could be a good comp.

Malik Willis

1 Like

If you take one with rd you get the 5 year option. If you wait till pick 33 you lose that but save money.

I like idea if one they really like is there ok take him but if there is a player like WR or LB or Safety there they really like take position player . I am not one who says have to take one ,after the combine an checking them out when graded stick to the board its not like he will step in an play Goff is here another year,

I looked at cost of Mac Jones an most he will cost Pats for 4 years is $4,959,290 in year four.
Picking like in 20.s will be less even pick 33 would be a lot less but lose year 5 option. But could move back using pick 33 an say a pick 6 rd to team at 30 say they would take a pick to move down one spot.
I don’t care if we pass on QB this coming draft. I am against passing on position players to take a wild shot at a QB this draft.

Lets say they can get way draft falls these 3 players with 2 more coming in RD 3
You want to pick a QB who will sit anyway an hope he will work out?
first pick Thibodeaux or Hutchinson real either is good
The second Pick There will be at least 2 WR an likely couple S wo will be solid picks here lets say a WR like Wilson or Burks
At 33 its likely the Safety will be here or a LB

That type of first two rds fills edge WR an S position an we have two picks in rd 3

You could get an this is going to change during combine an meetings an work outs

Lets say Edge Hutchinson …WR Wilson… Brandon Joseph S

With two picks in rd 3 I am not busting a draft like this to improve team to draft a I Hope maybe who knows QB When its almost 100% Goff will be the QB in 2022… I understand we need a QB but I really doubt you lose out one 3 to 5 solid young players to take a chance. The players i selected i just feel would be solid picks others will have different one the pint is the ability to draft lets say highly likley solid players for a wish QB

1 Like

The 5th year option cost the Browns $18.9 million for Baker… and Darnold would have been the same but it was declined.

The 5th year option is now fully guaranteed from the momebt it is exercised, so that is a consideration as well.

On other words… a team has 3 years to decide if they want to commit serious money to a QB with the 5th year option. That kind of reduces the incentive to trade up from round 2… if the reason is to get the 5th year option.

My own personal priority list, in order, of what I look for in a quarterback.

#1 durability
#2 a passer has to have superior accuracy
#3 Takes care of the ball and avoids turnovers
#4 ability to make every throw
#5 any arm strength above average is a bonus.

#1 best guy on the planet never threw for 300 yards from the hot tub.
#2 I’ve never once seen a quarterback overcome accuracy issues. There’s been a lot of guys drafted with absolute howitzers that couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, figuratively. Never saw it end well.
#3 I’ve seen a lot of careers undone by turnovers. Nothing will drive a coach to a coronary faster than giving the ball back and giving the other team free opportunities
#4 If they can’t hit a fifteen yard out route, the other team is going to know that and adjust accordingly. The parity of talent is too close, for most teams, for anything less.
#5 If they have reached this point, I’ll definitely want them at some point. They’ll be a good investment, even if they have a Jeff “Rainbow Brite” Blake noodle arm. You might just have to get a different type of receiver. Of course, at this point, and only at this point, does arm strength enter my equation.

1 Like

The Rams pick is starting to look like a very, very good place to get our future QB. Let Goff and the rookie fight it out in 2022 with Goff likely winning that battle in 2022 byt feeling the heat (which I like).

Kenny Pickett is a guy I am really starting to like.

I do think Matt Corral will be the first QB off the board and I think Houston maybe taking him at 2OA. I’m hoping someone wants him bad enough to want to leap from HOU for him.

20mil is peanuts if the QB is any good. Also the option is less for someone picked in the 20s. IMO, when taking a QB that extra year is extremely valuable.

The option does not change… regardless of where the player ia selected.

Do NOT take one this year. The 2023 class is exponentially better.

2 Likes