2023 Detroit WR's

St. Brown - 100% will return
Jamo - 100% will return

After this it’s up in the air.

DJ Chark - UDFA
Josh Reynolds - $3 million salary and $1 million roster bonus due on 3rd day of league year.
Khalif Reymond - $1.95 mill salary and $400k per game roster bonus
Tom Kennedy UDFA
Cephus - $1 million slary

I think we have a decision between Chark and Reynolds. I think Reynolds wins this for our #3 spot. #4-6 are pretty much open. Reymond/Cephus are under contract and cheap to cut if needed so they will be able to fight for spots in camp/preseason.

I don’t expect us to go WR very high in the draft unless someone they really like falls. 3rd or later is most likely and possibly none at all.

1 Like

I do if our own pick is 12 to 15 and Quentin Johnston is still on the vine.

1 Like

We had a WR discussion last week. Maybe a couple of them. I’m out on a limb, evidently, suggesting that our starting WR corp next year should involve a 2022 draft pick.
St Brown
Jamo
2022 2nd rounder
Raymond WR4 (Punt Returner)

I’m not even going to list WR5 or 6. Ya’ll can pick whomever you’d like from Reynolds, Chark, Kennedy or Tim Toone for all I care. I just don’t want to go into next year penciling in Chark or Reynolds as a starting WR.

I’m literally angered by the notion of “possibly none at all”.

4 Likes

If JSN’s hamstring causes him to slip a bit and we don’t like any of the DBs when we’re picking with our own 1st round pick I’d run to the podium.

I think Addison is really good.

Also if we could get Jalin Hyatt in the 2nd round I’d do that easily.

Johnston is going top 10 IMO.

I do think this team has bigger needs than WR though, so I wouldn’t be a huge fan of passing on a good player at those positions of need to get a WR that we could just resign in Reynolds and Chark.

I see 0 reason to bring Chark back.

16 Likes

Over bijan Robinson? who my auto correct wants to call hijab robinhood

2 Likes

WR in the 2nd or 3rd round for sure!! Jamo and St. Brown are the future. St. Brown is going to be working the underneath routes and in the slot. Jamo is the home run hitter. Now we could use a big 6-3 - 215 pound red zone type WR. Someone like a young motivated Golladay, that skillset would be a perfect compliment to St. Brown and Jamo.

3 Likes

That is literally Cedric Tillman. Exact measurables and everything. I’d rather have Hyatt though if we’re taking someone from Tennessee. Hyatt might be able to challenge Jamo with acceleration, but Jamo would win the long race and has better top end speed.

2 Likes

All good stuff, and all could be true.

One thing I’d say with our GM…don’t rule out some 5th rounder evolving into the #3 guy and passing the rest of the depth chart. He’s that good.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this. I feel like JSN is best in the slot. The question is: how well can he beat his man off the line if he played outside?

1 Like

A couple I’ve had my eye on are Cedric Tillman and Xavier Henderson. We need a guy who can play X on an island and be a problem.

edit: Xavier HUTCHINSON. Iowa State.

1 Like

Was planning to say something similar. Don’t think we should force this.

I’ll be super happy with Jayden Reed or Ronnie Bell in the 5th round. Kidding/not kidding.

If Williams is what we expect then the marginal value of another top 60 receiver is pretty small. Lions problem now is that they are using 4th and 5th receivers as top rotational guys - even while still productive. Bring Williams in to that top two spot and guys fall into their more natural roles.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree.

4 Likes

Yes - Everyone else experiences FAR less heat, because of the attention that JaMoss gets.

1 Like

We should since we don’t have a rd 4 pick get a WR in first 3 rds.

Always IMO we should look at CB an WR every draft first 3 or 4 at latest rd.

Teams need them an they get pricey even average ones. Always have couple young ones moving up roster or even winning a starting spot.

3 Likes

What type of WR would you guys prefer for our number 3? An outside guy I presume. More speed or more of a high pointing catch radius type?

Speed, it’s why I still hold out hope for Chark who prior to injuries was a pro bowl lvl player. Send Chark and Jamo deep and Sun God or Swift have a ton of room to work. I just see a lot of room to work with on 3rd downs if both S are trying to cover 4.3 and better deep, with Amon Ra killing guys over the middle with his ability to separate

I also think Goff is not the QB to throw 50/50 balls.

1 Like

I think the Vikings missed the boat by not snagging Jamo at #12. I get it that they were in “win now” mode, but Jamo paired with Justin Jefferson for a playoff run? I think we should press the pedal to the medal with another presumed elite receiver, if one falls naturally to us. There’s stressed and then over-stressed defenses.

That’s what I implied when I wrote that we shouldn’t force this. I feel like folks in this thread feel we should be actively pursuing another top two receiver and I just don’t feel that way. Sure if an OBJ type is sitting there in the teens then grab him, but at the same time seriously consider trading Sun God. There’s only one ball and you don’t need three top receivers to have guys running free. I was serious about looking for technicians who aren’t scared to stick their nose in and make a play - guys like Bell and Reed.

Look at Buffalo, their #2 is Davis, a 4th rounder in his 3rd year. Their #3 is McKenzie, a 5th rounder who had to change teams to get a chance.

Lions will get a lot more traction using their top picks on defensive line and defensive backs.

4 Likes

I would like this x 10 if possible

He still has time to prove us wrong but…sigh, the clocks ticking

2 Likes