2023 Roster

Here is what I’m projecting for the guys on this roster that will be here at the start of next season:

QB: Goff
RB: Swift, Cabinda
WR: Williams, ASB, Reynolds, Raymond
TE: Hock, Mitchell
OT: Decker, Sewell
IOL: Jackson, Ragnow, Vaitai
DL: McNeill, Onwuzurike
Edge: Hutch, Paschal, Harris
LB: Barnes, Rodriguez, Houston
S: Walker, Joseph
CB: Okudah, AO, Iffy, JJ
P: Fox
K: Patterson
LS: Daly

I’m thinking that both Okwaras could be cut by next year and Brockers certainly will. I hope I’m wrong on the Okwaras but I’m not convinced Romeo comes back strong from his achilles and Julian hasn’t shown enough yet for me to say he will be here for sure.

My list has 31 guys in it right now. Just goes to show that we have a lot of work to do with the roster build. We should add another 8 or 9 guys next draft, and maybe a few more guys show they should return for another year after this season, but there is plenty of room for more cornerstone pieces, particularly on the back 7 on defense.

Delete

Chark, Elliot, and Hughes are on one year deals, so not sure they re-sign for 2023. Cephus might not even make the squad this year, certainly not guaranteed for next year.

Jamaal is a FA after this year and not sure he gets brought back

2 Likes

My bad!! I just noticed you were talking about 2023… forget everything i wrote above, lol

1 Like

Yeah, I like the thought exercise of looking a year ahead on the roster to see what we may need next year and what “building blocks” we currently have.

2 Likes

Romeo is an interesting one, he’s got 2 more years on his contract. It might be a big cap hit to cut him. Gotta see how he comes back from the Achilles this year. The new staff really liked him prior to the injury.

Looking at that contract, he better come back strong! Yikes.

I think saving 7.5M will be worth cutting him or possibly trading him after he has a so so 2022.

Why you say that now you an others were alright when he signed the deal?
Posters can pick rosters i do but not a year ahead.

I like the depth i see this season an flexibility.

But the biggest thing i see an like is the play speed for most.

Damn Chark gets no love on these streets. I hope he changes everybody’s mind this season. I see why he was signed and why he chose us. Detroit vs everybody.

You think AJ Parker gets cut?

2 Likes

Plus Chark is the only player besides Goff that has been to Pro-Bowl… maybe a few others. I have high hopes for Chark if he’s healthy.

2 Likes

A lot of the stuff people are saying about Jameson and his ability to dictate what defenses is true of Chark. His biggest question is his ability to beat press coverage (just like Jameson). So if people are viewing him as the actual placeholder for Jameson and think we go a different play style at WR#2 that’s one thing.

But I get the sense people are just completely writing him off.

1 Like

I was thinking the same. I predict some of the OL depth guys get kept too, but I agree w/most of the base that Holmes has in place.

Let’s turn this muthu out! Love it.

Let’s get a monster to replace Brockers…for sure one more freak DL to change the game…TOP tier…no settling…no compromising…get it done, Holmes.

2 Likes

I feel that too, but just a handful of vocal dudes. Most of this board are silent and dont’ post…so don’t necessarily represent what Lions fans think.

Why I like Chark → Homerun ability opposite Williams. Williams demands attention and the other guys can kill you in different ways. This is gonna be fun.

Good Gawd, I hope Swift stays healthy this year.

1 Like

Akeem Hicks?

He’s 32, man. I’m thinking a youngster → I’d like to get something like Jordan Davis (preferably meaner). Someone was showing me a DE that was nasty AF too. Trying to remember his name…

1 Like

i’m saying it now because he blew his achilles in a freak injury. He was healthy when we signed the deal last offseason.

That kid showed a lot of promise. No way I’d let him go.

3 Likes

He could be of of the guys that earns a spot with another good year. I just dont think he’s a lock by any means yet.

Overall this isn’t too bad….

1. I think Chark auditions for this to be his home, and there is better than a 50% chance he ends up here on a long term deal…

2. I am not sure why everyone is determined to write off the Okwaras…. Romeo has proven to be a capable pass rusher with 8 and 10 sacks in 2 of the last 4 seasons. Yes he is coming off an Achilles, but it would seem prudent to see how he comes back? J Okwara is a grand slam on his contract. His dropping ability combined with his 5 sacks and 67 PFF rating in limited snaps

• if we are going to go 4 DL- then I expect JO to take snaps in the SLB spot, and also as a situational edge rusher on the 4 man line… zero reason to consider cutting a 4th year player with a 1.56M cap hit who can play multiple spots in the front 7?
  1. I think some of the UDFA will pop again too. Eze could easily stick as the swing tackle, and Jarvis as an option to backup at guard…. The beauty is having Nelson and Kraemer here for a year

Between Greg Bell and D Taylor I bet we get at least one nice backup who fits our system.

Between Jarvis and Obinna I bet we end up with one solid backup OL contributor.

That fact that this regime can seem to find a couple guys every year for 850K a year that can contribute is a really beneficial asset…

My prediction- as I don’t love high priced free agents, and next years class looks a bit long in the tooth, I’ll stick with growing our own and the draft….

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.