5th Worst Offseason?

It reads like someone who mocked a particular player to the Lions a thousand times and then the Lions didn’t take that guy, so they threw a fit. (Which could be any number of us on this board…lol)

2 Likes

Chris Ballard hates you…. :smile::smile::smile:

I didn’t get the statement about long term value I’ve true next 4-5 years when that is going to be exactly when Gibbs is elite. If an elite Gibbs can’t help this team……over the next 4-5 years….that’s nuts. They must not LIKE Gibbs.

4 Likes

Don’t get this angle, like at all.

2 Likes

Baby!

Speaking of which, we haven’t heard much from him since the Lions went on a win streak and started getting some positive press…wonder why that is?!?

Whats Up Stare GIF by NBA

1 Like

Hello my name is Bill Barnwell…and yes…I suck

1 Like

Are there ANY positions where we got worse?

I’d say we stayed same or got better at every position.

2 Likes

I don’t know why so many people are upset with this narrative. I for one agree with the positional value debate and I am not going to try to act as though I was jumping up and down happy with those first three picks and I’d guess about 50 percent or more here, were of the same mindset.

Concerning the rest of the assessment, I’d say I disagree with this ranking 100. There is no way, not drafting for positional value completely negates every other roster move made in the off season. Whomever the author was is a pea-brain, if it really is Florio then it goes without saying.

Also, as I mentioned I was not thrilled by the choices but I have come around a bit to understand the motive and let’s face it, BH has given us reason to trust his decisions.

1 Like

we suck again GIF

A good share of the 1st round picks will end up being remembered as busts. If you draft a player that is still starting on the team 6+ years from now, it was good pick.

2 Likes

No you’d have to read the article. This is not an accurate portrayal of the article at all. He referenced signing Montgomery, and said paying that much for a RB who’s never had over 4.0 ypc in his career wasn’t a great usage of resources. Same thing when the Lions used almost 20 million to lock up Anzalone. Hard to dismiss those reasons.

He also commented on the additions in the secondary - he liked the players themselves, but bevause of all the one year deals, we were gonna be back in a similar position next offseason. Just fyi

1 Like

I think that is an “old school” view IMO…

it basically is saying the Lions would have gotten a better grade if they had committed long-term money at CB… even though CB has ALWAYS been a position that can be filled thru UFA or trade ( @Mr.Peabody ) ….

also……

Monty has had a 4.0 ypc in 2 of his 4 years… so not sure where that number came from…

and I’ll also point out that his QBs were Trubisky, Foles, Dalton, and Fields. Think about that for a moment. How much did his QB play limit his opportunity???

Also… Matt Nagy was calling plays for 3 of his years.

Matt Nagy!!!

3 Likes

Jamaal had 4.1 ypc behind one of the better O-lines in the NFL, Monty had 4.0 behind one of the worst O-lines and a QB who defenses didn’t respect as a passer. I don’t know how anyone can say this was a bad signing or a signing that made us worse than we were.

4 Likes

used to be we had reliable media guys that knew thier stuff and you could rely on their takes-even quote them , now it’s like they are throwing shit at a wall to see what gob of it sticks and that is what they will report , I don’t trust media guys anymore.

So JW averaged 4.0 yds per carry for his career and ran for 17 TD’s, but Monty averages 3.9 for his career is going to fail and was overpaid…and we offered that same contract to JW.

Not buying this one.

4 Likes

Nobody is going to be saying this once the season starts, as long as DMontgomery can stay healthy.

3 Likes

Trubearsky. Foles. Dalton. Fields. Bad O-lines.

vs……

A-a-ron & Goff… and good O lines.

Jamal ranked “NEAR THE BOTTOM”….

2 Likes

Huge yes to all of this. Monty is a significant upgrade. Watch his numbers go way up, while Jamall’s dwindle by at least a third. He won’t have 10 rushing TDs this year, let alone 17. His YPC goes down as well.

yup

to be fair… Jamal may have decent numbers again…
the Saints have a quality O line as well.

Yup - I’m not a numbers guy…I’m a “pass the eye test” guy, but this was a good bit of numbers to see.

He’s a significant upgrade with a massive chip on his shoulder. This guy will show up as an extremely great locker room guy too (let’s be honest…this is the main reason ppl like J-Will). Monty is an extreme professional that will show up every Sunday with his lunch pail ready to cave someone’s head in with it.

1 Like