5th Year option for Hockenson--$9,392,000 fully guaranteed for 2023

But his production per game played was very good. 61 catches for 583 yards and 4 TD’s in 12 games is quite good for a TE. If he played the full season, he’s rocking 80 catches for 800 yards and 6 TD’s. He missed 5 full games and half of another one.

Keeping Hock healthy is my main concern.

1 Like

kyle meinke

@kmeinke

· 25m

Sounds like the Lions will use the fifth-year option on T.J. Hockenson if a long-term deal cannot be worked out. Headed into the final year of his rookie deal as of now.

I expect them to work something out. The lions need to be adding talent, not losing it. Although “available cap space” has become the new “beanz” around these parts lol

TJ needs to prove he can stay healthy this year before getting an extension… Exercise the 5th year option, he’s a top 10 TE when healthy. Lions need to add another legitimate TE to the team though.

That table, sorted by salary, shows Hock would be the 8th highest paid TE in 2023, barring any new contracts. The 2022 numbers show some really not great guys getting more…

It tells me we shouldn’t be moving a TE to his 2nd contract unless he is a lock down stud, and Hockenspaniel absolutely is not at this stage.

ant drinking GIF

What Just Happened Ball GIF by FOX TV

John Candy 80S Movies GIF

2 Likes

We have two or three season’s before you really have to get it done. Final year of rookie, fifth year option, one year on franchise tag (if needed). So I’d be in no hurray to get it done.

I’d definitely give him a 2nd contract, he doesn’t need to be elite to get a 2nd contract (see Tracy Walker or Taylor Decker).

2 Likes

I dunno. Walker’s 2nd contract is going to be like 3% of the cap over it’s life.

Hock’s would smell more like 5%, assuming $12M AAV. No likey.

eye eyeball GIF by Charlie Mars

white and black wheel GIF

See You Baby GIF by TLC Europe

That may be the only ribeye on this Earth I won’t eat

Who impacts the game more?

Walker. If he kicks a play, good chance we see their placekicker next play.

IF… Tracy Walker has been an average starting safety in the NFL… nothing wrong with that. TJ has been an above average TE when he’s healthy. If TW created more turnovers, I’d agree with you… but he doesn’t.

1 Like

Haha anyone using an Uncle Buck Gif knows what’s up!!!

john candy GIF

So, one of my nicknames is Buck, and my brother has kids…so…I am actually Uncle Buck, in a way. Maybe in more ways than one…

1 Like

Amazing!!!

“How many times a day would you feed a dog like that!?”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.