7 thoughts on the Lions: Ben Johnson’s future, Dan Campbell, and more

Love to hear this and thank you for sharing.

He’ll be a head coach eventually if he keeps this up but I think he wants to finish what he started, just like AG I think has loyalty to DC and wants to build something here first.

They’ll get their interviews I’m sure… but I’m not worried and that is because of DC

2 Likes

If we win out, COUNT on it!

So what are you saying? Because he’s white he will not be hired by teams even though he’s supposed to be better than all of them? Or black coaches will get hired before him with lesser talent but because they are black? Or, it shouldn’t matter because the quality of the coach should matter but he’ll just get snubbed because he’s white?

Without context of what you’re trying to say I find this comment incredibly offensive and racist on its surface. Not sure where you are coming from but I still find it to be quite superficial and irrelevant.

I think it’s been pretty well documented black coaches have not been given the same opportunities as white coaches historically speaking. So are you complaining about a white coach not getting an opportunity or advocating for black coaches with more experience getting opportunities?

I just want think the recency bias of the playoffs will play a role.

1 Like

Perception is reality. A white coach with only 1 yr of offense coordinator experience this offseason will get overlooked in my opinion. I hope i am wrong. Well considering i want ben to stay… I actually hope i am right… the way last offseason went i just expect color to have a role in this offseason. Do i want it that way? No… do i think it will? Yes

I want the best coach to get the job regardless of color. But when all the jobs went to young white guys last yr except texans and that was a previous black head coach there will be pressure this season to give jobs to black coaches.

By that reasoning Jim Bob cooter should’ve been a HC after his “success” with Stafford and the lions before he bottomed out.

Why would it be a problem if qualified and more experienced black coaches got hired instead of less experienced white coaches?

I think its more an assessment of how the NFL will view the optics of last season’s hires, the Brian Flores lawsuit and in general the continual stream of rake handle in the face moments the NFL has given itself over social issues again and again the past few years.

Now, its not the NFL itself making these hires, but thats who gets side-eyed when black coordinators, who are qualified coaches arent getting hired, whether coincidental or not. So expect the owners as a group to protect their product and profit by making some pointed commentary inside their organizations about how commitment to diversity has to as a group yield results, not just lip service.

Its more about making people more aware of any unconscious implicit bias they may have, moreso on the buddy/program/network side than racial makeup. Because IMO thats what this league is…a “buddy and system” league …which creates barriers of all kinds…many times to winning as we have found out over and over

2 Likes

I think the more qualified black head coaches are overdue for these chances. I was shocked that all of them were passed over last yr. Some of these jobs went to very young white assistants… was the fad to find the next mcvay?

3 Likes

That’s fair. I apologize if I misunderstood

1 Like

I hope you’re right, I just know that good, young offensive minds tend to be VERY high on everyone’s wish list.

And for all that we like to think our players and coaches are loyal, most of them aren’t. And you may never get another chance to be a head coach.

Also, money talks, and he’s gonna get huge money thrown his way.

If he passes on all of that to stay with us, great, but I have a hard time believing it. Call me a cynic but I’ve just seen it too much to believe otherwise.

1 Like

uhhhh…. were you thinking of Goff’s fiance???
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes
1 Like

I hear you. But he telling people that. And this regime is built different. He is telling people behind closed doors he is happiest here and doesn’t want to leave….later sure? But he doesn’t think he is ready yet……loves it here. Doesn’t want the limelight in him wants to focus on ball. Think about it……he called the plays last year……MCDC said he was the one calling them and he had a hand but it was BJ but MCDC did it that way to protect him……he very well could leave but all the info out there is saying we are safe for now….so might as well share it.

6 Likes

That’s right where I am at. If a couple teams want to sniff around, fine. Nice offer, fine. Just give the man his raise and move on.

As it was said, he loves it here and he loves Dan. In addition, he has been here four years and is raising two kids with his wife in an established environment.

Doesn’t mean it won’t happen. I just think we have a better shot of retaining him than maybe some other teams with their coordinators.

3 Likes

Campbell seems to have an incredibly loyal coaching staff, and they want to be there for him too. That counts for a lot. When glenn said he wanted to be the best DC the lions, and Johnson declared he was his competition… these guys love who they work for. They aren’t gonna take some random job with a franchise in flux to only lose all they’ve worked for.

When the opportunity comes they’ll take it but I doubt Johnson or Glenn go anywhere else for 23

2 Likes

The number 1 reason I believe in the lions is bc of Brad and Dan and how they treat people. Dan is 100% genuine and everyone knows it. All the HK did for me was confirm what that he is also super intelligent. Some have disagreed w how the Lynn situation went down but I’m sticking to how it went down and it’s a insane testimony to Dan that Lynn left the organization praising Dan. It takes a special kind of leader to be able to do that and handle situations like he does….

6 Likes

It is so much easier to root for Dan than to try to tolerate the previous sloth that infested the head coach’s office prior to him.

6 Likes

Remember when Patricia talked about the real season started in November? I’m not looking it up but I did last week and he was like 3-18 in November and December. Dan Campbell is 7-6-1 in two season w the same roster at times. 3 of those losses were by a combined 7 points.

5 Likes

Good stuff Hater
I think exactly right
It’s probably like a lot of employment situations
Some you bolt because the boss is an asshole
Others you stick around cuz you like the bosses and you’re growing— there’s no rush to leave
Amd if someone is dangling a job that’ll pay $25k more but require 90% travel — that may not fit your personal wants list

Johnson has likely never been in an employment situation like the current regime. They’re not assholes and have let him grow more than any in the past. Yes he’s got 10 years in — but he was never more than TE coach.

Other coaches held him down. These guys elevated him — and as Hater pointed out, protected him.

It would ne wise for him to absorb the nuances of this culture for 2-3 years still. He will ultimately be a better HC than if he bolts at the first opportunity.

He strong and smart. He’ll do what’s best for him in the long run. Likely very self aware as well — he knows he’s only scratched his personal potential. These guys will speed his development.

It’s not just about chasing $$$

3 Likes

PAY the man. Give him a new contract with incentives for longevity. He came here in 2019 so give him a nice base and a 1M bonus for 5 years. a 2M bonus for 6 years. 10Mbonus for 10 years OR SOMETHING like that, you get the idea.

Bottom Line: If you are happy with a team, and getting paid a lot of money for what you like to do, only an EGO will make you want more. EDIT: or an egotistical greedy bitch for a wife.

If you look at a lot of OCs and DCs who have been stellar in that role but sucked at HC the list is looooong. Owners obviously don’t agree with Peter’s Principle.

3 Likes