A couple of thoughts from Peter King's FMIA column

Forget about the trade chart:

POTENTIAL TRADES

Club executive 1: “Teams have gotten really aggressive with trades. I’m starting to hear teams offering to package picks and players to move up—not just picks. So instead of trying to trade up five spots in the first round, maybe this year you’ll see a team offering a one, a three and a player they’re down on a little.”

GM5:If any team in the top six or eight wants to trade down, they won’t get what the trade chart says they should get. You don’t hear much trade talk till a day or two before the draft anyway—except for teams alerting you to keep them in mind if you’re thinking of moving your pick—but this isn’t the year to get rich on your high picks.”

GM4: “I laugh when I read around this time that the trade market is heating up. Most of the time, nothing really substantial happens till the day before the draft, or day of. There will be trades, but I don’t see many until after 10 [the 10th overall pick].”

Why?

COVID MADE THIS DRAFT DEEPER

GM6: “When so many college players had shortened seasons, or no seasons [in 2020], a lot of them chose to stay and play a regular year last year. That’s why the draft’s deeper this year. Not just at the top, but all the way through.”

GM7:This is the year to have a bunch of day two and day three picks. And I think the pool of undrafted free agents will be better than usual.”

GM8: “One of our analytics guys was talking about how Covid made this draft richer. Look at all the picks Baltimore has in the third and fourth rounds. [The Ravens have seven in the third and fourth combined.] Those picks are absolute gold. They are going to have a great draft. Five years from now, that will be the story to look back on.

GM9:I’m extremely bullish on the third and fourth rounds, into the fifth.”

Coach 1: “This draft, in terms of high-quality players, kind of drops off the cliff after about 10 picks. But the depth of make-it players who will contribute is very good.”

That suggests to me teams are going to be more stingy with their trade up offers, which makes sense given that there is really no one standout player.

3 Likes

They will still have Jackson as their QB, and will have to overcompensate for that. I’d give him lots and lots of weapons to spread the field with.

Also → If I’m reading this message about a team, I’m thankful it’s a team in the AFC.

p.s. Good luck getting past Josh Allen. :wink:

Sure seems like the Ravenss to unload some of those picks…. because the depth chart below doesn’t have a ton of holes.

They have 9 picks in the top 4 rounds… but 4 of those 9 are from #119 to #141 in the 4th round.

I would guess they may use 1 or more to trade up, and maybe try to trade a 4th rounder this year to get a 3rd rounder next year

There are 3 elite OT’s.
There are 3 good DE’s.
There are 2 or 3 very good CB’s.

When one or two of the players in each position group are gone, I think we’re going to see more trades. This won’ be happening at pick 2 though. Maybe by pick 5 or 6.

[quote=“JerseyJungle, post:4, topic:15377, full:true”]
There are 3 elite OT’s.
There are 3 good DE’s.
There are 2 or 3 very good CB’s.

When one or two of the players in each position group are gone, I think we’re going to see more trades. This won’ be happening at pick 2 though. Maybe by pick 5 or 6.
[/quote

Jacksonville Jaguars
2. Detroit Lions
3. Houston Texans
4. New York Jets
5. New York Giants
6. Carolina Panthers
7. Giants (via Chicago Bears)
8. Atlanta Falcons
9. Seattle Seahawks (via Denver Broncos)
10. Jets (via Seahawks)
11. Washington Commanders
12. Minnesota Vikings
13. Texans (via Cleveland Browns)
14. Baltimore Ravens
15. Philadelphia Eagles (via Miami Dolphins)
16. New Orleans Saints (via Indianapolis Colts and Eagles)
17. Los Angeles Chargers
18. Eagles (via Saints)
19. Saints (via Eagles)
20. Pittsburgh Steelers
21. New England Patriots
22. Green Bay Packers (via Las Vegas Raiders)
23. Arizona Cardinals
24. Dallas Cowboys
25. Buffalo Bills
26. Tennessee Titans
27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
28. Packers
29. Kansas City Chiefs (via San Francisco 49ers and Dolphins)
30. Chiefs
31. Cincinnati Bengals
32. Lions (via Los Angeles Rams)

Ideas as to who needs what, in terms of trading?

I started a response, but gave up. It is so up in the air this year, that I think predictions are pretty much a waste of time. I know both the Giants and Jets need an OT. Looks like Houston could use a corner. It could still be all about the QB. Carolina is sitting at 6, and he Wilson-less Sehawks are just a few spots behind. I think the Giants are in a good spot at 5 for a trade down. So I made a worthless prediction after all!

1 Like