A Fast Explosive Front Seven

Why would they bulk up McNeill 6’2" 317 an can move no reason to add more an slow him down. The will play as base 3-4 two gap.
Likely inside 3 will be Brockers McNeill an Levi with Flowers an JOK as OLB’s
Now they will rotate depending on down an distance. It will be all about limiting rushing attack early then pressure on QB.
your looking at 265 pound guys coming off the edge with 305 317 300 coming up in two gap on short yardage you can drop one OLB off an add say Penisini with McNeil an Brockers 325 317 305 add Hand at 300 Flowers played as Hand in dirt last season a lot Jok didn’t. With new staff you see all out Blitzes an i would say now 75% snaps will have a blitz Keep Mc Neill quickness with Levis fast snap why slow anyone down.

3 Likes

I think the emphasis on attack and playing fast is going to make all the difference. The new 3-4 base and nickel will be a 180 from MPs 3-4/nickel/sit back and quote Star Wars “wait for it, wait for it…”

In retrospect was MPs whole defensive philosophy based off that scene from Star Wars just before they blew up the Death Star? “Wait for it… wait for it… wait for it…”

Except instead of blowing up the Death Star they all just got blown to hell and mission fail.

Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE Oregon

If we can get this stud with our top pick next year the line instantly vaults into the upper echelons of elite. He is a Myles Garett/DeMarcus Ware type pass rusher who can absolutely scream off the edge and run down QBs with bad intentions.

Yes, we probably need to find a way to add a QB to build around unless Goff flashes, but it looks like we are going to have him for 2 years min. What’s wrong with adding an elite edge rusher and a high grade WR with our first rounders next year, see what the team looks like in year 2 of the rebuild, and then if we need that QB, package picks and get a franchise guy in 2023?

I know, it’s a long wait under that scenario, but unless you think there’s a Drew Brees or Kyler Murray available up top in 2022, I just don’t think it’s worth passing on a blue chip talent on D or at WR in order to take a flyer on someone like Rattler.

2 Likes

The lions are going to be a 3 man over/under front with 1 gap responsibilities. Brockers talked about it when he was traded to the lions

1 Like

Because they have pass rushers and they want McNeill to play NT. A 325lb NT can hold up better than a 317lb one can.

1 Like

Exactly!
Alim is here to anchor the middle, he needs mass, not speed.

1 Like

Julian won’t be starting over Romeo after we just paid Romeo to stay.

He is going to play NT an likely Buckner one side an Levi other side with 2 OLBs its the base 3-4 an it will be two gap many times.
Mcneill either side of the Center he will attack Buckner either side of the OG/OT same with Levi…OLBs will occupy the OTs Set the edge . Base 3 -4 you never know what side the big 3 will attack.
You will have Two Inside LB maybe one blitzes or drops maybe both blitz an both OLBs drop or just one . Flower can put hand in dirt an now your in 4 -3 don’t be shocked you se two DL with two OLB on passing downs with a added CB or fast LB I like the flex this D will have it will take awhile to get it all working but they have the staff do make it work.
But they can change in one signal call an we will Blitz a lot.

Brockers, not Buckner.

Where are you getting this idea that we’ll be blitzing a lot?
The Saints were 14th in blitz % and the Rams were 21st, neither team that our HC, DC, or GM came from was known for blitzing a lot.

Just take time an read about the top two coaches Lions hired an then look at the young players we drafted big an quick**, Don Capers** is noted for his Blitzing an his teams mainly in top third of league in blitzes an take a ways.

Capers figures to have some real influence on Glenn, who has not been a coordinator before. Glenn played for Capers in Houston from 2002-2004, so there is already a relationship and a familiarity.

It’s not always going to work. Capers got too aggressive at times and it burned his defenses. But Glenn is in charge, and his discretion and understanding of other styles of defense can hopefully balance it out. Glenn’s experience with the Saints and his roots in the Parcells system are enough of a basis where it’s clear he’s not some Capers lapdog.

1 Like

When I see his highlights, I can’t help but think of the Jerry Ball days! One can hope!

Dom Capers was with Minnesota last year, they were 19th in Blitz %.
He was with Jacksonville in 2019, they were 15th in Blitz %.
Pretty much middle of the pack.

So you basically said, Glenn is going to blitz a lot because of Dom Capers…but then Dom Capers gets too aggressive and Glenn is in charge so hopefully he won’t blitz too much and “he can balance it out”.

There’s nothing that points to us blitzing a lot, sorry.

Actually what was said was the team could blitz a lot more on 3rd downs. It’s not about how many times you blitz vs when you blitz.

Glenn worked under Dennis Allen, who is a big believer in blitzing on 3rd down and limiting the time a QB can get a pass off, while showing a lot of cover 2 pre snap looks

We’re not going to pick high enough to get Thibedoux IMO. Fantastic player though. Great personality as well.

1 Like

That makes a lot more sense.
Thanks for clearing that up for @coyote12 .

You’re probably right Husker, but you never know what can happen. If you’d told me in December that we’d pick #7 this year and land Penei Sewell I’d never have believed it.

Looking through our schedul and assuming Rodgers is back in Pack, I think 4-6 wins is our reality. Really hope I’m wrong. Would love a 9-10 win season but we’re just not there yet IMO.

Our secondary is green and lacks high end starters. Maybe Okudah develops. That’s a big maybe. Maybe Melifonwu plays meaningful snaps. Maybe Walker bounces back from getting derailed by Patty.

Our LBs are well below average. And our interior defensive line is real young aside from Brockers.

Lastly, unless we sign someone significant at WR, our talent there is the worst in the league. That’s a major limitation.

Our one hope as things stand now is that our stellar OL turns into a modern day version of the Hogs in DC or Larry Allen’s Dallas Cowboys’ road graders. Swift runs wild, our play action is off the charts and the coaching staff molds pro bowlers across the roster.

That may eventually happen, but my gut says it won’t until 2023-2024.

[quote=“CashRipley, post:37, topic:10878”]
If you’d told me in December that we’d pick #7 this year and land Penei Sewell I’d never have believed it.[/quote]

Good point. Totally agree. I take it back. We’re getting Thibodeaux. That cat is a badass. Not sure he’s a particularly interested in run defense but whatever. 3 times a decade kind of pass rusher.

I actually think Stingley is even more rare compared to his positional peers. I get that the CB position excites folks less but either of those two is a freaking home run for whatever team is lucky enough to get them. Completely sold on both of those guys.

We’ve got 2 first round picks, so we’ll have ammunition to get higher if we want. Not saying Holmes will do that, but if Goff shits the bed, I’d bet we’ll be very aggressive to move up for a QB. Then again if Goff shows out and we dump Flowers… those resources could be used to go after Thibedoux.