A pick Dan would want... Tyler Linderbaum C

In what world is QB a position of need? They will sign a FA QB, maybe even bring back Boyle although I hope they aim higher. They have 3 picks in the last 2 rounds and could even fill the spot with an UDFA. They still have Steven Montez, who was on the PS last season and they chose to protect late in the season.

One of the few things I think they got right with the previous staff was to only keep 2 QB’s on the 53 man roster. Yes, let’s use draft capital on someone in the first 3 founds of one of the worst QB classes in recent history when we could actually address holes where we need starters.

The only QB under contract is Goff. He is literally a bottom third ranked QB’s in the NFL by almost everyone. How is this not a need? How are you the only person who doesn’t see it?

I love the way Goff stepped up and I am happy to roll with him and Boyle, honestly. Just saying QB is an obvious need on this roster until Goff proves for without a doubt it isn’t, and even then we need a capable backup.

Oh really. Stafford would be in the bottom third with what we had last season. I just posted a link to Montez that say’s he’s under contract for next year, how is it that you think we only have 1? LOL, so I’m the only one who knows that next season there will be some great options at QB and this crop is below average, is that what you’re asking me? So when Goff finished the season the way he did, that was what, luck?

Montez is a camp arm at best. I am not discounting Jared Goff’s performance. You are though. He played like shit for over half a season. Like not even top 32 QB good. There are many reasons for that, some that were out of his control. Still how does 5 games make him our future?

Look at any beat writer who covers the Lions. Every single one has said the Lions are doing their due diligence on QB and it is clearly a need. Will they forego one? Certainly possible for a variety of reasons.

This is probably the 3rd time we have had this similar conversation. Gonna walk away from it this time because clearly neither one of us is going to agree.

Well, most of the beat writers, as of late, have said it isn’t the priority. Doesn’t mean Detroit does/doesn’t take one but Goff showed what he could do as the play calling improved and WR room played better. But his performance last 4-5 games doesn’t make it a critical need.

It is not a priority based off of Goff’s play, but it is still a need. Meike talks about it at around the 34 minute mark in this podcast. He also wrote an article on it.

Goff played awesome down the stretch and deserves to be the guy in 2022. That is great news for the Lions. Still does not eliminate the NEED for a QB at this juncture, just makes it a lot less pressing.

Oh I see, a guy we protected last season and IS SIGNED right now somehow doesn’t count as being on our team, didn’t know that. Hey, I just need to know the rules. I never said we couldn’t use a QB, I have over and over said next season is the time to do it. Matt won 2 games once Golladay went down and he still had Jones and Amendola and Hock.

MLive…
So if the Lions don’t see a long-term franchise quarterback in this draft – again, very possible – then they should invest elsewhere in their roster while letting the quarterback thing play out until 2023. In this case, I think they should spend at least one of their early-round picks on a wide receiver. Heck, do it with the Rams’ first-round pick. Go get Drake London or whatever receiver is there. Get Goff some freaking help, so we don’t have to watch him try to throw 50-yard passes to KhaDarel Hodge or Trinity Benson or whatever nonsense we’ve seen not work this season.

Exactly my position. A NEED but so is TE#2, are you putting a backup QB above that? Let’s be honest, what franchise QB do you see in this draft that would be available with our Rams pick or beyond? If we’re not taking a franchise QB in a weak draft why piss in the wind? Get your team some players who aren’t simply going to be bench warmers in the first 3 rounds. After that, if there’s a QB you like knock yourself out but don’t screw up by taking someone who isn’t even going to contribute. I don’t like Boyle but even I know that he is likely to be better than any QB we take this year unless we go our first pick first round . Hell, 3 first round picks Trey Lance couldn’t crack SF’s lineup. You use that kind of capital and he the job should have been his day 1. Teams talk themselves into QB’s all the time when the film says, really? I didn’t consider last season to be all that great for QB’s, pretty sure I was the only one here that made that observation. Cornhusker will confirm that, he and I had several conversations about how the “beat writers” must be right and I must be wrong.

well. Goff is and will be our starter in 2022 , we’re not throwing him out with the bathwater. We MAY need a back up, but that’s not such a dire need bc Boyle stepped in. yeah Goff is ranked lower, the whole team didn’t start gelling until many games into the season…what do you expect !? WE saw what St Brown can do add more talent this offseason , and THEN see how Goff stacks up…not REAL worried about the O, as I am our porous defense.

We know that Guard is a need at some point in the draft. But his talent might dictate a first or second round pick. Do we dedicate that high of a pick for a backup? I feel like it would be a luxury pick GIVEN the other pressing needs where BPA and need match up. He isn’t starting over our pro bowl center and as others have mentioned Brown has played very nicely. Upgrade the OL in the draft? Sure, but I would imagine closer to the 4th-5th round.

1 Like

I felt the exact same. I wanted Mack too. I’d had more than enough of watching raiola try to run block.

Might have to move Ragnow to guard. I think he’s bigger. Linderbaum is special. Making the nastiest O-line possible. Or why not split reps?

1 Like

I still think receiver isn’t a critical need THIS year. If the draft board falls the right way then absolutely upgrade. I think we could be ok resigning Reynolds and getting Cephus back to go with st brown. I’d much rather see the lions give glenn some serious talent to play with. We need depth and talent all over the defense. I don’t see them being a huge player in free agency this off-season. I think the likely target to really compete is next off-season. So we’re really going to have to load up on defense in the draft if we’re going to help that side of the ball.

Have you seen Ragnow play? HE is special. Why move a top 2 center in the game?

2 Likes

We did go through TWO centers this year. Depth depth depth. Kneecaps kneecaps kneecaps.

Another thing, if running is the Lions thing, we need depth through the whole Oline.

Agreed, but to this point in his career Ragnow has been very durable, hell he played with a broken throat last year. But you are suggesting MOVING ragnow from center where he is elite. I do not know how that makes the OL better. want to address OL in the draft…fine lets do it…100% agree…moving your elite center…I just don’t see.

I’ve said that we might not pick one until the 3rd, but that there still should be some guys I like in that group. With the WR’s we have right now we need speed and height. Average speed but good height… Isaiah Weston, 6’4" 209 and falls into some pretty good company.'Our downfield target.

WRs/TEs on 20-plus yard targets since 2019 | 2021 draft class
Player PFF receiving grade
Ja’Marr Chase 99.0
DeVonta Smith 97.9
Isaiah Weston 97.0
Kyle Pitts 96.3
Dyami Brown 94.3
Jaylen Waddle 93.7
Rashod Bateman 93.2

I’m not saying moving permanently. Just rotate. Like a D-line. Maybe even finding matchups somehow.

Linderbaum is 6’3 291. IE very light in the britches to play OG. Ragnow however is 6’5 311 and played OG for us as a rookie. Brown is a good backup Center and at 320, he could play OG as well. This all could work and very well. Dump Vaitai and his contract. Install Linderbaum at Center. Move Ragnow to RG and Brown is a swing backup.

I know many will say Ragnow was ok at OG, then moved to Center and became a PBer. While that is true on it’s face, it totally assumes the guy just didn’t get better at being an interior Olineman period with more time being one in the NFL. I’m not saying we “should,” I’m just saying we “could” do it like that and I have to believe with that front, we are better day one.