A story as it relates to Dan Campbell

I was going to put this in the thread discussing the greatest UofO pro prospect ever thread but I think it’s worthy of it’s own thread.

So in August of 2019 my buddy who had moved to Portland is in town asks me to meet him at a popular Mexican joint in town (Eugene, OR). My buddy was raised in Memphis but his folks are from Mississippi and as a result are huge Alabama football fans (don’t ask me. I guess the Bear dominated the south back then). Point being that my friend is an Alabama die hard.

So Mario Cristoball is there with his coaches. We notice him. Todd (my buddy) is talking about how good his O-Lines were, etc. Todd’s fiancé is like “go say hello. He’s the head coach. He’s running for mayor all the time.” But Todd is skiddish. So Mario, the strength coach, and a couple other guys (position coaches I presume), pay their check and on their way out walk by the bar where we are seated . I thought my friend deserved to meet him so I say, “excuse me, coach. I’d like to introduce you to my friend. You’ll have to excuse him for still being a Crimson Tide fan but he’s a big fan of yours as well.” And Mario was awesome. Probably spent 2 minutes talking to my friend about Bama. Made him feel really valued.

As I mentioned we’re at a Mexican restaurant, I’m like two margaritas in and my defense mechanism that protects myself from myself has eroded so I turn to Mario and say, “Is it really true that Nick Saban is 5’6”?” Which immediately realize is an incredibly obnoxious and disrespectful thing to say about someone’s mentor, but such is my reality. Mario responds with “when Nick looks in the mirror he sees a 6’6” guy and ultimately that’s what really matters.” He pats me on the shoulder and says “you guys have a goodnight.”

I was so impressed. I was a butthead and he handled it with grace and still made his point. Just a world class people person. Rare interpersonal intelligence at work.

Well, I see Dan in that vein. There is some conjecture of course. I’ve never met him but he similarly seems to have the “it factor.”

My question is this: if that is the case, outside of recruiting free agents (and I do think we’ve witnessed that effect), how does that quality most benefit us?

3 Likes

Awesome story man thank you for sharing!

I think MCDC’s approach benefits us not only in FA acquisition, but also team building, buy in, coaching staff (as evidenced by having an enviable staff) and also team perception. I think this last one may be the more important side, or at least the more significant PR side. But his and Holme’s willingness to give so many interviews is a complete 180 from the previous staff.

You can be open and honest and still play your cards close to your vest. I feel thus far they have done this very well. Yet they are still relatable and likable, which is far more than the previous regime could say.

Being open, honest and well liked, while still being vague and reserved about your thoughts and the team will serve them well, I think. The proof will be in the results of course… but I think they are absolutely taking the modern and smart approach to building a new era of Detroit Lions football

1 Like

Someone said months ago, “Spielman hired himself.”
I think this is true.
I think these dudes will be highly professional and dot I’s and cross T’s. I also think people will very much want to work with/for Coach Dan.

Players will love him, and FAs will like to play for him, as well as coaches.

Dan will go through some growing pains here, no doubt. He is humble enough to learn and grow with his lumps.
Players will add input and we will operate more like a unit of brotherhood.
This has potential to be really good.

1 Like