Aaron Donald wants a new deal, threatening to retire

fortunately, they don’t have any high draft picks affecting the cap, but still…

Anyway, the potential to improve the Lions magic bean in Rd 1?

https://media.giphy.com/media/x7gjmBuaHrWak/giphy.gif

1 Like

Or give 3 first rounds and sign him to a massive deal

Well, at least they could afford to buy a Super Bowl last year.

2 Likes

We can trade Brocker to them for 2 firsts.
LOL

5 Likes

I highly doubt we make a play for Donald…I’d like our defense if we did but the man is thinking about retiring to, so what a 1-year rental ? anyway it goes it may be too pricey for us.

5 Likes

He gets traded to the lions and he may just retire before jumping on the plane. Regardless of where it looks like we are going i dont believe a defending SB champ Defensive MVP that reportedly is considering retiring/one more year would make the transition to detroit unless we gave him a crazy amount of our available resources.

Brockers may end up as feeling generally disgruntled.
I don’t think there are many (if any) teams that will want to pay a massive contract for a dude who is nearing the end of his prime.

1 Like

exactly.

He’ll stay with the Rams - there’s no urgency to get it done. They’ll prob offer him an increase for either 2 or 3 years. If he was seriously looking to get out of LA, I think lots of teams would jump on it (e.g. Browns, Dolphins, Packers, Bengals, Broncos, Chiefs, etc).

We are not yet ready for big contracts.
in a year or two we can try to sign some of the best players in the position where we will be the weakest.
For now, it’s a little premature to spend the money on a nice try, in fact Flowers is free, maybe to give him another chance.

3 Likes

I would assume this to be a leverage tactic only. They will pay him and he will be there for this next run.

3 Likes

If they want to extend Donald, they can extend him AND free up cap space in 2022.

3 Likes

Exactly! They just won the super bowl, they aren’t going to trade away their best player. Donald just wants more cash. He won’t be traded and he is for sure not retiring. The Rams got a legit shot to repeat. The NFC is pretty weak compared to the AFC and Donald is a game wrecker.

1 Like

IMO, they go from Superbowl contenders with Donald to fighting for a wild card without. He has that big an impact. He makes everyone around them better. Their next best D-Lineman is probably A’Shawn Robinson. Their best pass rusher is probably Leonard Floyd, who is solid, but not elite by any means. At LB’er they have Wagner and little else. Their secondary has Ramsey and Fuller, but how well will the rest of those guys hold up without Donald wrecking things up front.

Donald has all the leverage in the world here and the Rams will blow their load now to repeat, even if that means putting tons of dead cap in future years.

2 Likes

The Rams are going to be doing some cap gymnastics by 2024, unless they intend to blow the whole thing up. Stafford alone has a 49mil cap hit. Add in Ramsey, Donald, Floyd, Kupp (needs extended), Robinson, Noteboom, and Wagner and your looking at another 140mil or so barring restructures.
Right there is almost 190mil and even with the cap expected to increase a ton, they are going to have work to due. Even if the rest of the 53 man roster averaged a 2mil salary (will likely be a lot higher), thats another 90mil.

Interesting:
If, for some reason, Donald decides not to play, it will be interesting to see the size of the bill the Rams send Donald. He earned a $5 million roster bonus on March 21. The Rams surely would want that, since it was part of his 2022 compensation. Then there’s $8 million in unearned signing bonus money. Would the Rams want that, too?

If so, that’s $13 million the Rams would be able to pursue from Donald. As Donald considers what to do, that’s a fairly important factor for Donald to consider, along with every other one that will go into the process of making a decision.

1 Like

The rams have lots of ways to increase the cap including restructuring his contract.

He could decide to sit out the first half of the season and unretire if the Rams look like contenders again. He’d be owed less money but could only play when it counts and if they falter, well he doesn’t waste his body on a lost cause.

Rams may be OK with this as well.’

I think we are going to see this phenomenon more and more. Free agents and those on a final year contract can trade to a contender or sit out the season for a bit and become available if the team is doing well. Suh looks like he may be going that route as well.

2 Likes

Donald would probably pull a Gronkowski.

1 Like

That was a pretty clear warning sign about Matt Patricia and Bob Quinn’s leadership, when one of their former players would rather retire than play for him.

2 Likes

Thank goodness we took Eric Ebron and don’t have to worry about this nonsense…

4 Likes