Adam Humphries cut by Titans

He was only 2 years into his 4 year deal.

Humphries had two years left on a four-year deal signed with Tennessee in 2019. The WR’s release clears $4.75 million in cap space in 2021, but also leaves behind $5 million in dead money this season.

In seven games last season, Humphries caught 23 balls for 228 yards and two scores. The WR was off and on the reserve/COVID-19 list all year. He leaves the Titans with 60 catches for 602 yards and four TDs, a far cry from the production he established in his four years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Not sure what happened to him in TEN but he looked like an emerging star in TB. I recall him being discussed on the board fairly heavily. There were a few posters pounding the table for us to get him as a
Slot guy.

If you look at his stats … he never seemed to get the opportunities in Ten. He wasn’t targeted all that much. I know injuries were part of the problem there but he never seems to catch on there either.

Going to be 28 before the season starts.

Averaged a pedestrian 10.5 ypc in 4 seasons with the Bucs and only 9 TD receptions.

Not worth pursuing IMO.

1 Like

One year deal for one million. We need wr bad. I think we are going to sign at least 2 and draft one. He could be one year gap

Humphries missed final 8 games of 2020 due to a concussion. He also had a concussion in 2016.

GM Jon Robinson indicated recently that he couldn’t be sure that Humphries would be able to play soon.

In 2019, Humphries also missed 4 regular season games and their 2 playoff games with a significant high ankle sprain.

2 Likes

I would say the emergence of Jonnu Smith at TE and the drafting of AJ Brown in 2019 were big reasons.

In addition, Derrick Henry’s carries jumped from 215 in 2018… to 303 in 2019… to 378 in 2020.
Titans moved even more towards power run game and play action.

Titans ran a lot of 12 personnel (2 TE sets) to run more.
In 2019… TEs played a lot of snaps.
Jonnu Smith… 71% snap count.
MyCole Pruitt… 44% snaps.
Anthony Firkser… 20% snaps.
Delanie Walker… 19.5% snaps.

Humphries played only 38% of snaps in 2019… but did miss 4 games.

In 2020…
Jonnu … 69% of snaps
Swaim… 33%
Firsker… 32.4%
Pruitt… 24.4%
Humphries … 21.4% (only 7 games though)

It was Arthur Smith’s 1st year as a OC, but I think the real change that took Humphries out of their plans was Tannehill becoming the starter.

Tannehill became the starter in week 7 of 2019.
At that time, Derrick Henry was averaging less than 90 yards rushing per game on about 19 carries per gameHis yards per carry was less than 4ypc.

Starting in week 7, Henry got 21 carries per game for his final 9 games, and averaged about 115 yards per game.

I think Tannehill’s effectiveness on downfield throws out of play action dramatically changed their offense… leading to more use of that 12 personnel group.

All good reasons to avoid looking at him.

1 Like

WGAF?

Because any $ saved by the Titans, especially by cutting a WR, increases the odds of a long term deal with Corey Davis and him being off thr market.

Otherwise yeah, no interest in a guy whose brain is one pop away from being Swiss cheese for most of the season.