Aikman for GM, Del Rio for HC

Probably, I just posted who I would like to see.

I wouldn’t compare Aikman to Millen without including John Lynch

Well, to be fair, Kyle Shanahan hired Lynch, not the 49ers owners

Yes. I have said for months that Aikman would be my choice.

1 Like

Throw Mike Mayock in there as well.

2 Likes

@ Iggy14…Yes I should have included Mike Mayock on my take…but @Guitargod19…how do you know Kyle Shanahan hired John Lynch to be his boss??

Yeah the 49ers organization gave Kyle total control to hire the GM. Lol.

Herman Moore put out a video talking up Chris Spielman for GM and he made some pretty good points. I wouldn’t mind if he was targeted to run through the gauntlet.

Herman moore has me on the spielman gm train

3 Likes

Because Shanahan already was the coach and met with Lynch along with other candidates before the tram hired him as GM.

Hire a broadcaster to be the GM…whats the worst that can happen? :rofl:

Mayock’s job was a talent evaluator… Aikman’s job is to talk football, there’s a difference. I still wouldn’t want a first time GM with no experience when there are other proven candidates available.

So we hired, by most accounts, one of the most highly regarded people available for GM for his ability to qualify NFL talent. What did we get? Well, we got a guy who wasn’t very good at evaluating college players ability to make the leap to the NFL. The list of early busts is known to all of us, but he was the right guy!!! I’ll tell you what is worse, and no one has mentioned it, spending money on players who are clearly past their prime or never had one, (see Vaitai). Cutting drafted players costs very little. Swing and a miss, no harm done. You obviously can’t miss on all of them but the point is the financial hardship is fairly negligible. Miss on virtually ALL of your FA’s and you screw the cap for years. Trade the only ProBowl talent on your teams D, drag out signing your best WR, etc, these moves are just as and maybe more important than the draft.

Evaluation goes well past the draft.

The comparisons to Millen are fair until they’re not. It’s really interesting to listen to Matt evaluating college players these days because I find myself agreeing with him all the time. When he was covering IOWA he praised their OC Tyler Linderbaum, and he is all that. Why that never translated to his approach to the draft is frankly baffling. It’s like these guys finally get the job and decide it’s time to get cute,(see Tavai, Tabor, etc) for Quinn, BMW et al for Millen. For me, I think Aikman and Del Rio would compliment each others backgrounds.

Don’t like it, fine, but I’ll bet large that almost every single one of you was OK with the Quinn. I was, because I was told that a process was in place that we had not previously taken advantage of and it would yield a talented and qualified candidate. It didn’t, and here we are.

I’d rather have Speilman over Aikman. And Spellman would be a horrible pick as GM.

Aikman’s been in the announcers booth for nearly 20 years. I’m not sure that translates into being a good GM. What am I missing man?

Not sure about Del Rio either. I think he could turn Detroit into a .500ish, Caldwell-esque sort of of team, but nothing more.

I’m not sure I can get on board this Aikman/Del Rio train, even though I do like Del Rio.

You want Alonzo Spellman as our GM?!?!
That might be fun.

Lol, no, meant Chris.

You missed the fact that you got trolled. Don’t overthink it.

1 Like

If we hire Aikman to do anything, it’s my out of this shit show.

1 Like

@Guitargod19…I read that article. I don’t necessarily think it meant that Kyle Shanahan hired John Lynch because from what I have read a lot of new coaches who are hired are informing owners of the GM that they want to work with. I mean he surely could have, but the article didn’t strike me as such other than that is the new era of new coaching/GM hires.