Am I the Only One Who Didn’t Care that Tucker Made It?

But if we were going to draft a QB, not saying we are, wouldn’t you want to keep both Decker and Sewell to help protect him!?

5 Likes

I’ll bet the rams would trade us their 2024 first rounder for decker next offseason. :joy:

The problem I have with that is you open another hole to be filled. If Jackson keeps playing poorly you already would need two new guards.

It’s about opportunity cost, in economic terms. What does Decker bring and what COULD he bring from a first round pick. Could mean the difference between getting the next Mahomes or not.

If you’re a good talent evaluator - and I believe Holmes is - you should be able to find your RT with all your draft capital.

I don’t want to move Sewell from LT. That’s where he belongs. It just so happens that he’s replacing a guy who is actually worth heavy return for your rebuild. If he was replacing a below average starter then you move the incumbent over to RT and don’t think twice.

Yes, there are loads of great rushers coming from the RT’s side, but it’s STILL the side the QB can see better. Get me that guy with a third rounder and then Holmes is a stud GM.

And let’s not forget that the Lions have TWO first rounders in 2023. If need be use one of them for your RT. Then you can plug in the rook QB you sat for his first season.

Reading what extreme beanheads want to do makes my head hurt.

2 Likes

Dude, if we go 3-14 I’m going to seriously worry about MCDC’s future here.

And for the record, I’m a big fan of him.

History generally does not smile upon those HCs who go 3-13/14 in their first season.

1 Like

What choice do the Lions have? No free agents want to come here without paying through the nose and killing your cap. You have to get them through the draft at the start of the rebuild.

Once you have some momentum, the “magic beans” mean less and less. The Lions finally have a real GM in terms of talent evaluation. Give him the beans.

We’re going here on recency bias, I think, after having Quinn as a GM. Holmes traded Stafford for the beans he needs to bring this franchise back to life. I look at the young talent he’s already identified and I’m impressed. Give him more beans, I say.

The Lions can’t afford to address their problems through free agency, at least right now. They need as many high picks as they can get.

1 Like

The Chiefs moved up from 27th to get Mahomes. Everything you said after that has nothing to do with the first part.

If the Lions trade Decker, they have the capital to move up. That’s the point.

Thank you. But I’m sure we’ll get another Jimmy frickin Johnson reference from the damn 80s. :rofl:

Extreme beanheads. I have a new term now!

2 Likes

You’re on a roll today. lol.

There is literally no blueprint to revive the Detroit Lions. Worst NFL franchise ever. No point in even comparing Campbell to any other HC until the talent improves. This is Holmes baby to resurrect. Then DC has a chance.

Herm Edwards wants a word with you

herm GIF

1 Like

Sure, and they did. A valiant effort.

But long term, is the loss a big deal? Nope. It’s actually a growth experience. They need to learn to scratch and claw from the opening kickoff and learn how to win. They are on the right path. They do have a talent deficit…

Johnny Carson Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

I mean yes, sure. Let’s not trade the great Taylor Decker for a first round pick. And let’s focus on surrounding the great Jarrod Goff with everything he needs to be a SB winner. While we’re at it, lets keep Flowers and Vaitai and all the other dead weight this team has. Why would we ever think of creative ways to move on from this mess?

As a fairly recent Lions example Jim Schwartz went 2-14 his 1st year and had us in the playoffs year 3.

1 Like

I’m certainly not going to trash Jim Schwartz, but I wouldn’t consider him a success story either.

That’s definitely its own animal, for sure. And it was a 2 game improvement over the previous season.

2 Likes

We definitely should have won more with him. At least Schwartz’s teams were no push over. The point I was making is 1st year record as coach doesn’t always mean much. Sometimes it does, especially if the team has a talented roster already.

I think in many ways Schwartz and Campbell have similar situations. Both taking over complete rebuilds. Schwartz got Marinelli’s 0-16 team and Campbell inherited the Patracia disaster. One of the main reasons Caldwell had success is that he inherited a pretty solid roster.

1 Like

Agreed. I can’t really call the guy a failure. He did what he came here to do, which was improve a historically bad team. I really wish he would have had more success. I really liked the team under him.

1 Like