Amani Oruwariye is becoming elite before our eyes

Not gonna lie, I was worried going into this year, because of how the scheme so heavily relied upon Okudah and Oruwariye to be The Guys at corner, something neither had never quite done before.

But AO has taken it and ran with it.

9 Likes

Very close to 7 picks on the sideline last week, he’s a ballhawk for sure. He also dropped another pick vs the Bears on Thanksgiving. The dude aint far from leading the nfl in picks.

3 Likes

Everyone wants to anoint AG as a genius but Pleasant our secondary coach might be our best hire.

12 Likes

His biggest knock, going into the season, was his repeated habit of not turning around and looking for the ball at the crucial instant where an interception may be realized. Perhaps DB Coach Pleasant has drilled that aspect into his coaching of Amari, and it is achieving results on the defensive end.

What he lacks in speed, he makes up in guile and new found experience. Good to see.

1 Like

Shhhhhh! Now we gotta pay him!

2 Likes

Could be, but AG was a stud corner in the nfl for a decade, I’ll go with it’s a team effort. Both Pleasant and AG deserve credit.

5 Likes

We need to lock him down. Period. He is a building block player. Tracy Walker too.

2 Likes

A prime example of why giving up on young corners (cough Okudah cough) is foolish especially any player that played under Patricia.

That doesn’t mean AO has “arrived” necessarily but he’s taken a big step, obviously.

1 Like

He showed flashes since rookie year imo
With some timely play making

1 Like

funny thing… there were people here giving him props 3 weeks before he became a “story” to write… but some still doubting him.

3 Likes

There were some signs there during the 2020 season as well.

And it started in training camp

1 Like

Next step, shutdown CB:

2 Likes

He doesn’t lack speed. Why do lions fans think if a corner runs a 4.45 he’s slow?

3 Likes

For a guy that size, his speed in the 40 is in the top 13%.

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=27516

1 Like

That kinda is a shutdown CB.

1 Like

He has given up some big plays at times, so wouldn’t call him a shut down guy yet. I think that’s what AG is getting at. But, he’s been a playmaker for sure. He’s got a little Dre Bly in him with those ball skills.

1 Like

And we all know the Lions somehow don’t have as much money as teams like Tampa Bay that pay all of those guys because there isn’t anything like a salary cap in this league.

Fans as a whole: stop acting like we don’t have money to pay Walker and Harris and Oruwariye and a top WR in free agency. Also stop acting like every single player that’s good for us has some other team that’s going to pay more for them than us. We’re Detroit. Everyone here is underrated.

1 Like

Impossible for you to know this, but my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I 100% agree with you. Pay the players. Great teams fill in the rest no matter what.

1 Like

Developing your own players, having them blossom, and signing them to second contracts.

What a concept!

4 Likes