Amani Oruwariye, Penei Sewell earn Lions top PFF grades in Week 12

A little Love to Amani you want a bright spot here’s one this guy is coming along nicely. Jerry Jacobs and Austin Bryant have also be mentioned a few times, the one thing I do like is the player development.

8 Likes

IMO our defense has played well for the most part with what they have, lots of injuries, especially in the secondary, along with a poor pass rush

Anthony Pleasant has done a tremendous job with the secondary.

Love to find a way to get Hutchinson and Hamilton in this 1st and come back with Christian Harris or Brandon Smith at 33. Playmaker at all 3 levels.

On offense, I am targeting wide receivers and a back up QB in free agency

1 Like

You no what’s funny about this defense,

The secondary is probably the most improved unit, these guys seem to keep getting better and have made some plays on the ball

Next the LBers I’m not sure this group is good but I do know they are improved alot over Patricias and last year.

Next is the Dline this is the unit that is not producing, absolutely no in side pressure QBs step up and avoid our rush with ease. This unit is exactly the same as it was in Patricias defense, 3 man rushes, no push in the middle.

Now let’s look at the resources used for each.

Secondary a 3 Rd pic that hasn’t played ,UDFAs and Dean Marlowe as a FA. Yet it’s the best unit. Pretty good

Next Lbers we got mid Rd Barnes, this unit is improving alot of left overs making a difference. This group Better

Dline let’s see 3 of out top resources went to this group With Brockers, 2nd RD Levi, 3rd RD McNeil , you add in Romeo and Flowers that’s a lot of resources way more then any other position. Yet it is by far the worst unit and the only one not improving. Even with all the resources invested.

2 Likes

Interesting that Barnes is so lowly graded. He just never really developed this year. Even the undrafted FAs in the secondary have made more progress (which is impressive). Jerry in particular has impressed me.

With Thor becoming a FA and Barnes having a disappointing rookie year - LB should be a major priority next offseason.

Brockers got terrible ratings. What a huge disappointment he has been.

6 Likes

If we keep walker im pretty happy with our secondary.

AO, Jacobs and AJ as corners, walker at S and I’d move Okudah to S. Then find one more talented corner.

That isn’t going to be the best unit in league but a good young unit that would be one more CB away in my opinion.

They are also playing with a piss poor pash rush

2 Likes

Iffy may turn into something and he is already on the roster

Brockers has been invisible all year. Sometimes that is a good thing. This time it is not.

Better learn to live him, I think he has a roster spot next year just due to his contract.

I guess maybe we won’t feel withdrawal from overpaid system guys once Flowers leaves

2 Likes

Agreed on the D-line on pass. However, the past 3 games I have seen big improvement versus the run. Yes, we need help in getting to the QB from the line. Is this coaching or talent?

1 Like

Amani has been good ! Gotta keep him to help establish culture of lions keeping their own good players

2 Likes

Wooooord…

BIG deal.
Let’s get that fixed - ASAP.

1 Like

is there any chance that Okudah turns out to be an okay starter?

• 25%
  • 50%
  • 75%
  • Greater than 75%
0 voters

Imo he was still graded as one of top corners in that draft so if nfl scouting is decent
It seems like he could be a contributor in nfl unless the body doesn’t recover. He’s had significant injuries so far but he also seems willing to do the work. Jerry Jacobs who seemed to gravitate to Okudah is having a good year so maybe okudah as a pro confidant helped Jerry unlock his potential
At same time lions look at bit like they could be deeper than a lot of teams in the secondary and they’re so young …they got guys to develop.

1 Like

I went 75% because …why not ? Lol

1 Like

He just never developed because Anzalone stayed on the field, regardless of his play. Derrick should be getting on the field experience, this is his rookie season, the time when he should be developed, not sitting on the sidelines. This is another example of poor coaching, along with the in game mental errors. This staff is on the hot seat.

Sewell has been getting better and better all season. It’s scary to think what our O-line would be without him right now.

3 Likes

Anzalone is playing decent and he is the guy relaying the calls on defense. There is a reason he needs to be out there as JRM and Barnes are clearly not ready for that. JRM is young and outperforming Barnes. There are only two ILB spots I get playing the young guys trust me, but we are already having communication issues can you imagine if we have the play calling duties to Barnes or JRM, it would be a disaster.

1 Like

…and what it will look like, when we get brother Frank out there, next season. :wink:

1 Like

I take a different approach to this. I think you would lose that team’s veterans in a hot second if you put in a rookie that has not earned the minutes. It’s not like Barnes was a first round pick. He’s a fourth rounder for a reason and he needs time to develop. A first rounder you could probably justify and the team would get behind it. Try the same thing with a fourth rounder and you have some splainin’ to do Lucy.

2 Likes

Because Achilles says so.