Amazing CBS question about injuries

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Billy Sims was my first thought for the Lions prior.
Reggie Williams and Utley are my sentimental picks

10 Likes

We keep billy sims we don’t have barry. butterfly acl effect.

3 Likes

That was the first one that immediately came to mind.

1 Like

Probably true.

My first thought was Billy Sims.

But also I would have loved to see Jahvid Best minus the concussions that ultimately ended his career.

Some other names that come to mind for me as a Lions fan:

Jerry Ball
Reggie Brown
Bryant Westbrook

6 Likes

First thought for me was Charles Rogers.

6 Likes

My first thought was Billy Sims as well, but Rogers might be it.
The guy could have been HOF. The injuries led to opioid addiction and the rest is SAD ass history. What could have been!!

2 Likes

somewhat curious about chuck hughes who, in perfect detroit lions history, is the only NFL player to die on the field.

I mean look at his college records:

Hughes played college football at Texas Western College, now the University of Texas at El Paso,[2] where he is still listed in the all-time football records; his accomplishments include:

The most all-purpose yards in a single game, 401 in 1965 against North Texas State (he is also second with 360 the same year against Arizona State)
The most yards per reception for a single game, 34.9, also in 1965 against North Texas—this is also an NCAA record
The most receptions in a single game, 17, also against Arizona State in 1965
Second in all-purpose yards for a season, with 2044 in 1966
First in all-purpose yards per game for a season, 204 in 1965
Second in all-purpose yards per game for his career with 132
Fifth in all-purpose yards all-time with 3,989
Second in career receiving touchdowns with 19 and yardage with 2,882
He was inducted into the UTEP Athletics Hall of Fame in 2006.[5]

2 Likes

Billy Sims

Bo Jackson

Cooper Manning

4 Likes

Non football but the biggest what if in Detroit sports for me was always Konstantinov. He was blossoming into one of the most feared defensemen in the league. How many championships would they have won if he got to play through his prime with him and Lidstrom back there?

6 Likes

I would have loved to see what mikel leshoure would have been without that Achilles injury. The guy was big fast and powerful coming out of college. He never got that burst back.

4 Likes

In my world
Lions still draft Barry after a healthy Billy

1 Like

Bo Jackson

4 Likes

Possible. Billy would have been completing season 9 at age 33 in 1988. The only issue is would the team have been bad enough to draft 3rd where Barry went? KC takes Barry then and not Derrick Thomas at 3? Butterfly effect indeed.

1 Like

I’m torn on this one but I’d have liked to see sterling sharpe without that injury. Same for tony boselli.

In a non football sense The two I’d pick in baseball are Joel zumaya and Mickey mantle. Mantle without that devastating knee injury would have done things never seen before. Basketball would obviously be grant hill.

3 Likes

Reggie Brown he was turning into a stud linebacker

Mike Utley he was becoming a force on the line until the injury

5 Likes

So much changes
Including who lions draft over the next half of Billy’s career
But if we play the make up game
My theory is lions make a trade up nabbing Barry so he’s still a lion.

Back to back first round hall of fame running backs that led a dynasty

It isn’t an injury but can we go back and stop Eric andolsek from getting killed? He was a rising guard and would have made the lions very good up front playing next to Lomas and glover.

4 Likes

Can you imagine that line? Lomas, Andosek, Utley and Glover!! Top it off with Barry behind them
No Way Wow GIF by The Ringer