Amon-Ra is very good, but is he an elite WR?

A good question to debate.

He’s sure playin like one

5 Likes

I think he is currently an elite WR, he’s playing at an elite level this year.

“Elite” is a fluid thing, I think a lot of players have moments in their career where they play at an elite level and therefore at that point in time are elite.

The real question is how long can he sustain it, and the longer you sustain playing at an elite level the question then becomes are they a HOF level player.

12 Likes

I think so. He isn’t as flashy as Jefferson or Chase. Not as fast either. Won’t have the long TDs they have, or out jump the DBs to get a ball.

But. He will block hard on every play. Fight for every yard. Have great hands. Always get you the 1st when you need it

7 Likes

He and Jamieson should complement each other very well. I predict that in four or 5 years when they have to decide who to resign and who to trade or let go, St. Brown will be the more important piece.

6 Likes

Well put.

I also think there is something to the question of can he be covered/shutdown by an elite DB? I’ve never really seen him be shut down and it’s hard to line up with him because they move him all over the formation.

7 Likes

Excellent point. I’d have to go back and look but the games he hasn’t had great numbers this year I feel have been because he was injured. Otherwise he is almost always open! And even when he’s not, he’s proven he can make the contested catch, like against the Jags. I’m still amazed he hung onto that early one where it was tipped/bobbled and he caught it against his helmet, got hit immediately and still made the catch.

4 Likes

Yes he is elite. He’s a top 10 WR right now IMO.

10 Likes

Lets pose this question instead. Lets take contract out the equation because St. Brown is on his rookie deal which makes him even more valuable. If you could trade St. Brown for any WR in the NFL, player for player trade, who would you trade him for?

Jamar Chase
Justin Jefferson
AJ Brown

Thats the list for me. Thats it. There maybe a couple more tossups like

CeeDee Lamb
Jaylen Waddle
Tyreek Hill

That would be it for me. Now I’m not saying St. Brown is better then every other WR, but when you factor in his age, there are less than 5 WR’s in the NFL I would want instead.

5 Likes

He is on pace for about 108 receptions and 1175 yards receiving this year. The receptions tell more than the yards I think, because he isn’t necessarily a deep threat but he’s always open and always gets first downs/YAC.

He has 4 games so far where he’s gotten over 100 yards, and minus the Dallas and NE game he’s had over 50 yards receiving in ever other game.

1 Like

Do we even care? Does it even matter? Is chase elite? Jefferson elite? Waddle elite? Diggs elite? His numbers match up. His attitude matches up. His toughness is on par. His mentality is superior. Debate if he is elite…………he’s too busy setting records and growing to care.

11 Likes

6 carries for 83 yards and 2 first downs isn’t too shabby either.

3 Likes

Foundational to an offense, not necessarily elite. However, foundational might be superior to elite, depending on how you look at it.

Elite gives you big play ability.

Foundational keeps the offense ticking.

Green Bay let go of a guy that was both.

3 Likes

In his last 17 games, which is one full season. 127 catches - 12 TD’s - Enough said.

Oh and he might be the best run blocking WR in the league.

9 Likes

St Brown is an interesting case because there’s no singular attribute you can point to and make a historical comparison.

I think, probably the closest comparison for me would be a hybrid of Terrell Owens and Tom Waddle. St Brown isn’t fast, but he’s smooth. He’s not sudden, but he has a knack for getting open. He works hard mentally and physically and it shows.

You look at his pro day numbers, 6.9 three cone, 4.61 40, 127 broad jump, short of 6 foot tall, 30 someodd inch TRex arms, sub 10 inch hands. Nothing screams, "hey we have to have this guy ". He’s a football player who is showing that desire can still trump analytics.

Who knows if it lasts? I’m just happy we have him.

3 Likes

Dudes got an elite game going for him. Kind of reminds me of Hines Ward. Always open and rarely drops a ball. Blocks like he’s an offensive lineman. I’m not sure any other wr comes to this team and makes a bigger impact on this offense. He literally keeps drives going. One of my favorite players in the NFL. Stud!!

8 Likes

You know who else didn’t have great numbers… dude ran a 4.7 - Jerry Rice was his name.

5 Likes

Right. The OP posted a good article. I guess my thing is w the WS, why is that even a debate. We are winning and he is a huge reason why. And it’s not a matchup dependent thing. He isn’t showing up only against the weaker teams. NO ONE has an answer for him. So like to me some things are like self-explanatory. Do we sit and debate if mahomes is elite? Do we debate if Josh Allen or diggs is elite? We recognize their game and recognize greatness. Dude is killing it……if he isn’t elite what the hell are we looking at and what the hell determines that status…….we will not lose bc ARSB didn’t show up in the biggest of games…….that will never happen.

4 Likes

For sure, the sport talk shows just love to debate this stuff, great for clicks and ratings. You know how it is. St. Brown is a stud, wouldn’t trade him for anyone. When he was hurt, the offense went to shit real fast

5 Likes

It’s the way of the world. The funny things that I get annoyed by. More power to them……it’s a fun way to make a living.
mad gran torino GIF

3 Likes