An update to my QB philosophy

Eh, I’ll have to go back and look because that’s a little foggy to me at the moment.

(Sarcasm, it was you).

homer simpson crow GIF

I’ll take a pocket passer with our OL that has quick reads but also has a strong arm and can throw off his back foot.

I feel like the traits for a successful QB will never change. Having the ability to read defenses, anticipate throwing windows, and when you do make the correct read - throw it with effective velocity and with accuracy and placement.

To me, mobility is icing on the cake.

I do think LionBlood makes a great point about having the ability to throw off-platform too. That is very hard to scheme against defensively.

These traits though, also make it one of the hardest, if not the hardest, position to evaluate. At least in regards to the ability to read and process defenses and make the right throw at the right time. With some guys the light turns on. With others, the light never does. And not only that, you have to put the QB in a position to succeed as an organization which can be a delicate matter as well.

2 Likes

hannibal lecter 90s GIF

3 Likes

3 Likes

You’re wrong. It’s 120 days until the NFL draft.

2 Likes

I guess I’m not in the camp on a few things. One, I don’t think the Woody Hayes playbook is going to make a comeback and two, the era of the highly mobile QB isn’t done because AG shut down Kyler Murray playing a terrible game. (Missing passes he doesn’t usually miss). I put accuracy as a trait over high level mobility by a long shot. But I will indeed continue to look at QB’s like Willis as a potential high ceiling player in the NFL. Due to who he plays against and how much Liberty relies on him making every play, there is going to be an adjustment period. But viewing him as only a running QB is simply not a fair assessment.

Willis won’t fall out of the first round. I do not think he will make it to our 1b. He will walk in with arguably the biggest arm in the draft, with plenty of tape of him looking off DB’s and throwing accurate darts before WR’s are making their cuts (anticipation). He can throw with touch and with good ball placement. He ALSO can rip you apart running the ball. He’s not prototype tall, but he’s a stout dude. He isn’t a top 5 prospect, but that’s ok. An NFL offense will have him in the pocket a lot more and I think that will actually help Willis. But the fact remains that pockets break down ALL. THE. TIME. Nothing is going to change that, no matter how many 1st round picks you want to throw at it. With guys like Goff, more often than not, its play over (at best). A guy like Willis has an ability to just shed guys who have a free run at him. It’s during these plays where a mobile QB has a huge advantage and IMHO teams will continue to seek out prospects who can do both and invest heavily into guys like that.

I like Corral too, although I think his arm isn’t what Willis’ is. He is a mobile guy who may be the first selected because of the top level of competition he’s played against and numbers he’s put up against those teams. I think Corral has the higher floor due to polish and competition, and Willis the higher ceiling having the bigger arm, stouter body type and plus level wheels.

1 Like

Exactly why I’m taking a serious look at Carson strong at the bottom of the first or top of the second.

My only issue with him really is that there’s QB’s that don’t move well and there’s QB’s that can’t move at all. He pretty much is that guy who can’t move. He has the arm, not sure about his field of vision because his highlights are of him falling back and throwing long.

1 Like

A quarterback that can’t run at all is fine if he’s good at moving in the pocket. Like Tom Brady and Manning were.

2 Likes

Can’t figure out the formatting, but here’s an excerpt from a Bucky Brooks article on changing dynamics in the league. Football forums tend to foster a lot of cliche and traditional beliefs about the right way to win and build a team. Don’t let the internet convince you that the change that’s already happened isn’t going to happen. The league wants fireworks on offense, not old school pound the rock for four quarters. They control the rule book and prime time slotting.

The prototype for NFL quarterbacks has been changing in recent years, but those two nights really cemented the transition. Now it’s time for the football world to acknowledge – and embrace – the new landscape of the position.

The top QBs in the game today are breaking traditional norms, and inherently changing the way scouts evaluate the position. Instead of looking for polished pocket passers with textbook footwork and mechanics, talent evaluators and coaches are more willing to take chances on raw athletes and build around their strengths as explosive playmakers.

“This movement has been in the works for years,” an AFC assistant college scouting director told me. "It is the trickle-up effect. High schools and colleges are putting their best athletes at quarterback and letting them run around to make plays. The NFL has started to adapt because these guys are entering the league and making the same kinds of plays. Plus, the speed and athleticism of the defensive linemen force you to play with a mobile quarterback or a guy that gets the ball out of his hands quickly.

“Quarterbacks have to be more than traditional pocket passers to play in this league. You need athletes who can make plays with their minds, arm and legs.”

In basketball terms, coaches are looking for scorers instead of shooters – the ability to “get buckets” is changing the way evaluators are grading the position.

“You want guys who make plays,” an AFC college scouting director said. “If your quarterback can pick up a few first downs on his own and find different ways to help the offense score points, you can live with a few flaws. It’s about doing enough to win games.”

In that case we should drafted Justin Faileds?

Running ability is great if they QB can actually be a QB first.

You have to be able to throw the ball when needed in the NFL.

Heck, Lamar hasnt even proven he can do it consistently enough.

Kyler as well.

Keep these guys in the pocket and they’re better than Rodgers, Carr, Brady, Cousins.

Matt Corral…597 yards rushing and 11 TD’s and 22 sacks
Malik Willis…878 yards rushing and 13 TD’s and 51 sacks
Kenny Pickett…241 and 5 and 29 sacks
Sam Howell…825 and 11 and 44 sacks
Desmond Ridder…371 and 6 and 20 sacks
Carson Strong…Minus 208 and 0 and 37 sacks

This is my problem with Strong, played well against lesser competition but still ended up with negative yardage in the area’s that gauge his movement. Like, not even close when compared to his peers. They were 8-4 regular season and if it weren’t for 2 defensive TD’s vs San Jose St, they’re a pedestrian 7-5. I readily admit I haven’t seen enough to really know his game but I don’t want a pocket passer who is a statue.

Carson Strong is a statue. Peyton Manning-eqsue.

But if he can make the right reads and hot routes off pressure and get rid of the ball it dont matter.

He has a more narrow window for success w/o being able to move a little.

Kyler is not a running QB.

However, Josh Allen is 3rd with the most rushing yards for a QB…and yet nobody considers him a running QB!!!..interesting, huh?

In 4 years Manning had 181 negative rush yards total against way better competition. I would just like to point out that the game doesn’t slow down when you get into the NFL, but if he can do everything but move then maybe. Where do you guys that like him have him ranked with the other QB’s?

Strong for me is a day 3 pick. I probably would not draft him in round 4. Probably a backup unless he develops his slow feet. Not sure how much he will improve that with knee injury history and being a long-legged build type.

Not even sure he is worth a pick.

I mean…as soon as pressure is in his way…he cant move. That is not something I’m gonna bank on. Tom Brady has quicker feet at 40. Goff moves better than Strong.

I’d probably take a shot.on that small school, former Arkansas QB before I did strong…

Cole Kelley is my boy.

1 Like

Ahhh…so you’re the guy who brought him to my attention

Yeah…hes better than strong IMO

Also been working with a former NFL QB…

I’m very intrigued by that dude.

I’d take a shot on him day 3 (not round 4)

Also…for a backup…Levi Lewis is a name to watch…