Andrew Thomas

To be fair, the offense has somehow remained at least competitive through a lot of hardship.
The defense has never been competitive. They’ve gotten their asses handed to them every single week regardless of who has been on the field.
They were bad to begin the season. Then getting hosed against Green Bay and the Diggs trade just put them in “■■■■ it” mode and they never seemed to give a shit after that.

I am talking over multiple seasons and not how they are ranked now–O-line. and are you seriously asking me when were all the times Matt got injured behind our O-lines…like I was OR just 2018/19? I was talking career-wise and your talking 2019…our staff pulled Stafford 's butt before he wound up crippled which he kinda sorta agreed that was the wise move, and went and had surgery. for a 2018/19 back injury. but tis isn’t his first battle with injuries by far -is my point.

How many times have WE said this and it still hasn’t come true. RR was not very good at RT and Backus never moved, although many of us had it in our plans for him to move over to RT.
I like the idea but to automatically call it “an upgrade” is speculative and hopeful. It just doesn’t always like how we want it to.

1 Like

I have a problem winning a couple meaningless games and having to draft the 3rd or 4th best one in the middle of the 1st round.

As much of a boob as I think Patricia is, you can’t always blame just the coaches for a GM who reaches on almost every pick he makes. He’s continuously giving the coaches 3rd round talent (or less) with his 1st round picks.

Decker - maybe a 3rd round talent, probably lower.

Davis - 5th round talent. Maybe 4th if you’re generous.

Ragnow - I have a hard time with this one. He’s a nice player, but is he a first round talent? I don’t think so.

TJH - This will never pan out for where he was taken. He could be a Zach Ertz clone and it’s still a 2nd/3rd round value.

2 Likes

for as many picks Quinn dinked the dog, we did get some good players by hook or crook along the way Dan Amendola , Kenny G , Bo, Wes Hills looks rather promising , I’m forgetting like 6 more on the team weather drafted or not bc our offense wasn’t particularly the problem this season , On defense? I have a harder time deciding who should be kept -player-wise…but I don’t care if both Quinn & MP are fired with Paul P…but that’s a lot of searching for a GM, HC, and DC…not just draft prospects.

Meh. You can go out and buy a Danny Amendola, pretty much every offseason.

Kenny G is Quinn’s entire claim to fame. He hit on 1 draft pick that is a better value than where he was drafted. The other 30 plus picks are mostly reaches or busts.

Wes Hills isn’t anything. Not sure what you are seeing, but punching a couple in, in a glorified exhibition game, doesn’t do anything for me. He was our 9th option and it took till week 15 on a terrible team for him to get action. He carried the ball 10 times for 21 yards. He will be lucky to play football in the NFL next year.

argue it or not I could care less, the point is and was that Quinn did bring in a few usable players - fact , my biggest concern is defensive and there may be a player or two there WORTH keeping but that’s pretty bad out of the entire defensive group. That is why Quinn and Patricia 's jobs are on the line because of a pathetic defensive showing.

I don’t know, man. I think they were all going within 3 picks. TJ may have fallen 10 picks or so, but, I don’t think he would have been on the board at the beginning of the second.
Now, his second round picks. Fair game (even though I like Tavai).

I’m always ok with a trenches pick. But remember before Stafford got hurt we had a top ten offense.

The defense however is one of the worst in history. I’d rather find a T in free agency and take the DE or DT that’s there. And Decker isn’t going to be OK with RT money when he nears the end of his contract. We will have to let him walk like Reiff. Then we need another RT and the cycle starts again. After game one I thought Decker looked pretty good this year at LT

Also we passed up on a more athletic TE to draft the more ‘complete TE’ - who can help block. After all our investment in the Oline and drafting a blocking TE in the top ten last year…it would be somewhat disappointing to take a T in the top three

1 Like

Haven’t scouted him yet, but if he is the next Joe Thomas, then I’m on board. If he is just average Lion Big Ten first round LT version 4.0, hard pass.

1 Like

While true, what would have to happen for him to not be an upgrade from Rick “the revolving door” Wagner?

I find it incredibly likely…like 95+% likely.

Decker was actually good, until he got hurt. Hasn’t been the same since. sucks.
Loved Warford …he got hurt, had a couple of down years, left, returned to form…DOH!!!
Reiff wasn’t all world, but was decent, and got a nice contract to go elsewhere.
Thomlinson is starting for SF.

These cats were no Aaron Gibson (LOL), and they certainly didn’t work out how we wanted. I’m hoping somehow this front office proves to be smarter than those from the past. Ragnow seems good, so far.

1 Like

Well said. And just for the record, I’m perfectly okay with building in the trenches. I just don’t like constantly spending 1st round picks on offensive lineman. Other teams seem to make it work without five 1st round picks on the line, so I’m sure we can to. Resign Decker and go find a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round. Give the OL picks a break for a little while.

1 Like

Even if he’s the next Jonathan Ogden, he can only block one man at a time. The OL is a unit, not a one man show.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m of this mindset.
Decker is middle of the road serviceable
Relative to your roster, you want to get the biggest team performance bang for your draft buck.
Our D needs a ton of work — obviously…
uggh …

1 Like

What does it matter where we’ve spent our picks in the past?
Just go out and get us the best player at an impact position for once!
If it’s Left Tackle, then so be it.
Just not OG’s, DT’s, and TE’s.

2 Likes

Impact. A LT influences every play. A three down LB influences every play. That would be a hell of a choice between Andrew Thomas and Isaiah Simmons.

A LT doesn’t influence every play. And on the flip side, they can only influence the plays they DO influence by so much. Its diminishing returns after you get above the competent level.

Its a terrible use of resources to pick the same position over and over, unless it has the potential upside that nailing a franchise QB can provide. It depletes the rest of your roster. Its even dumber when you already have a competent player at the position, but keep wasting picks on the position that could be used for something else.

Quinn has taken exactly 1 LT in the first round. So, not over and over.

Not as bad as drafting a terrible LB and reaching for a TE and trading up for a CB that runs a 5.4 forty.

Our offense requires 2 starting tackles. We have 1 that is borderline worth keeping here, and nothing else. That’s like saying since we have Tracy Walker, we can give away and bench the rest of our safeties and be ok on the back end of the defense.

What position are you thinking? What are your top 3-5 positions of higher priority?

He got hurt trucking a DB

2 Likes

Would you want to take a TE in the top 10 again this year?