Andy Dalton better than Goff and Fields?

317 yards
1 Touchdown
1 Interception
85.1 rating

Fields numbers:

1,361 yards
4 touchdowns
8 interceptions
69.0 rating

Goffs numbers:
2,280 yards
10 touchdowns
6 interceptions
87.0 rating

He is a 3 time pro bowler. He gets a bad rap because he played in Cinci, kinda like how Stafford got a bad rap playing in Detroit. The Bears offense looks much better when Dalton plays vs Fields. I’d say he’s a mid tier QB, nothing special, but not bad.

2 Likes

I think you need to put those numbers in context. Did you see how much time in the pocket Dalton had to throw?

I dont think Dalton is a terrible QB though.

But Goff has a run game. I think Dalton looks better but I understand the WR situation.

My point is we could have Dalton on the cheap and be the bridge QB, with our O-line. This could lead to huge FAs on our defense and maybe a WR.

2 Likes

One thing I like about Dalton is he’s a tough dude, he will take off and run and dive for first downs. He’s only an average thrower, but he’s a good leader. He aint gonna throw the ball out of bounds on 4th down is what I’m trying to say.

He’s only slightly better than Goff. Not really an upgrade from a talent standpoint, but might be a better leader and fit for Coach Campbell.

1 Like

And then we would have taken whose trade?

Yup - more wired like a leader - much tougher - nice upgrade.
How does all of this impact our $$$ situation?

Don’t know about the money but have them complete for the starting position. Dalton didn’t even get that chance in Chicago to compete. Dalton is a Free Agent after this year, period. Or cut Goff after June. And get someone else to compete.

Dalton was their starter at the beginning of the season.

1 Like

Clearly until they drafted Fields.

No, Dalton competed and was named the starter until he got injured, if I remember correctly. So to say he wasn’t given an opportunity to compete for the starting position is incorrect.

I pointed to this in another thread a while back ago. Where a couple posters said we didn’t have the money to target free agents and be competitive this year.

Had we traded with Car we could have gotten Sewell, traded down and still gotten Parsons plus draft picks.

We could have made Bridewater part of the trade or grabbed a veteran free agent QB like Dalton or Fitzmagic.

We didn’t have to clear out all of MP’s guys in year one taking on all that dead cap money this year.

In turn we would have had more money to address free agents.

There are just so many other ways we could have attacked this offseason. But we chose to take all the cap hits we could this year. The Matt Millen approach so to speak.

Holmes and Dan wanted Goff. I get it … but that decision made it harder to attack free agency.

My point is that I feel like we could have fielded a more talented team and been more competitive.

Yet this doesn’t change the fact that the reason we’re winless is due to coaching.

1 Like

He was playing against the Lions. Mitch Trubisky lit up the Lions too.

2 Likes

The Panthers.

Don’t base your opinions on Dalton by his games against Detroit. He’s definitely better than Fields right now but the Bears also ain’t doing anything either way.

Am I the only one that thinks these are practically amazing numbers for Goff, given what he has had to work with this year?

Also, Goff’s INT’s are inflated by the receivers running wrong routes and even a questionable overturn of a down by contact call on Amon after he had caught the ball (and DB took the ball when he was down, or not).

I’m taking Goff every day of the week and twice on Sundays over Dalton.

4 Likes

Umm…

…nevermind.

And Stafford maybe retired instead of going there, we don’t know.

Math isn’t your thing today. Maybe tomorrow will treat you better.