Any Deer Hunters on this forum

Nice bucks fellas. 4 days of nothing worth pulling the trigger on here.

How about this trail cam pic:

1 Like

Donā€™t get me started on trail camp pics

Very nice looking deer fellas! Nice to see a few older ones harvested. A lot of 1.5-2.5 year olds are shot every year up here. Even in densely populated deer areas itā€™s rare to see 3.5-5.5 year old deer. I was lucky to get two 3.5s this year. First ones ever and only my 3rd and 4th Michigan bucks ever. Did get a 3.5 at a deer farm in the LP 3 years ago.

Bay county buck.

1 Like

My 2 biggest UP bucks. I havenā€™t had the 10 aged yet but I believe heā€™s 3.5. Looks like next year(or several years) Iā€™ll hold out for a 4.5. I will take a 3.5 with the bow though.

My mom & stepdad go to Alaska every year and this time he came back with some moose that he took down while hunting.

Anyone have any idea on what I can expect with that, taste-wise?

Better than Beef and better than elk. If youā€™ve had buffalo you might be able to imagine a gamey type beef. I loved it. You will too.and if you ever get a chance to try bear, try that too. Really, it was intriguing because the Lewis and Clark expedition thought it was the best meat they could get. After I read that, I had to try it. Got some from the First Nation. I loved buffalo and elk, and moose is right up there.

Man, I got two huge buffalo rib eyes and waved them at a super hot grill and it was great. A little too rare for my wife, so I ate both of them. Tail was wagging, you probably could have milked them, but they were awesome. The ribeye were close to 4lbs. For two of them, cost me fifty bucks. If I get a chance to grab some moose tenderloin, Iā€™ll let you know.

You ever get a chance to get up north of here, you would not believe how big they are. I stopped my truck to get a look at one of these beasts and laying on its side it came up to my hip.

2 Likes

Never had moose, that I can remember.

What I have tried: bison, elk, mule deer, whitetail, fallow deer, black bear, grouse, pheasant, turkey, feral hog, rabbit, rattlesnake, bull frog, duck, gator. Numerous kinds of fresh water fish.

1 Like

What I always say about horses is that pics and video do not do them justice. They are so much bigger when you are standing right next to one. Because of that I have always wanted to see a moose in person, since they are supposed to be even bigger than a horse.

Well, my uncle took two bear arms for lack of a better term threw them in a vegetable stew. They cooked until the meat fell off. The bones looked like human hands. Anyhow, best stew I ever had. Went camping last year in Ontario and was talking to a Canadian Parks guy who mentioned we might want to not sleep in clothes we cooked in and we should put our food in a bag suspended from a tree. I knew he was talking about bear from the dumpsters. Anyhow he mentioned a hunter had just got a 650 lb. black bear. We were settimg up the tent when a bear which could have been the monster bearā€™s twin walked through the back of the camp ground less than fifty feet away.

VYou want to see Moose, fly into Isle Royal. You can fly into Houghton and take a plane to the Island. It actually doesnā€™t cost much, you get to go on the island and they are everywhere. If you fish they might be twenty or thirty feet away drinking and swimming. You pull in a good pike to eat and watch moose. There is absolutely no better way to spend four days hiking. There are permanent shelters so you can hike with just food and drink and your sleeping gear. You will need a good pair of hiking boots. I may go again next year. Wolf, fox, moose. Great time. The shelters have an open three sided cube with a roof and hanging screens. You may share that with other hikers.
Did I mention the flight in and landing on the water? Unfreaking believable.

What a monster! All these LP and WI bucks are so nice. So few deer make it to 4.5 up here. Is it the APRs, no baiting or easier winters/more agriculture?

So, I seen a bill has been introduced to expand the deer rifle season to nearly a month. I hate that idea. Especially if going into the 1st week of November when bow hunters are most successful.

Here is what Iā€™d like to see happen:

Letā€™s try this:
-Bow October 1st - November 10th
-Rifle/Shotgun November 11th - November 20th
-Muzzleloader/Revolver November 21st - November 30th
-Bow December 1st - December 15th

-Independence Hunt 3rd weekend in October Thursday - Sunday(same as it is).

-Youth/Liberty Hunt also the 3rd weekend in October only Saturday and Sunday.

That is 2.5 months. Instead of 3.5

First and only post here. Preface it with I donā€™t hunt, hate venison and could never gut an animal. With that being said, Iā€™m all for hunting and wish it was year round with no limit. The fuckers are everywhere and have totaled two cars in ten years hitting the bastards. Cost me a collarbone and a concussion when came in through my drivers side window the second time.

UP winters are horrible and hard to survive for deer. Snow is too deep for them to get food, but they start eating trees and it gets real bad near spring. You see how gray the deer are up here?

For sureā€¦ We fed a couple winters agoā€¦ They say feeding keeps the weak alive. However, we had a wounded buck and late fawn here most the winter (southern UP, much less snow than most the UP) but the healthier deer kept them from eating and they ended up dying in March. No sure if they finally got weak enough for a predator to get them or if they starved to death. Theyā€™d not have lived this long in the northern countiesā€¦

Predators typically keep their distance from the houseā€¦ Had a wolve pass within 100 yards a couple times when building. Coyote recently spotted behind a nearby wood pile when my son was letting the dogs out to the bathroom, was within 20 yards of them but walked away when the dogs started growling.

But 1 animal that has no fear are Eagles. They perch on white pine and maple tree branches right next to the house. Two does lost fawns within 40 yards of the house this past spring to Eagles.

1 Like

Cool buck. Thatā€™s a full body mount there.

2 Likes

Moose is a lean meat like deer and Elk but eats better than both if you ask me.

2 Likes

When did you take Iggy hunting?

1 Like