Anyone been to Greece before?

I’m going with a few friends on a group trip next week, leaving Sunday. We spend a few days in Athens, a couple in Olympia, and one in Delphi. We’re obviously very excited. This has been one we’ve been looking forward to for a long long time.

Any recommendations or advice anyone has from previous experiences?

I’ll make sure to send pictures when I get wifi, but if I’m not on here for a while that’s why.

2 Likes

Spent 24 days there in 2008. Traveled a good chunk of the country. Athens kind of sucks aside from the Acropolis Delphi and Olympian were neat. If you’re staying near Athens there is an old Venetian capital called Napflio which I quite liked.

I spent most of my time Island hunting however.

1 Like

No but my brother in law and sister in law (I married a Greek) go every year for a month. They own property there.

Ask your Q’s and I’ll relay to him and get his advice for you.

The flea market in Athens is great, Sunday’s. Monastiraki. Everything is pretty crowded in summer so you’re going at a good time. First time to Athens the hotel was $2 to sleep inside or $1 to sleep on the roof. It was so ■■■■■■■ hot we took the roof. Although I love the history in Greece my favorite place to kick back was the island Ios. Corfu is my second favorite. Food is great, wine is pretty bad but after a couple of glasses it’s game on. My wife has never been and wants to go but I’m thinking a cruise because she’s only good for a few hours of educational enjoyment, not all day. Have a great time.

BTW, the Acropolis Museum is worth spending some time. One thing that gets overlooked because people don’t know what they are seeing is the Kritios Boy. It’s important because it’s the first known sculpture,(I believe this is still true), to show motion, hip swing, contrapposto. Prior to this, statues stood rigid. It was cool for me, probably not for most people but there you go.

Keeping an eye on this post… my wife and I are planning a trip to Greece in 2024.

I went to Corfu for a week back in the late 90’s. Had a blast.

If you want the low down on island hopping. Went to quite a few.

1 Like

I spent a week in 1978. Rule # 1 remember sunscreen. Rule #2 if you drink 6 shots of Ouzo do not stand up quickly.

Corfu was dope. Really out of the way from some of the other must see islands though.

Santorini is the bucket list spot in Greece IMO. Rhodes is right up there though.

If you are into the cradle of civilization history, you won’t be disappointed.

Pelikas beach on Corfu was unreal. First time I camped in the olive tree’s, next time got a room on top of the hill. Restaurant on the beach had a shower and everyone was nude waiting in line, unisex. Hated to leave. Good travel site for going just about anywhere…

Ouzo till you snoozo, it was a real thing.

Travelzoo trip to Greece…

Never been out of North America, sans a Caribbean/Mexican cruise in '08. Yet have visited 42 states and five provinces.

That has to count for something…

1 Like

2 Likes

Plane to Frankfurt is about to takeoff!!!

Greece is wonderful! The biggest surprise was that the Greek beers we had were great! They keep most of their best wines in the country. The history is fantastic.
We drove north and west around the Gulf of Corinth to Petras and back to Athens.
WARNING - the Greeks drive famously stupidly. They will be side by side ON TWO WAY STREETS. Often, in the mountains around curves. They have a high fatality rate for the EU.

1 Like

2 Likes

Where are the rest of the pics?!

There’s 5 of them.

1 Like