Anyone else on the don't draft a QB bandwagon?

I’m not against it…I want to know what the plan would be. I also want to be ready and have a plan in place post Stafford . Stafford should be the starter here at a minimum of 2020 and 2021 …Shit happens though so you have to have a plan .

The only QB I would take at #3 is J.Herbert …Love him. Still think he could go #1 to Cincy .

The only other QB I covet and would love to have is Jacob Eason .

Not round 1 or 2.

1 Like

I ask myself should we take one more shot with Stafford or should we start over?

I really want to take that last shot with Matt but I realize this team needs a lot too. I also believe that one good offseason can really turn a franchise around. So needless to say … I am torn.

But last offseason I lost faith in BQ and MP. Drafting a TE and shipping out Diggs for a 5th did it for me. So … unfortunately… I think it’s time to melt this thing down and start over. Because I just don’t have the faith that BQ can put together a stellar offseason. I believe the organization is at least 3 years away and I am afraid that Stafford might not have many more years than that left in him.

So … I want a QB … wether that’s early or late doesn’t matter to me. We at the very least need a quality backup. I have a feeling we will pass on Tua and he ends up being an NFL stud.

I suspect we will be drafting early again next year so there’s always next year … lol.

I want a QB to “eventually” this years top QB’s just has left me uninspired because they all ha ve questionmarks. I still say I wouldn’t draft one this year just to draft a QB.

I would give Matt Stafford the benefit and respect to play and see what NEXT year’s draft crop of QB’s offers . it’s not like other stud QB’s won’t be found in later drafts that A QB that needs the table completely set to continue his great production he had in college , OR A QB that has to “hopefully” stay healthy a full season , OR Hubert, that has to improve vision and accuracy without me even going super in depth on the guy , this early , and next to none of my annual draft material gathered ‘yet’…the only other thought I have is taking one of the latter QB’s but in my mind we are not a grooming QB away from greatness and need a number of other things than that.

Like the concept. He should have stayed 1 more year in college where he would potentially be a 1st rounder next year. I think we may need to use our 3rd to get him though not sure he is there in the 4th with all the comp picks that get awarded at the end of round 3… VERY strong arm and decent completion percentage. He would be great sitting on the bench and learning/enhancing his craft. Could be heir apparent to Stafford when his contract runs out in a couple years or potential trade bait.

I also like James Morgan who might be 3rd day guy. He looked damn good in the east-west Shrine game (granted lower level talent) but he did get some scouts attention. definitely a project and not an NFL starter at this point. probably need to be the #3 QB on a roster for at least next year.

1 Like

While i agree with your observations about Burrows and Tua, with Herbert i really liked how much better he looked after a week with NFL coaching. He appeared to be more confident in his fellow players on Offense and assignments. I could see him turning out to be the better NFL QB long term.

Though as far as the Lions go, i wonder if Bevell sees someone that catches his eye. IMO if there is one that he believes can be special that would be the only one they should get. If things don’t work out i would prefer them to skip the position.

On a side note i actually like what i saw from the young guy. I think he might turn into a decent backup, with a chance to make other young guys actually push themselves to win a position.

I’ve said it as well…

I feel Bevell knows what he wants QB wise… so if we go QB I’m fine with whoever it is …,

And that really why I’m cool with our current stable. They got those two for a reason…

You planning on picking this high again?

Because if this sad-sack organization’s rhetoric is to be believed, this will be the last time we ever pick this high.

So what next year’s and ever year’s thereafter will offer for QBs is whatever pickings are available after the top QBs are taken at the top of the draft.

What if the Lions trade back to #5 and pick which ever falls to them, Tua, Joe, or Justin? Use the other first and second rounders to get defense?

to your first question? yes we cannot fix it all in one offseason and I don’t necessarily think or believe that Quinn will knock the offseason/particularly the draft out of the park.

Second., how would anyone know who and what is going to be availiable next draft the focus is THIS offseason and said QB’s don’t seem like cannot miss individuals to me.

Spielman, if you want us to draft a QB this time round , that is fine by me… separately ‘I’ myself wouldn’t take Tua, Burrows , Herbert that said, I have no idea what Quinn will do…if he takes one of them, I don’t give a crap bc I can’t stop it or change it…it is what it is -at that point… just like all or any of the posters who absolutely want to draft ‘a’ QB , this draft? fine/great…I’m not going to make them stop wanting that. I don’t worry about it. all ( I ) said is “I” wouldn’t and that is all. :slightly_smiling_face:

OKLion, even if we moved down a little bit AND got one of the QB’s by chance, it doesn’t change each of their short falls, we just get them for less.

Burrows, I worry like crazy that he needs a real good setup to be successful.

Tua, I worry how long he can stay healthy & on the field each season.

Herbert, I worry that he locks on one side of the field or his target too much , his overall field vision and his bouts with accuracy as one season, he couldn’t reach 60% completion .

Jordan Love, is a QB that needs more time to work on his vision, and breaking the habit of staring down his targets, plus he earned 4th -5th round grades by some scouts & evaluators.

that is why I said none of that would change IF we move down and took one of them…besides what we pay them. no telling what Quinn might do though.

Cub it’s the prospect you have to look at …The individual player and in this case the QB . I’ve outlined my take on Burrows at length . Tua is a hell of a prospect who is damaged goods , to many " If’s" for the investment needed to attain him . I love Herbert the prospect, not for what he has done, but for what he has the ability to do …
You point to him locking in on a receiver and the completion % in 2018 being low…, someone else watched that or just looked at the stats . The Offense was a Power Run Game in 2018 & a ton of play action passes in 2018 as well , he had a completion % of 59.4 in 2018 … Looking at just that, it looks ho-hum and an obvious red flag to his accuracy and he had some What the F**K type passes, no doubt.
You have to dig into it, the why, the how, the talent around him , the protection , the scheme etc…
In 2018 the Oregon Ducks receivers dropped 52 passes near worst in the NCAA in 2018 and 8 of those were TD passes .
Drops happen for every team, it happens . But how much different does that Stat Line line look with those drops being catches and when you add 8 TD’s to his numbers .
Herbert is a 21 Year old kid, 4 year starter, 6ft-6 inch 238LB QB with a cannon for an arm, athletic and mobile, easily the best arm talent of the 2020 class & real smart as well …
A lot of the knock on him is holding onto the ball , locking in on a receiver, players not being in spots they are supposed to be in , including himself making mistakes…why? In Herbert’s 4 years, he has had three Head Coaches and 3 different Offensive Coordinators, two scheme changes…None of them really any good or eye opening …
How do you become consistent with that kind of change year in year out . Wins , people look at wins , show me a signature win they say …It’s nonsense . How does the talent translate to the NFL , look at the tape, look at the talent , traits etc …can they make every throw? Is the arm talent there , intangibles , heart, vision stuff you can not take a ruler out and measure …so it’s the take of the person doing the evaluation.

6th rd: Case Cookus

Let him compete with driskel/blough for backup role

NY, your correct. Now I’ll not pretend I watch a ton of college ball because I don’t. Herbert’s situation reminds me of Staffords with new schemes, OC’s , HC’s and player ability almost to a T. except one is beginning his NFL career after the draft and Matt is at his personal window when there is now a 1 to 9 year timeline where he retires. I know we are talking draft prospect QB here…but in many ways people knock Stafford without looking/thinking about all the other reasons He’s not elite -level , only it’s called excuses “why he can’t or didn’t” my take is I know these QB’s are somewhat talented or they couldn’t BE where they are, I also see red flag things about each one that (I) don’t want to draft them I have pointed them out many times now. But it doesn’t make a drop of bird chit what I say, think, because Bob Quinn has the controls and he has to have a damn good offseason to raise our defense up notably out of the gutter AND get this team some GD playmakers/difference-makers or it’s his job if we run out and win 3 or 4 games in 2020…could be the end of Matt Patricia as well…if that happens.
me , I’m just a crumb fan on a Lions board, but all I think is that I WOULD pass on at least two of the four top QB’s. pushed? I’d take Tua over the others IF he cleared medically. but I worry like hell he’ll get injured a fair amount bc of his hip.

I’m trusting in Bevell on this …

If we take a QB at all, with any pick we have, he will will have his stamp all over it imho…

And, they will have to unseat one of the two we already have imho as well…

1 Like

You can make good points both ways.

You draft a QB, because of the uncertainty of Stafford’s back, plus his age, plus he has never had a real legit backup or competition in his career.

You don’t draft a QB because we have a TON of holes to fill.

The reason I am starting to lean towards taking Tua (if ok medically), is because we are selecting at #3 overall. I am guessing we will win maybe 5-9 games next year, which will put us drafting in no man’s land between 10-20 overall. So, no shot at Lawrence, no shot at probably the top 3 QBs coming out. So, when is the next chance to draft our next potential franchise QB? Maybe this is the year we pull the trigger since we are picking so high. Plus we have the built in excuse of Stafford’s injury and the fact that we went winless without him, so we need to address that depth at the QB position.

1 Like

Understood Cub …The thread not about what Quinn would do , not about if we truly have any say…we have non say and never do …
Would you take a QB and why or why not …the rest is mute. My comment was aimed at why you would not …the TUA take is valid . The Burrows take is one that should apply to every QB and the Herbert Take on his weaknesses one that comes from an article that makes no attempt to figure out why . This is what I was getting at .

Yeah I’m not sure Bevell has his hand in anything , not sure he was our first choice for OC , he is likely out on his ass if Quinn and Patricia go so the calls on who to take won’t revolve around Bevell or who he would like more here is the guy we want you to make work .

The Lions leardhip would be foolish to get rid of Bevell imo… he is good at what he does.

The article are out there on the fact he was the main reason the hawks took Wilson…

Not a sole in this draft is challenging Stafford in a competition , we need a legit BU I agree and with the idea of not passing on a QB because you have other holes , I’m on board with taking one if the idea is to bring in the not so near future .
Tua I can not stress enough …the If he is cleared medically crowd…I can’t grasp it . How does he get cleared medically ? He wont do anything hip related prior to the draft , will not see how his hip reacts to taking hits , will not know if the long term issues are in play for a minimum of 12 to 24 months post injury .
Cleared medically in April 2020 and cleared medically week 5 of the 2020 season after taking a beating in 5 starts are two different worlds . Even with all of this cleared medically has no bearing on what type of QB he will be post injury . He will not be working with the same tools he had pre- injury that much is for sure .