Anyone Else Wonder If We Got Scooped?

Really like the draft we had. Big fan of the athletes and attributes we invested in. But one gnawing question remains for me about our 3rd Round pick #97. We’re about to be on the clock, anticipation is high, suddenly Indianapolis trades up with the Rams into pick #96.

Anytime another team trades up in front of us, immediately I’m suspicious. Call me paranoid. Indi takes S Nick Cross out of Maryland. We immediately select S Kerby Jospeh out of Illinois.

My immediate question: did the Colts have intel on who we liked and scoop us? Did we prefer Cross at 97 and have to “settle” for Joseph?

I realize teams rarely if ever discuss getting outmaneuvered (except the Eagles & Howie Roseman last year missing out on Alim McNeil).

Curious if anyone else was wondering about, or has read anything related to those two picks.

3 Likes

It’s possible. But when drafting in the mid rounds you gotta trust your rankings board. Holmes may have liked both players. I like the Joseph pick because he was a ball hawk with 5 picks last year and that’s something are safeties have really lacked, play making ability.

10 Likes

You never know, but that one, because it involved a 2023 3rd, seems like there was a safety that the Colts liked and they wanted to get him before he fell. They might have felt that we could have taken him and maybe we liked Cross (who knows).

This reminds me of conspiracy theories, if you look hard enough, you can find a way to support your belief.

7 Likes

There were a lot of guys we wanted, but, weren’t there when we picked.
I’m sure Indy had a good idea of the direction Holmes was going. I mean, everyone in the world knew we needed a Safety and hadn’t taken one yet.
Frankly, I like the Kirby pick.

4 Likes

Safety was a glaring weakness for us and our next pick was #177, so if it was at all close on our board, we were taking safety. Cross has the speed and is relatively new to football, so he should have a lot of room for improvement. My Den mock had Cross at #97 and I think both would be good picks. Safeties and linebackers thrive on their instincts and so I’m very comfortable with Joseph.

4 Likes

Lions brought Kerby in for a top 30 visit… but they did not bring Cross into town.
It may not be a definitive factor… but just shows that Kerby was on the short list.

3 Likes

I’m excited about him. I think he’s a really high ceiling guy.

1 Like

Colts wanted their guy and knew the Lions needed a safety. Don’t think Colts had any inside info.

As you mentioned, he was brought in for a top 30 visit so clearly they had interest in Joseph.

5 Likes

If I had time, I’d look at the draft and see who traded up ahead of us to take a LB. LOL

2 Likes

Okay. This is something tangible @Phunnypharm. Aside from my baseless conjecture, the fact our front office had KJ in for a visit is enough for me and quells that nagging question that maybe the Colts sniped the guy we really wanted.

Joseph was a 1-year starter at safety his final year at Illinois. He flashed big time ball skills in that one season (5 INTs). He’s got good athleticism and top length. So yeah, I’m pleased with him as a prospect with upside. Brad seems to have a rep for unearthing secondary talent. Let’s see what he can contribute.

I think it would be a surprise if he came in and started, but I’m confident DC+AG will put the best guys on the field, so bring it Kerby- welcome to Motown my man!

2 Likes

I remember hearing that kerby was confirmed as the target at 97 over cross

1 Like

Holmes said in his post draft press conference that they considered trading up for Kerby, so i don’t think they were bummed when the Colts took cross.

3 Likes

I’m glad they went with Joseph, as a ex WR the kid has great instincts and is a ball hawk! Time with AP and AG this kid could be great in the coming years! P.S. this is my first post here in this community been just checking things out for a couple weeks and really enjoy the positivity here vs other communities.

10 Likes

Joseph looks like a higher ceiling guy with Cross having more proven production.

Holmes probably liked both but knew it was time to get one of his top safeties on the board.

2 Likes

Strong first post, bro.
I am with you!

3 Likes

Yeah very possible Holmes was good with either, or had a group of players at that selection he was comfortable with taking.

To flip the conspiracy, maybe the colts didn’t know who the lions liked and jumped ahead because they really wanted their guy and the lions got who they wanted.

Personally I love the Joseph pick… but I loved all the picks. They have a type of player and it seems in the past two drafts, they have a group of players at each selection they are comfortable with so they kind of are always playing with an upper hand. And in the case of Jamo, they knew he wouldn’t last so they went in and got him.

3 Likes

I liked the Joseph pick but was really hoping for Cross. But more so, I was hoping Brad would get who he wanted. And I think he wanted Joseph. So I’m good with that. It will be interesting to see these two guy’s careers play out and who turns out better.

4 Likes

For sure. The other great matchup we have to look forward to is Cine on the Vikings and Jamo with us. Another four or five years of that alabama Georgia matchup in the pros!

3 Likes

Welcome brother!

2 Likes

I feel the same. Really trusting Brad more with each passing move he makes. I’ve backed every move he’s made so far.