Are there any mushroom hunters in the group?

I’ve been harvesting morels nearly all of my life, but, only recently started getting into the summer and autumn varieties.
I had no idea how many delicious mushrooms we have available in Michigan.
Now, I’m hooked.
I’m hoping we can use this thread to talk about favorites, recent findings, tips, etc.
I’ll begin with a recent, accidental, medicinal find, the “Birch Polypore”.
I have had “Chaga” (which grows on Birch) as a target species for about a month, and came across these brown mushrooms growing on a Birch that reassemble “Chicken of the Woods”, so, I started researching them.
Turns out, they are;
Anti-inflammatory
Anti-fungal
Anti-biotic
Anti-steptic
Anti-bacterial
Anti-viral
And, anti-tumor!
And there is a lot of medical research to back these claims up.
So, I’ve been learning how to use it, mostly as a tea.
The down side, it tastes like medicine. Bitter, nasty.
Been drinking a cup every other day for about a week.
For those who don’t know, I have a brain tumor, and chronic neck pain. I have nothing to report on the tumor front, but, it seems to be a very effective anti-inflammatory. Much better than Naproxen/Aleve.
I have learned to keep a cranberry juice chaser at hand.
I’ll keep you updated.
As for “choice edibles”. I found a “Hen of the Woods/Miataki” a couple days ago…about 50 pounds of it, but, I only took about 10.
I used about 3 pounds in Mushroom soup today. Fantastic!
Of course, with the butter, cream, and sour cream in the soup, now, I need to go find some “Artist Conk”, for vascular health.:smiley:

4 Likes

I did have a psilocybin slingshot adventure once but I didn’t kill anything.

1 Like

Ah yes, the magic mushroom.
Did you know that micro dosing Psilocybins has shown to ward off dementia/Alzheimer’s and increases brain efficiency?
I’ve been studying them, but, lack the confidence to trust my ability to identify “gilled” mushrooms, at this point.

1 Like

My mother-in-law is a Chaga fanatic.

1 Like

The Birch Polypore has all of the same benefits, and a couple more.
Tell her to research it. It’s much easier to find.
It also has no look alikes. Foolproof medicine.

That’s just on one tree!

1 Like

I’ll do that! Thanks! I know she generally goes way up north to get her Chaga. Near the bridge.

1 Like

This what she’s looking for. I’m sure she’s seen a lot of them. I have, while looking for Chaga. I just never took the time to research them.

1 Like

Thanks for the photos man! I’m texting these to her now.

1 Like

They used these in traditional Polish medicine so much, they almost went extinct!

1 Like

There is a big time mushroom head here…let me find the thread for the user. Like worships Paul Stammets level.

2 Likes

User is Wenotme. Search for his posts

Also Raintrain34 has some affinity.

2 Likes

Chaga is the king of the mushrooms

Maitake are antitumor as well

So are turkey tails, giant puffballs, morels and many more found in Michigan.

2 Likes

I have some puffballs, Miataki, Chicken otw, and Turkey Tail in the fridge, right now. I also have dried Turkey Tail and Birch Polypore.
I hear you are the resident Mycologist. Do we have Reishi in Michigan? If so, are they on Hemlock?

1 Like

My Mother-In-Law said she’s bringing a giant puffball to our house today. lol. Weird coincidence.

1 Like

I also recommend these mushrooms for cancer:

Agarikon
Agaricus blazei Murril (himematsutake)
Shitake
Cordyceps (militaris and sienensis)
Enoki
Reishi (multiple species)
And many more

And for your brain take lion’s maine

Also for cancer:

Full spectrum cannabis extracts (thc kills cancer cells while protecting the surrounding brain tissue) I’ve seen a young girls brain recover from 128 brain tumors.

Ashwagandha

Black seed oil (indian black cumin)

Soursop (a fruit)

Also avoid sugar as much as possible. Cancer cells have 10-40 times the sugar receptors as normal cells. Sugar feeds cancer. Plus cancer makes you crave sugar.

2 Likes

I’m not a mycologist. But I double majored in biology. I have a BS in wildlife/ molecular bio. And I’ve worked as an antalytical chemist as well. I over see a team of biochemists at the moment. But I consider myself a healer first and foremost. That is my purpose.

2 Likes

Pretty out there, but my MIL thinks fungus in general is an alien species. If I understand correctly, it predates both plants and animals.

1 Like

Yes we have reishi mushrooms in Michigan. They grow hardwoods like elms and oaks. One specific species does grow on eastern hemlocks.

1 Like

That is the theory of pan spermia. It is totally possible because spores can survive entry into our atmosphere from space. Animals are more closely related to fungi than plants. Animals and fungi share a common ancestor approximately 650mil years ago and share something like 44% of their dna genomes. The immune systems of animals are intertwined with fungi. Without eating the micosugars from rotting wood, bees do not get the antivirals they need to survive.

Watch “Mushrooms as Medicine with Paul Stamets at Exponential Medicine” on YouTube

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this subject man! I learned some really interesting things today. Watching this video now.

2 Likes