Are we done talking about Goff?

The “they” was actually you. LOL

You’re thinking I’m not aware enough to recognize what you mean?
C’mon, man…why do you think I responded?
Say what you mean…if you want to know…ask. :wink:

I’m sure I will upset some peeps here but I like the Goff-led Lions more than the Stafford-led Lions. We’re for the first time in more than a decade not a one dimensional offense where we live or die by Staffords arm.

Goff is going to the line with multiple play options and we’re running more under center and the pass/run from under center is more equal. In years past when Stafford was under center is was a run 90% of the time. And when we were in shotgun it was almost always a pass. Predictable

We had years where we were under center the least by far in the league and we just put Stafford in the gun for better or worse. That’s why the run game was always so beleaguered. We had a short pass game in lieu, but the better defenses bottled us up

Look at last week. We showed the same offensive look under center with same motion several times and Goff had the choice at the line to choose what play they would run. When he got the defensive look he wanted we ran the sweep to Amon Ra that completely fooled the defense. That’s the chess match part of the game we lacked for years

9 Likes

Completely agree with this.
Run game is amazing, and we don’t rely on the QB to win the game.
THIS team is better than any Stafford led team ever was…for…sure!

YES!!! Agree. Shitty OL, no run game, just Matt and the WRs…very predictable, especially given the coaches.

I’m loving all of this, and this will be my fav Lions team ever - by a mile. We’ve never played bully-ball before, and we will soon have it on both sides of the ball.

different coaches, different players, etc.

I fully expect to like this better than the Barry Sanders teams too…and expect more production out of the RBs.
Swift is not Sanders
fontes is not Dan
Goff is not Stafford.
Different times, different owners, different players, etc.

Great time to be a lions fan.

4 Likes

I feel like I saw stats before, albeit a long time ago maybe, where they compared Stafford’s under center stats vs his shotgun stats.
I don’t know what Goff’s under center stats are vs shotgun stats but without looking it up or knowing, I’d guess that Goff has better under center stats where Stafford has better shotgun stats…but that’s just a guess.
I think you are correct that a QB under the center helps with the run game.

1 Like

It totally does, but you have to have the OL to do it. OL matters more than anything in the run game…even more than the RBs themselves.

1 Like

Well, we did it last week with 3 backups on our O-line, so yes but we’re still getting it done with backups…

1 Like

And that’s a real GOOD THING

Honestly, I didn’t see that coming, was uncharacteristically gloom and doom

2 Likes

…and those backups are damn good football players. That line is still VERY good with the backups in.
Loving it!

1 Like

Okay, I’ve done a little homework cuz this “warrior mentality” thingy has me wondering

Stafford warriors mentality, started with that rousing “miked up” game vs Cleveland where one is led to believe he rose from the grave for that one last play…yet he took the field as starting QB 4 days later on Thanksgiving vs GB and got his ass handed to him

Goff, “calm cool collected let’s not over react” guy, has his Warrior moment on a much more meaningful stage vs Seattle, unlike Stafford last play of the game heroics, Goff gets injured 3rd quarter, he’s not miked up drawing attention to himself, no he calmly walks away from the huddle while popping a grossly dislocated right thumb back into to place, finishes the game, gets surgery 2 days later on comes back Two weeks later and wins a road playoff game

Warrior Mentality?

I don’t know, maybe just maybe some guys are just wired differently

Greatest QB I ever saw, Joe Montana (sorry TB) he too was calm, cool collected

Just a different POV

8 Likes

warrior-dance

1 Like

His teammates also chose him as a captain. Pretty strong signal about the respect they have for him and his leadership.

4 Likes

Indeed.

Exhibit 2: carries the team to victory on the road in the 2019 NFC Championship Game - in the loudest, most hostile environment I’ve ever seen. Rams were down 13-0 in that one.

Read this - Jared Goff’s clutch NFC championship performance overshadowed by controversy - and then, by all means, let’s revisit the issue of ‘warrior energy.’

Better still, watch: Rams vs. Saints NFC Championship Highlights | NFL 2018 Playoffs.

5 Likes

On a really bad team…won against another pretty bad team. toughness, for sure. That may have been the beginning of being able to see one component of it. It more comes form the relentless attacking in the comebacks…never giving up and willingness to stand in the pocket and get drilled…threw a couple of blocks in his career, trucked a LB once. Dude isn’t afraid of contact. He does very well, when he’s going to take a hit…and pretty much spent his career doing it.

Goff isn’t a total pansy, but he’s also not an alpha energy.
Brady is.
Montana has a lot of it to him as well, but not to the extent Brady does.

it’s not just “grit” or “toughness”…it’s attacking.
JaMoss attacks
Ra attacks
Hutch has it in him, but he’ll get better at it
Rodrigo attacks
Elliot attacks
J-Will has a lot of it to him too.

Goff isn’t a dude that gives off the aura “I’m coming to kick your ass”
josh Allen is the ultimate example, and I dont’ expect us to get one of those.

1 Like

Goff’s not a slouch.
Hope he can get it done.

1 Like

Dan Campbell is the biggest an most influential warrior energy on the team.
He’s the leader.
He’s the influencer.
He’s the main force for change.
If we had different coaches, Goff would be getting massacred back there with a fraction of the confidence he once had.

You’re my number 1 here ya bald fuk, but I’m not on board with your Warrior thing with QBs

Bret Favre was Alpha 1 warrior yet the results are mixed under the big lights

Give me calm cool collected every time and twice on Sunday

Goff is not afraid of the big lights, I’m banking that at some point in this season you’ll be assimilated…that’s a sure bet my man

We’ll laugh or lament about this just before Christmas :grinning:

7 Likes

I’m in 100% agreement of this.

6 Likes

You are my man…. Your takes on humanity, positivity, and life in general are incredible.

I get what Snags is saying though- you are kind of hedging your bet on Goff… and that’s fine, it’s your choice.

1. Matt Stafford was a losing QB, with an awful winning percentage until he played on a HOF stacked team…. FACT- insert meme, but fact. QB… ALPHA MAKE- not able to elevate shitty team- they rarely do!

2. Forget about Josh Allen or Mahomes…. right now Herbert, Lamar, Murray. and Burrow all have the same or worse records- all play on more proven teams, and all accomplished the same or less by age 25 regarding stats and wins.

3. ASB and Chark aren’t Hill and Waddle- saying we “expect great stats” from Goff makes zero sense - UNLESS HE IS REALLY GOOD!

4. The world ranked us around 24-28 in power rankings- still does! Vegas had us at 6.5- and many bet the under- If we beat that- it’s because Goff has 100 plus rating and 30 plus tds- it’s not the cast brother!

3 Likes

It’s so weird when soft Tua eclipses Alpha Lamar….

We can’t have it both ways fellas….

Kupp was taken top 5-7 overall in fantasy. He’s MVP good…. Van Jefferson, Tutu Atwell both 2nd rounders- Cam and Henderson early draft picks….

Somebody look up Rams 18’ roster and compare it to 19-20’….

The lookup Rams 21’ roster and compare to 22’-

When the Rams have success, and then the next year the roster regresses…. It’s time for fallout!

Stafford didn’t do the Brady or Brees thing, he got his $$$ again…

The Rams have the #1 in the league, the #1 free agent WR, and two recent 2nd rounders at WR-