As the Dust Settles...Positions that are Improved /Fixed

I was about to say the same.

It’s nice to have guys that have familiarity in camp playing next to each other, that have had success- playing next to each other.

If even one can stick as a true depth piece, combine with what we know we have in Crosby as a swing tackle, then we essentially need to other bodies to stand out.

———————

I would like to point out in 2019 we only got about 470 yards from our backs and 680 yards from our combined tight ends in the passing game.

Goff is great with touch and accuracy in the short and intermediate game, and Swift, Hock, Williams and Kerryon (healthy) are all pretty good receiving options.

We got 2,900 yards from Marvin, Kenny G, Ammendola and Hall as well.

So with only 1,050 to 1,150 coming from TE and RB
last in 2019 and 2020…

The Chargers under Lynn in 19’ and 20’

Had 2,000 combined receiving yards between Eckler, Gordon, Jackson, Henry in 19’

They had 1,700 combined receiving yards in 20’
between Eckler, Jackson, Kelley, Henry and Parnham

He did that with old Rivers and rookie Herbert.

Frankly I think Hock is a good or better than Henry and I think Swift is a good as Eckler at least, and I’d take J Will over the hold out version of Gordon in 19’ that had 850 total yards and 3.8 per carry.

It’s true we don’t have a Keenan Allen, but Ty Williams, Cephus, and Perriman and St Brown could be in line with their collective or close

The Chargers WRs has 2,300 yards in 19’ and 2,600 last year amongst their top 4…

I truly believe we add a solid contributor via trade or free agency soon

Even without we’d need just-

T Williams- 650
Perriman- 550
Cephus- 550
St Brown- 400

The main reason we estimate them so low is injury concerns. Just like fantasy football, we get the replacements stats too.

So signing a Dede or Tate and them getting snaps due to Williams or Perriman missing time will equate to another 400-500 veteran yards

1 Like

My son is an Eagles fan (I know, I failed) and says Vaitai was a very inconsistent frustrating player. He would show dominant flashes, but then not follow it up. He said he seemed to do well as a back-up but when he started, he couldn’t put consecutive good games together. In other words a good depth guy that should be earning 1M/year. Quinn really mismanaged our IOL from Warford to Lang to Glasgow to Vaitai. Vaitai dealt with a foot injury early last year, and for our sake, I hope that was the issue. We’ll see. Hoping Sewell will be a good influence on Vaitai. There is a south pacific connection (tonga/samoa)… only 500 mies away, LOL.

3 Likes

It’s sad when a rookie would have to be a good influence for a 7 year vet :joy::joy::joy:

I’m actually counting on this. Its the most logical place to play him.

sad for the 7 year vet and our team, yeah. but that’s why we got this kid - to set a tone.

1 Like

I think that number skyrockets next season, and anyone who has watched tape of Sewell (damn, I actually put tape… I am old) blocking on screens knows why I say that. Swift is going to be Austin Ekeler-esque from here on out, and Williams knows how to catch the ball as well. With wide receiver remaining an aspect yet to be addressed, the backs are going to pick up that slack in a huge way.

1 Like

What issue you just say something but don’t tell us the issue an why you think whatever it is …is a issue

I agree an V can show he is a starter at OG he will get his chance or be history.
I agree about over pay but constantly bring up crap past did just ruins what new staff are trying to put together.

do you consider the WR position fixed? I am not sure who sinks or swims, stays or goes, during Patricia’s reign we lost Marvin Jones JR , Kenny Golladay, Golden Tate, immediately with their hires, gained Cephus and St Brown, not sure who else can be considered good…all I am getting at. at WR . I’m not 100% it’s set…couldn’t tell you what happens between now and next offseason. not being a smartass i am quite interested in your opinions.

Name a worse WR group.

The idea that this is an ok core is nuts to me. I’m as big a homer as anyone, but I’m not crazy…

All these stat comparisons people are throwing out do not make sense. Keenan Allen and Mike Williams are legitimate threats and concerns for defenses which matter a heck of a lot more than equaling their production on paper.

It’s one thing being a fan, but let’s be realistic here…

sorry to burst your bubble, but I don’t follow any other teams- never have. so I couldn’t tell you who’s got the best receiver group. we just barely began trying to fix all the mess Quinn and Patricia assembled…so in a snap of a finger in time, which is what it’s been, I can’t say we fixed half the team already.

Well I promise you ours is ranked 32nd. With no one in sight haha

1 Like

I do not think safety is a issue. The whole defense backs will improve when a qb doesn’t have so much time to find someone open.

Ummm it’s not like we now have an amazing pass rush. It’s solid with upside. But it’s not like we have a pass rush that can hide anyone. Our Safety position (along with the WR position) is probably the worst in the league.

I think the scheme change is just as big. We won’t be rushing 3, in a read and react or in most cases it felt more like read and watch, lol

We’ll be an attacking 1 gap 3-4 or 4-3. I think that’s gonna be a huge difference. Likely won’t be top 10 in sacks, but a massive improvement from what we did.

3 Likes

For sure I agree. But I hate our Safety position almost as much as our WR position. Which sucks because those literally are my favorite two positions in football lol :man_facepalming:t2:

LOL, I hear ya. I’m really hoping this new staff can make some big strides there. I think Walker and Harris have the tools, hopefully new scheme and good position coaching can bring out their best

1 Like

Man I wanted a bunch of safeties in this draft :weary:
Jevon Holland and Andre Cisco were my favorites. Never had a shot at either though so can’t be mad

1 Like

Pretty sure nick Williams contract is 100% guaranteed this year. I believe it was part of his agreement to restructure. So i highly doubt the lions will cut him. Especially if the new scheme is single gap. That plays more to his strengths.

When discussing the Lions WRs in 2021 I think we need to look at what the Rams did in 2007 as a guiding thought here. Goff was a second year player, McVay year one and our GM came from that building. The Rams went to the playoffs that season. A loss to the Falcons. Cooper Kupp was their rookie wideout taken on rd, 3.

That Rams team didn’t have a 1,000 yard receiver. Kuup led the team in targets with 94 targets.
Gurley was second in targets with 87 followed by Robert Woods who had 85 targets. That trios combined for roughly 2,400 yards.

At the time Robert Woods had never had more than 699 receiving yards before the Rams signed him as a free agent. A LOT if attention from fans goes to Sammie Watkins because of what they paid him but he sucked there. In 15 games Sammie had 70 targets and 39 catches. A non-factor.

Perriman is pretty damn close to Robert Woods overall in terms of 2017. This isn’t going to be popular but if Tyrell Williams is healthy (yes a question) he is better than 2017 Sammie Watkins. Again. Sammie had 39 catches.

Few were arguing that the Rams had a great WR group in 2017 but most here would take that in 2017 over what we have in 2021 as at least that had Sammie Watkins. But in the REAL NFL Sammie sucked and Robert Woods set a career high in yards and rookie Kupp had a fine rookie season. And Gurley was a BEAST.

Point is at this point overall I will take the Lions weapons right now over the Rams weapons in 2017. As good as Gurley was in 2017 he was solid as a rookie but 2016 sucked for him and Godd was bad as a rookie. A new staff come sin and saves Gurley AND Goff.

I’ll take Perriman, Williams, Hock, Swift, Cephus and our rookie over Gurley, Sammie Watkins, rookie Kuup, Robert Woods, Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett.

No, I don’t think it is amazing but I think we can pressure a defense with that crew. I would LOVE an upgrade by say trading for WR Michael Gallup from Dallas but I also see a scheme in play for what we have.

If our new coaches step up they have players they can be competitive with. Maybe not beating the best but able to compete and hang with teams. Put up a great fight and be a tough out.

1 Like