Askren vs Paul Fight: Worst entertainment event in history?

The biggest losers of the night were any poor souls that paid for the PPV.

I watched most of the event (on mute ffs!) on an illegal stream link. No way I was paying a dollar for this…but I tuned in none the less.

Highlights of the event:

• Oscar De La Hoya commentating the fights while on a crazy amount of “TBD” controlled substances. He yelled “BABY” after every sentence. It hurts to watch and listen to.
  • Ric Flair making a WWE entrance only to referee a “SLAP” contest between two men.
  • Pete Davidson asking Paul about alleged sex assault charges on live TV, in the locker room, just minutes before the fight. The audio was cut out with what I’m assuming was a 5 second delay. Crazy stuff!
  • The worst musical performance in Television history. It was incredibly bad. The artists were underwhelming, and the audio was elementary school assembly level bad. It was very difficult to watch without laughing or staring into the screen with wonder.
  • Weed smoking and blunt rolling!! Hilarious how many drugs were consumed during the event. As Michael Buffer was announcing the main card…the camera pans to the commentators table and they were all rolling blunts. All…of…them. I was almost in tears laughing.
  • 4 fights on the card and only 1 was professional level. Prograis vs Redkach was a great match-up but ended with one of the craziest “phantom” below the belt punches that never landed…which ended the fight with Redkach getting stretchered out of the ring. Embarrassing on many levels!
  • Then Michael Buffer, the famed ring announcer, with decades in the entertainment business…completely bumbles Ben Askren’s name and calls him “Askew”. If there was ever a case of “you only had 1 job!!”…this was it.
  • Then the main event itself. I’m not sure anyone had a good idea of what this fight was gonna look like. But boy is was an embarrassing performance and effort by Ben Askren. Paul landed a legit right hand over the top, but Askren went down like he’d never been punched before. No one believed the former Wrestler/MMA fighter would become a world class boxer…but he looked like some guy they found in a local laundry mat just before the fight. Askren looked liked he’d never fought in his life.

I’m sure I missed a ton of crazy stuff. This event was something I’m not sure the public will ever witness again. They will attempt to replicate it, and there is ONLY room to improve.

But never again…will there be an entertainment event…this awful. Something you had to see, to believe.

Google Al Capone’s Vault.

Far less entertaining.

2 Likes

I didn’t watch it because UFC fight night was happening at the same time. Jake Pauls celebrity boxing is for social media idiots and clowns.

MMA on the other hand is an awesome sport. Quickly approaching my NFL fanhood level.

2 Likes

FYI, you can watch both at the same time. That’s what I was doing, had both streams up. So was Chael Sonnen who’s live feed I had going during the fights (love his commentary). Sonnen was watching both (Paul and MMA) and commentating on both.

As far as being for “social media idiots and clowns”, I’m not sure what that means. I personally have never had a social media account (facebook, myspace, twitter, instagram.) I have stayed out of that mess since the world wide web started.

It was a complete mess @stephenboyd57. One of the worst “entertainment” events I’ve ever witnessed.

I’ll let my previous words in the OP speak for themselves.

I meant that’s where Jake Paul got all his followers and fame was social media. He’s an internet fighter who calls people out to make money with most likely staged results. It’s basically WWE, which is for entertainment of course, but it’s not real fighting.

I’ll stick to MMA!

Did you guys see Chris Weidman’s leg injury in last weekend’s fights? Hoooo-leeee-fuuuuuch

I’ve never seen a bone wrap around another human’s leg.
Disgusting.

His facial expression didn’t even change, until he went to drop back into a fighting stance and put pressure on it, and It crumpled under him.

2 Likes

ugh…I will not watch it.

That thumbnail in the video is as far as I want to get. (I’m typing this with my chin touching my chest, LOL)

Bryant Young and Robin Ventura. I was good after seeing those two injuries.

1 Like

Exactly. I will not watch that either. Something wrong with sick people like Natty that watch that stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like gumby

Soooo True!
:wink:

1 Like

The chances of snapping your leg on a kick has to be pretty small. But being the guy that snaps his leg after being the guy facing the guy who snapped his leg like that (Anderson Silva) is so next level I can’t even compute it.

Calculating Oh No GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

This was my immediate thought too. I liked Silva, when he was young. Got super-arrogant and started mistreating other fighters too much, so I started rooting against him. Hated seeing both his and Weidman’s legs break though. Brutally unfair and super random.

My six year old daughter has been gaining interest in boxing, so I figured I’d let her watch a UFC fight to see if she liked it. That was the FIRST UFC fight she sat down to watch with me. In chronological order:

Ding ding
“Here we go”!
SNAPPP
Screaming from my daughter
“Dad, why would you make me see that”!!!

Not a good call on my part to pick that fight

4 Likes

LOL - That’s a great story, man. May have deterred her from cage fights. Young hums are hilarious. Love how innocent and open they are.

1 Like

watching the Mayweather vs Paul fight right now. (did not pay for it)

PM me for a link.

Ocho Cinco got knocked around pretty good by Bryan Maxwell.

Hurd and Arias are battling right now. Great fight so far!!

I’ve got a good link as well (currently). Yes, Hurd must not know how to hold up his left hand. Thought for sure the judges would rob Arias.

Not Showtimes fault, because it is better presented, but the rain, ice, and stickers in the ring are ridiculous. If they were all exhibition fights, no issue, but when guys futures are on the line… can’t have that. With regard to Money and Paul, I can’t remember a fight with two individuals I simply cannot stomach. One of them will get knocked, so I guess I can’t lose.

Right?!? Screaming in terror at what she saw, and then the rest of the weekend telling me to stand still so she can kick me in the leg to see if it happens to her. Kids are something else.

4 Likes

That’s fantastic. LOL. Love it!

1 Like

Should have told her, “Honey, it could have been his femur”. Just a helpful hint for future reference…

1 Like

My very first time sitting down to watch an MMA fight was in person, sitting in the front row. My wife was helping with some of the promotional stuff for the event and they gave her tickets to stay and watch the fights afterwards. Neither one of us had any idea what we were in for. Several guys got knocked out. One guy had a seizure when he hit the ground. The medic took like 4 seconds to react to it but I swear it felt like 90 seconds. Another guy got his arm broke. Nothing prepared me to see and hear an arm snap in half up close and personal. What was ironic about that happening is it was the main event, and the “headliner” was a guy who had his arm broke and hadn’t fought in over a year due to rehab. He comes back and immediately breaks this other guys arm.

2 Likes