Bad but Worse!

Not just defensive lineman but also linebackers that are very good pass rushers as well. It’s not a coincidence that we’ve taken two linebackers in the draft that spent a season playing defensive end.

1 Like

Not just the last three years. Since 2000 the lions rank 27th in sacks. Only Bengals, Cleveland Atlanta Raiders and Houston (who has played two fewer seasons) rank lower.

Lions in that span have allowed a passer rating of 93.1 - Dead last

1 Like

Other than Ziggy and Suh, who both didn’t last long in Detroit, we haven’t had much when it comes to smashing QB’s in the past 20 years. One of the main reasons we have sucked so bad.

2 Likes

I’d grade us on a bit of a curve with the passer rating. We’ve also played two games a year minimum against farve and Rogers. But that would also make you wonder why we haven’t put more resources into a pass rush. The answer is because our owners kept hiring coaches that were married to one specific scheme. Marinelli with the Tampa two, Schwartz with the wide 9, and Patricia with the cheap knockoff version of belichicks defense.

3 Likes

Yep. Gotta put Avril in there too, but he was another short-timer. Why do we let our pass rushers bolt to other teams?

1 Like

We let just about everybody bolt to other teams. We rarely resign a guy to a “real” contract extension. We seem to resign offensive lineman and have some outliers position players like Stafford, Levy, Slay and CJ. But then after that there are a bunch of guys who got short term deals for not alot of money. Graham Glasgow is a good example of how we have undervalued our own players and overvalued free agents. We let Glasgow go and then signed Big V to a big contract. WTF? We let Larry Warford and Riley Reiff go, but then spent big on TJ Lang and Ricky Wagner. We spent big on Trey Flowers but let A-Shawn Robinson go.

1 Like

It’s even worse than that sometimes. We draft players who turn out to be good players. Then we let them walk and sign free agents to huge deals that rarely turn out well for us. So then we draft the same position again that we just drafted and let the player walk. That’s pretty much the cycle of a poorly run organization.

1 Like

Still SMH over Warford.

1 Like

Avril.

But thats really it. 3 guys worth a shit in 20 years, from a long term view.

Brutal.

#VolleyballIsNotATransferableSkill

2 Likes

Haha IAF baby!! What a stud. 1 career sack for a 2nd round pick, unreal.

And it boggles my mind when fans want to INTENTIONALLY replace one of our only good players with a high draft pick. Like when people were desperate to draft a top 10 tackle so that we can get rid of Taylor Decker. WTF kind of asinine logic is that? Its like having 2 flat front tires and replacing the perfectly good left rear tire instead.

3 Likes

Or continually drafting running backs in the second round when your roster has numerous other needs.

That logic does make sense if you get a player that’s an absolute upgrade. If we have Sewell on one side but a tackle like Orlando pace is available I’d have to consider taking him and trading decker. But that’s the only situation. If you have that one prospect that everyone knows is heads and shoulders above everyone else.

1 Like

This thread makes me want to stick my head into my blue and silver oven.

1 Like

Not, it doesn’t. Not on a team that lacks talent all across the board.

1 Like

I was thinking more along the lines of a talented roster. Where your trying to upgrade or draft for depth. Like the ravens do most of the time. That’s where a move like that would make sense.

1 Like

This is THE EXACT POINT that I made in a previous thread when discussing why the Lions could never sustain any success in the three years they have made the playoffs since 2009… :man_facepalming:

Yup - also…changing systems every 3 years…you need to get players that “fit the new system” and it is also conducive to this phenomenon …coupled with horrible coaches, bad strategies, bad GMs, etc, etc, etc, etc. Brutal.

2 Likes

That just shows you’re a smart man. :grin::+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.