Baker Mayfield?

But he is his size. Darrell Green without his speed would’ve been a crappy corner. Larry Allen without his strength would’ve been a crappy guard.

1 Like

I’m so not a fan of his attitude, that I don’t like to admit it, but he is a good QB. Injuries are slowing him down though.

Me without my hair…wait…I don’t have hair…Nevermind

2 Likes

As if you couldn’t say that about a million other QBs in this league. Cam has had such an impact on that franchise down in Charlotte…almost single handily.

Talks like Joe Don, but plays like Tammy Faye.

He has career sub 60% completion rate, he’s thrown under 4,000 yards the last 7 straight years, has a career TD:INT ratio under 2:1… He’s mediocre at best as a QB

Mediocre “at best” QBs don’t win league MVPs. That’s not how it works.

Cam can no longer throw. There is something seriously wrong with him and he will probably never be a decent starter again. He has carried that team for quite a few years and deserves respect.

2 Likes

He’s got an 11 win, 12 win and 15 win season under his belt, as well as a Super Bowl appearance. 4,800 career rushing yards with 52 TDs and 68 career wins.

I wouldn’t put Cam amongst the leagues elite, but I think mediocre is taking it a little far.

1 Like

Team sport, he’s had a great defense and running game every successful year…I said he’s a mediocre QB, his running ability combined with his size made him better than a mediocre player.

His MVP season was pedestrian, his stats don’t stack up against most MVPs. That year Carolina had the #1 overall offense, but the 24th best passing game. Jonathan Stewart had the 4th best YPG in the league and then yes, Cam was running around for about 50 yards a game. Last year Matt Ryan had 5000 yards 35TDs and 7INTs, didn’t sniff MVP bc his defense was 25th and the running game was 27th so their record was bad. Cam was put up on this pedestal I’ll never understand, I believe it’s because he’s a black QB that has a big personality. Russell Wilson had almost identical stats in 2015, but didn’t get a vote for MVP…Cam has always been overrated.

I think you are putting way too much emphasis on the wrong stats. There was nothing pedestrian about Cam Newton’s MVP season. Cam’s passing numbers were similar to Brett Favre’s in all 3 of Brett’s MVP seasons, and those were the best 3 seasons in Brett’s career. So Brett Favre was a pedestrian passer? But Brett didn’t add another 600 yards rushing and 10 more touchdowns.

Was Troy Aikman a mediocre QB?

While we are at it let’s add John Eleay to the mediocre QBs club too. At least according to the criteria that has been set for Cam Newton…:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

On a very basic level I think it is highly flawed to make any argument that is based off the premise that _____ wouldn’t be very good at _________ if you take away the element that makes him special. Seems like a pointless excercise.

Cam was absolutely elite in one season. He’s been pretty good in a few others and mediocre for a few. In the NFL it’s actually pretty difficult to find even that kind of play at QB.

Once there is enough type of Kyle Allen he will regress into being just a fringe average NFL starter and the Panthers will be looking forward to getting a healthy Cam back.

1 Like

Very well said and I agree with every word. Saying “if Tom Brady was only 5’9” tall" is kind of an irrelevant argument unless its for a completely different kind of a conversation.

Different Era of football

No its not. Let’s keep playing. Cam’s numbers were comparable to Peyton Manning’s in 4 of his MVP seasons, and I could make an argument that its 5 of them. Let me guess…different era?

Hammer meet nail totally agree.

He had one outlier season when he lit the league up. Other than that, he’s been mediocre for the most part. People overrate him because of that one season, the “Superman” runs and because he’s an athletic freak. As a pure QB, mediocre to pretty good. Was he ever a legit top 10 QB outside of that one season? Maybe once or twice, arguably.

1 Like