Bandwagon fans

I just posted the video of Jamo saying we are about to take off don’t be jumping on the bandwagon when we do… As we all know, Lions have been building something special now for a couple years, and with all the free agent moves we have made to this point, and before Brad Holmes steals the draft again, I want you guys to post here how long you’ve been a lions fan and what made you become a Lions fan and give me the year, so that way when new fans join our ranks (you’re welcomed of course) I would love for them to see this post and see there fellow fans and get to know them more. It’s different for my OG fans those that was on this ride and stuck here on all those lows when we were the laughing stock and joke of the league, (y’all different :heart:).

1 Like

Been a Lions fan since 89ish. I’m not saying this about your post, you’re being very friendly and welcoming, but I hate the idea of people getting butt hurt about people jumping on a band wagon. Us being fans our whole lives doesn’t make us better or more special fans. People deserve to enjoy their free time, and for most of the past 50 years being a Lions fan was painful. If I could be a bandwagoner I would, because why not enjoy your Sundays. That being said, be welcoming as possible to bandwagoners, it’s a good thing, growing the Lions fan base. The bigger the better.

14 Likes

I hold nothing against fans that gave up at any point in the last 20 years. They’re more than welcome back.

The problem with the Lions spell of ineptitude, which BTW, is ongoing until they actually win something meaningful, is that it has also repelled potential fans. In that way, it’s the fault of the franchise, not those fans.

That, of course, takes nothing away from all of us for being so committed.

11 Likes

Born in ‘86 and have been a fan since ‘96 when we got to play at the Silverdome for our CYO Pep Bowl.

Been on this forum since 2008.

4 Likes

Bandwagon is not to bad to tolerate, now fair weather fans drive me nuts.

4 Likes

Me too. Watched Barry Sanders in the Holiday Bowl and decided wherever he went that was my team.

2 Likes

I’m gonna be 60 in June. Been a Lions fan all my life—moved to Michigan when I was 3. I moved to Ohio for work from 1985-2022. Finally got back to Michigan after retiring.

My first favorite Lions player that I have a recollection of was Altie Taylor.

2 Likes

I was born in 1959. My Grandpa has season tickets, so I was a fan from birth. I only lived in Detroit metro for my senior year in HS in 76-77, so I have been ridiculed my whole life on why I am a Lions fan? I do not mind bandwagon or fair-weather fans; it is their choice. Just do not call me one.

4 Likes

We haven’t won a damn division title since 93 and have 1 playoff win in franchise history. It’s pretty much impossible to be a bandwagon Lions fan.

6 Likes

Been a fan since 1978. Dexter Bussey was the man. The only one I won’t climb back onto the bandwagon is a colleague of mine. He’s been bashing my Lions for a decade so he’s not allowed on the wagon.

3 Likes

I agree that there is no problem with bandwagon fans. Fans don’t owe teams nearly as much as teams owe fans. I’m definitely a fair weather fan wrt to Red Wings and Pistons. I’m just not that passionate about them but I jump on board when they are fun to follow.

I’ve been a fan since '79 when Danielson and Reed both got hurt and Komlo started most of the year. That was a great year to become a fan as I did beat the bandwagon the following year. Had season tickets in early '90s until I moved out of state then again when I moved back, until I gave up on Millen and sold them ~ 2006.

3 Likes

Lol I’ll be 60 tomorrow and been a Lions fan sense 1973 after watching a Thanksgiving game at my uncle’s house. I was 10 years old.

5 Likes

Born: 1958
NFL fan: 1968
Lion fan: 1973
Board member: 1999
Season ticket holder: '78 - '83

Looking forward to new meat…

4 Likes

I consider myself a fair weather/band wagon fan. As in: I like the Lions when they do well, dislike them when they do poorly. More often than not I dislike more than like or have minimal expectations. Seems to greatly help my personal mental health.

3 Likes

Been a fan for 58 years, through all the bad times. I’m still here and supporting. Exciting times right now. Holmes is really impressive in what he seems to be building. Can you guys imagine this state if we could win a SB. I-75 parade n party from the Bridge to Ford Field. Shut it down, get the vendors and food trucks out, everyone get the lawn chairs out and line it up for 200 miles :laughing:

4 Likes

In that case, happy early birthday Tc!! I hate those birthdays that end in a zero!!

2 Likes

Parade on Woodward, from “The Loop” to the river. Everybody gets a seat!

The Den rents out the upper level of Duggan’s in Royal Oak.

3 Likes

Either way I’m there for it
Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

2 Likes

Thank you

Born in 80. Been a lions fan since the early 90’s. Hardcore fan since 99. It would have been sooner but I loved how joe Gibbs Washington teams played football. Wish Detroit had offensive lines like that before now.

1 Like