Bears could trade Justin Fields to Baltimore

This is what I was going to say as I was reading the topic. Complete smoke screen. This gets out and now every GM subconsciously has to start thinking about how much MORE they will give now for that pick.

1 Like

I sure hope it’s not true. If the Bears got a couple of 1sts for Fields and drafted Bryce that would be awful.

1 Like

Colts moving to #1 makes the most sense if they want “their guy”.

Mel said on radio today that he’s talked to multiple GM’s that wouldn’t consider Young a top 5 pick based on his weight (not his height). They wouldn’t stake their future on a guy with that build. Need to be 205+ to even be considered.

I imagine Young is working right now on trying to add muscle prior to the combine (only a month away).

1 Like

One thing I’ve learned over the years, never doubt Andy Reid. Traded Tyreek away and had the #1 offense in the nfl in yards and points per game. The old cheeseburger eating fella is an offensive mastermind!

2 Likes

Exactly, stick with Fields, it’ll work out great I swear!

Michael Scott Wink GIF

4 Likes

This guy weighed 200 lbs. Might want to consider height when you’re looking at weight. If the 5’11 guy weighs the same as the 6’5" guy, it might not all be muscle (young Stafford for life).

2 Likes

It’s a little early for just any QB to enjoy that kind of team success with the Lions. Remember in 2018 the Niners signed Jimmy to a then record 5-Year, $137.5 Million Contract. He went 39-18 with them and came really close to the SB last year

After they signed Jimmy to that deal they got Bosa and Deebo the next year in the draft

If we follow their model we sign Goff to a five year deal, continue to draft well and in 2027 we can plug in any QB to keep winning

2025 is too early? Because last time we discussed this (probably 30 minutes ago lol), his contract still has 2 more years on it. And as you throughly know, I am not advocating moving on from Goff before his current contract is up.

Goff already has his contract, extending him further is not what the 49ers did with Jimmy G.

But they did sign him to the big extension after he was a Niner. They traded a second round pick and he went 7-0 as a starter before they signed an extension. At the time it beat out Matthew Stafford for the biggest QB deal yet

“…After an outstanding showing once he became a regular on the field, general manager John Lynch made it clear this is the long-term answer at quarterback, via Ian Rapoport of NFL.com:

“When you find the right guy at that position, it’s really good for your franchise. We believe we’ve found the right guy. Now the challenge is getting Jimmy signed. We’re working hard towards that. We’ll see. I think he wants to be with us and we want him there. I think it makes too much sense not to happen. So it’s just a matter of getting it done.”

The two sides were able to come to an agreement to keep the 26-year-old in San Francisco for the foreseeable future…”

Jimmy Garoppolo, 49ers Agree on Record 5-Year, $137.5 Million Contract >

If we extend Goff, and in three years are a dropped interception away from making the Super bowl who here is going to be mad?

(well aside from being mad about the dropped interception haha)

Seems like a good model to follow. Then sure, once we are stocked with talent across the board we can let 32 year old Goff spend a year mentoring the new kid whether we trade up ala Lance or draft Mr Irrelevant

Why…why do we continue to do this………

We traded for Jared Goff, restructured his deal after acquiring him. 49ers traded for Jimmy G, then gave him a contract extension. This is the comparison in this situation. Not extending Goff after a restructure, after two years of play here, and with two years left in his current deal that pays him well over the next two years.

How are you literally trying to spin a Goff extension mirroring what the 49ers did with Garoppolo? We have already done what the 49ers did with him. And after JImmys 4th season, the 49ers sold the farm to replace him with a rookie. A little over one year removed from taking his team to the SB.

You are trying to spin it to fit a comparison here. The comparison has already happened. The trade, the extension vs restructure…a contract that extends Goff past the 4 years he’s under contract with the Lions is not the same. It’s completely different actually.

And no, if the Lions make it to a SB with Goff I would definitely be happy and not disappointed. But can the guy win a playoff game here first before we continue talk about an extension? Some act like it’s a forgone conclusion that the Lions will be in the SB in the next 2 years.

It’s so weird to continue to tag me in posts regarding the Goff situation. Like I don’t think I could be anymore clear about how I feel about it. And my thoughts and concerns are completely valid. Is it so important to hammer it home until I say, “ok, you’re right.” Like why do you care so much how I feel about this? Or why do you try so hard to convince me I’m wrong? I really don’t understand it at this point. It is completely exhausting and a waste of time.

Here I thought your argument was that QBs shouldn’t get the top contracts

Is your argument simply regarding the number of restructures irrespective of contract value?

Because if your argument is the 49ers model is not paying a veteran but young QB top value then it seems unsupported. Because they did

I don’t recall, what is Jimmy’s salary this year?
Edit: I found it:
When Garoppolo agreed to restructure his contract with the 49ers, he accepted a deal that only paid him $6.5 million in guaranteed money for 2022

1 Like

You know exactly what my stance is. Your main goal here is try to and trip me up…it’s very obvious.

Jimmy Garoppolo got paid before these contract explosions that have occurred in the last few years. I don’t like what they did and I’m not suggesting doing it…CLEARLY.

I like what they did with moving on from a solid game managing QB instead of paying him because he took them to a SB.

Would it satisfy you and make you happy if I said I don’t prefer the 49ers model? Would that make you feel like mission accomplished?

By the end of next season, I fully expect the Lions to be SB contenders headed into 2024. With Goff in his last year of his contract, with a young loaded roster ready to compete for a long time. I would like to see them draft Goffs 2025 POTENTIAL replacement in the 2024 draft. That is the 49er model I am referring to. Would that not be an accurate take on what the 49ers did and what I’m hoping happens with our current team? Or is there something else you want to tweak to make it look like I’m making another bad take?

this year? off the top of my head a base 6 million and 250k for every game played. But he already played out his top market contract - which they did in 2018.

Apples to apples the situation and the Lions and Goff are more like the 2018 49ers.

If we were to follow their model we extend Goff, keep building the team, then draft his replacement a year before his next contract is up

Arguing a team shouldn’t give a QB a top contract is in contrast to how the Niners actually built their current team over the last five years

1 Like

And your only goal is to poke holes. What I am suggesting MOVING FORWARD…is doing what the 49ers have done.

Is it really not obvious that’s what I’m talking about? Is it necessary to say “well that’s not exactly accurate.” This is actually the 49ers model. CLEARLY, with my stance on QB contracts, I don’t like the part where they paid Jimmy G. CLEARLY, I’m not referring to that being a good idea when stating I like the 49ers model.

So again, if it makes you feel like you won…I made a mistake in referencing or comparing what the Lions are doing to the 49ers model.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say my only goal is to poke holes. It’s also to help me understand what might change my own way of looking at things. And appreciate the exchange. I’m sorry it seems to frustrate you

I hear you, respect you as a quality poster and more or less understand your position. I wonder, if you have the patience indulge questions:

1. Do you think the Niners regret the big contract to JG?

2. Do you think it helped or hurt their build to a SB window?

3. Should the Lions not have signed the 135 million dollar extension to Stafford in 2017?

Things change after you gain more data as time goes on.

Do I think the 49ers regret the Jimmy G contract? No, I don’t. They have had a lot of success over the course of that contract. Do I think they could’ve gotten it done without him? Yes I do, but that’s playing what ifs and I’m not a fan of that.

Do I think that contract affected their build? No, I don’t. But again like I was saying before, the timing of his contract isn’t the same as a Jared Goff extension would be. If Goff receives an extension, it’s going to be years added after his current deal. Our entire team is young, meaning we are gonna have to pay a lot of really good players in the next few years. A Jared Goff extension is going to have an affect on THIS teams build 100%.

Should the Lions have signed Matt Stafford in 2017 to an extension. This is a question that is completely different than the other two. Why it’s being brought up is a set up, but whatever I don’t care.
The Lions organization has been a joke up until last season. I mean the worst franchise in professional sports. If almost any other franchise had Matt Stafford for a decade, I have no doubt in my mind he would’ve made multiple SB runs. Stafford is a special talent. He is what you want as a Franchise QB. He is not the type that you let go because you have to pay him. He’s the type that you build around for the duration of his career. But to answer your question, should the Lions have paid Stafford? Yes, but Stafford should’ve never signed to stay. He is the best QB this franchise has ever seen by a country mile. If the Lions would’ve let him go, it would’ve been hilarious. But because incompetent morons ran the organization, they almost single handedly destroyed one of the better QBs of his era. Very happy Stafford got his ring. He earned it like no other player has. And he’s probably going to pay a price for it with his body for the rest of his life.

Now I already know what’s coming next. Ahhhh…now I know why you feel the way you do about Goff. Believe whatever you want to, it has little to do with why I’m not ready to give Goff an extension. I’ve watched more football than most in my lifetime, a lot more. Jared Goff is good. I am happy with him being my teams QB for 4/5 years. But he is not a cornerstone, franchise type QB imo. I am happy to have him and do think he’s capable of going on a run with this team. And extending him early because it might save us a few bucks down the road is just dumb imo. Why handcuff yourself to this type of player if you don’t have to? Everyone agrees that he is happy here right? He isn’t going to handcuff this team after the 2024 season with massive demands to set the QB market right? Isn’t that what everyone on this board believes? That he’s gonna take less to play here? Then why on earth would you shell out unnecessary money before that point? What if he suffers an injury and is never the same? What if he has plateaued or regresses? There are so many reason why you should wait till this contract runs it’s course. And only one reason to extend him early…I see nothing to gain doing it now.

3 Likes

And the discussion about Fields rumors being out there but also a smoke-screen has now turned into a SF and yet another Goff thread. What a shocker.

I’m shocked.

This is clearly a shocking development.

Season 1 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

1 Like

Top of the market deal at the time.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/961678645176696833?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^961678645176696833|twgr^ddfde6f5330d6e25bb1220d3c685e54e253f46e8|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-1489110085593134064.ampproject.net%2F2301112346000%2Fframe.html