Bears trade Khalil Mack to Chargers

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1502038575671652354?s=20&t=ITNxfHaj-0CeNmuElupleQ

Interesting

Bosa and Mack?

Sounds like they were impressed with the Rams pass rush after Von Miller arrived… and they might need it with Mahomes, Russ, and Carr in the division.

3 Likes

2nd and 6th in return

2 Likes

Welcome to the toughest division in football Russell! I just wish there were some way the Raiders could trade for Rodgers. That’s ok though, in another year or two the lions will have a playoff roster and hopefully beat Rodgers into retirement.

1 Like

Wilson should have fun.

That’s the best they can do?

Bye!

1 Like

Bears rebuilding for sure!

Wonder if roquan is available lol

1 Like

Let’s see: Wilson gone in Seattle, Mack gone in Chicago. Looks like 3 stone-cold lock more victories in 2022 than we had a couple of days ago.

1 Like

Eberflus didn’t take that job to watch Roquan get shipped out.

I think they should be a good gauge for us. If our front office and coaching staff are worthy then we should be ahead of CHI this season.

If we’re behind CHI then our FO is probably not the answer.

2 Likes

The aftermath:

8. I think it’s hard to judge the winner of the 2018 trade of Khalil Mack to the Bears, now that Mack has been traded to the Chargers. I wrote about it my column last November, and to break it down with finality: The Raiders traded Mack, then 27, after his fourth NFL season, plus second-round and seventh-round picks, to Chicago for two first-round picks, a third-rounder and a sixth-rounder.

Chicago paid Mack $90.1 million in his four seasons as a Bear Chicago went 34-33 in those four years and won zero playoff games In his 55 games in Chicago, Mack had 36 sacks, made one first-team all-pro team (2018) and was second in defensive player of the year voting in 2018 The second-round pick, tight end Cole Kmet, has been a serviceable NFL starter.

The Raiders made the trade because, as coach Jon Gruden said at the time, you can’t pay two players franchise money, and they already were paying Derek Carr franchise money. That’s a dubious, and incorrect, assertion by Gruden. The Rams just won the Super Bowl while paying three players (Jalen Ramsey, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Donald) franchise-player money One of the first-round picks has become a good NFL back, Josh Jacobs. The other, cornerback Damon Arnette, was released after a video surfaced last November appearing to show him with a gun threatening to kill someone The third-round pick, Bryan Edwards, has been a marginal receiver With the cap money they saved by not paying Mack, the Raiders signed a slew of forgettable players: Trent Brown, Antonio Brown, Lamarcus Joyner, Tyrell Williams For all the hoo-hah of the trade, the Raiders are left with one contributing player, Jacobs.

I am reminded of how one writer described a baseball trade (I forget which one) a long time ago: a trade that hurt both teams. I’m stealing that for the 2018 deal between the Raiders and Bears.