Before we just gloss over the idea of Tua to the Lions at 3

Tua is damaged goods , his injury is so damn significant and can never be glossed over , he will never be the same , the titanium permanently in his hip will make sure of that , this type of injury is forever and ongoing and can get worse with time. I would not touch him

I posted this in another thread but it is relevant here ……

I don’t see it , Joe Burrow coming into the year was a second day pick at best .

He has a small amount of quality tape, if you look at his game and his play in 2018 it was actually just okay . He had an incredible year in 2019 . He could also bend over and tie his shoe this year with LSU prior to delivering the pass which will never be the case in the NFL . He lacks a cannon , not a specimen by any means physically . He is extremely accurate ……

Justin Herbert to me is the best QB coming out for the long term . I liked Herbert , Tua , Burrrow and Eason in that order . Post Tua injury it’s Herbert , Burrow, Eason, Tua for me ……I’m a huge Stafford fan & want nothing to do with replacing him but would be down right giddy to land Herbert and start him in 2022 after backing up Stafford for 2 years . I like Herbert as much as I liked Stafford coming out and Stafford was one of my most favorite QB’s I ever scouted and researched when he was coming out .

Can the lions really take a risk taken a QB this year, when we have other big needs. Plus Green Bay could take a risk drafting Rodgers, cause Packers didn’t suck. Matt will be back.

If the pick was Grant Delpit LSU Safety at #3 it would be rich but my GOD the kid is special . Everything Patricia would want in a Safety and as a swiss army knife .

Love, Love, Love this kid in a trade down

If you draft Tua, what would be the point in keeping Stafford for any more than one season? You would ideally want to get Tua in as the starter by week 5 or 6. The Lions will be basically eliminated from playoff contention by then. One of the main advantages of having a young QB is getting him on the rookie contract. Keeping him on the bench for the remainder of Stafford’s contract and starting him in year 3 or 4 of his career makes no sense at all. You don’t draft a QB at #3 overall to keep him on the bench for a few years.
You either need to pass on him altogether or get him in the starting position by the middle of his first season.
All the other QBs taken early in the draft get their shot by the beginning of their second season.
2019 Murray, Jones, Haskin
2018 Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson
2017 Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson
2016 Goff, Wentz
Who didn’t see Rosen sucking a mile away?
If Tua is the draft choice, then that would point to the braintrust coming back in 2021 too.

To make my stance, I’d prefer to not pick a QB until the third round but that’s me

Yeah, but, not falling for another Duck.

We’re almost 2 decades removed from Joey… If we didn’t draft from schools that we’ve taken players that bust, we’d be drafting from division III schools… Maybe we should only draft players from Georgia Tech, Nebraska and Mississippi State

Tua is one of my favorite all-time QB prospects but it doesn’t make any sense for us to draft him.

For one, we have a QB who should still have plenty of years left. At the very least we can’t move on from his contract for another two years. And yes, the back injury is a little scary, but less so than Tua’s hip injury.

Right, that’s the second reason: Tua’s injury history. It’s frightening, and it’s hard to overlook. He’s one of those guys who just gets tackled awkwardly as he’s trying to make a play. That might speak to an injury proneness.

Third, we have so, so, so many other pressing needs. Tua would be a luxury pick, and we don’t have the luxury to make luxury picks. Or at least, Quinn and Patricia don’t.

Right, that’s number four: Quinn and Patricia have to win now. Drafting a QB who’s likely to ride the bench for at least two years is no way to do that.

I think he’s likely to go back to school so it’s probably moot anyway.

I was kidding. I noticed Herbert in the Washington State game. I think I even posted something about it.
He is the most NFL ready QB in the draft, imo. Plug and play, pretty much.
And if Bobby is his dad, I definitely want him. A family tradition of winning. In Detroit!

This is likely a red-shirt season for Tua because of the injury. No way do you invest a #3 overall pick for a QB when you already have a top 10 franchise QB who’s still only 31 years old. He’s got another 8-9 years left in the tank. The Lions are in a win now mode. It will be a crime if they waste the career of the franchises best QB ever. Besides, the odds that Tua has a better career than Stafford is low.

3 Likes

Well then… Ya got me :joy:

1 Like

I’m in this camp.

1 Like

Absolutely no chance Lions take a Qb in round 1. BQ and MP need to win now. Not in 3-4 years.

1 Like

I guess that Herbert’s play doesn’t really matter. His production against even decent quality competition leaves a lot to be desired.

Joe Burrow is by leaps and bounds the best QB prospect in this draft class. I guess I could see the rational in someone preferring a healthy Tua but I just don’t get how anyone can have Herbert above Burrow.

1 Like

That was easy.:grin:

Quinn’s job is on theine (assumably). He’s not going to draft a player who won’t be starting for a few years. If the had fired Quinn, it might have been a very different story.

This is also why I’m not convinced that Okudah will be the pick since corners usually don’t have high impact in Year 1. I have a feeling that Brown is high on their list. They could plug him in right away, he has that versatility and fatness that they love too.

They say you choose a dog that mirrors yourself…maybe Patricia picks players this way…

#CaptainLou
#GetThatManARubberBandOrTwo

I’m not very good at hard to get :man_shrugging:

I cant understand the thought that Joe Burrow is such a lock and this claim of him being the #1 QB head and shoulders better than Herbert in just one good season …Burrow 2 years ago had to transfer schools because he could not beat out J.T Barrett and Haskins was being given the starting job at Ohio State .
Joe Burrow as the starter just one short season ago for LSU completed just 57% of his passes . Coming into this season he was likely a 4th round pick and not remotely a top 10 QB coming into the season.
His season was incredible , NO DOUBT …but is he a one year wonder , that LSU team was special and the O-Line was great . I just cant dismiss 2018 and his lack of potential in Ohio State .

Because guys never improve when they are 22 or 23.

1 Like