Ben Johnson for OC

They’ve become my favourite Lions podcast
They’re all over what Holmes and Campbell are doing here
Another one I like is “One Of These Years”

If more hear listened to these guys there’d be far fewer bizarre posts critical of this regime.

If they truly are following a servant leadership model, it bodes well for the future. It’ll be strange to see the Lions being perennial playoff contenders … maybe more? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

ALL OF THIS! YOU ARE MY NEW FAVORITE POSTER. MY MAN!

I legit have posted links like 5 different times over the years and no nibbles. Best place to get lions information and connect anywhere…

Lets Go Reaction GIF

1 Like

I suppose that’s why you’re one of the people whose posts here consistently make sense to me. :grinning:

Early on, the organization and culture these guys are building has been very clear to anyone who wanted to understand it.

Even at 0-for, what 10?, I was fine because I was amazed at some of the progress I was seeing.

The FIRE MCDC / sky is falling threads really threw me back — like huh? Now Holmes ego is a problem. Huh?

It could be that the Goff reclamation project has turned the corner. The guy just needed the right kind of coach in his ear. I’ve noticed Goff seems to LOVE DC … the way he goes to him after games. Goff loves and appreciates what Campbell has done for him. He will stay here as long as he can.

And we just might have our QB of the future. I’m not ready to bury him yet. That of course is yet to be determined and it would be nice if they found someone worth drafting for development purposes.

It FINALLY is truly an interesting time to be a Lions fan.

4 Likes

Just an add, also makes the D an attractive place to come as a position coach.

3 Likes

I just want to add…how MCDC handled the entire thing i felt was impressive. It is an ingredient to the bigger picture and why it might work in Detroit. How MCDC treats every single human being at all times. It is why I made a big deal of it compared to the Joe Judge handled Jason Garrett and throwing him under the bus to the team. Players and coaches are going to want to play and work with MCDC.

4 Likes

QB, perhaps I’m missing it but what’s the name of the podcast your’re referring to?

1 Like

if you didn’t get my DM, reach out and I’ll resend.

1 Like

@QBHATER90 Please send my way too. :+1:t3:

So they lied about A Lynn still being the run game coordinator?

I guess if you want to look at it like that. You didn’t want him involved…He was checked out. He, wasn’t really doing anything. He didn’t want to do anything. They were honestly letting him save face.

3 Likes

I understand the attraction if he indeed is drawing up some of these plays. That said, what does he bring to the table? I think this team could use a young aggressive OC with some experience. Someone that can run the offense, call plays, manage the clock, and be a sounding board for DC. Ben Johnson can continue with his input into the passing games, but I would rather have someone with experience to help this young coaching staff that needs experience.

I would just say that Dan Campbell knows what he wants. He knows what’s working in the NFL. His pulling the plug on Lynn mid-season is a proof of that. It’s easy to overlook that, people have been looking past his knowledge of offense since he was hired.

I don’t say all this as any sort of praise, rather that we need to accept how convicted Dan is about how an offense and defense should operate. It’s his team and his opportunity.

If BJ has a shared vision and an ability to get his players right on the details, then DC will absolutely consider him. If you look at the current coaches, I’m sure that an NFL-ready Lions playbook can be constructed, if it’s not already done.

As for calling the game, I’m convinced Dan will continue with that.

2 Likes

Ben Johnson IS a young, aggressive offensive coordinator! Over 12 years in the game, experience with different pro teams and coaches and he has been a position coach at WR, TE and he was an assistant QB Coach and an offensive assistant. Ben was a QB in college.

Ben’s resume is impressive period. Ben is ready for more responsibility and it sounds like he did that for half the season already.

I see no reason no look outside the organization to fill this position when the perfect candidate is already here.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s a no brainer to promote him to OC if everything we’re hearing about him and MCDC basically collaborating on the position half the season already. It’s crazy to think of how many good positional coaches we have that should eventually leave for OC / DC coordinator positions within a couple years. Pleasant, Staley, Johnson and Fraley seem to be trending in that direction already. Great sign for the Lions.

3 Likes

Long ago I was told OL guys generally do not make good OCs
If true, I wouldn’t include Fraley on that list

Thoughts?

1 Like

Send me the info too please

1 Like

Great perspective bro

Thanks. Just be careful, because I’m the best at rationalizing things in a perfectly logical way… while still being completely wrong.

That said, don’t you think DC sees his play-calling as having breathed life into his QB and offense? Not micro-managing like McVay seems to, rather just infusing the whole operation with a bit of pride and confidence? Someone would have to make a REALLY good case for him giving that up. For him it’s too much of a rush and it’s been too fruitful to just turn it over to a new hire. It would have to be a pretty special OC in his eyes to gain that trust at this point.

1 Like

YES! I definitely do. Dan shows faith in his guys, and as long as he doesn’t get too conservative, when we get more talent, this is my favorite thing about his style (the very thing some others complain about). I think Dan or whoever is putting our plays together, is a very creative football mind. Couple that with Dan’s aggressiveness and faith in his guys…I LOVE THAT SHIT!

When I coached youngsters, I told them the reason I was able to call a game the way I did, was because I believe in them. I believe in you to get the first down. I believe in the D to stop them, if we don’t. That risk/reward style of football is fun for the guys too.

Also a huge yes to this. Creates ownership and a deeper sense of brotherhood.

1 Like

I want DC to call the game with Ben in his ear. I’d expect DC to pretty much rubberstamp Ben’s play suggestions, but I want DC fully involved and in charge at critical junctures of the game.

2 Likes