Best and Worst - wins and losses

I stand corrected. That loss still hurt though. I think we would have played the giants in the first round that year if we’d won.

2 Likes

Yep I just double checked it. I thought the Falcons were 11-5 for some reason. So you were right that they would have been the 5 seed. But in 2014 the Packers and Lions played for the division title. I think the Lions would have been the 2 seed had they won that game

2 Likes

You put together 2 accurate memories in your post. One was 2011 and one was 2014. Going to Lambeau with all of the marbles on the line was 2014. The NFL even flexed us into the primetime spot for week 17 because it was an “all or nothing” game. The rest of it was 2011. Rodgers was out because the Packers dominated that season, so they had nothing to play for in week 17. That’s how Flynn got the start. And BECAUSE the Packers were dominating so much that season, they anticipated the Flynn start in week 17 and Flynn actually started gameplanning for us for 6+ weeks prior to that start. The Saints beatdown was also 2011.

Going back to 2014. Had we won that game we wouldn’t have had to go to Dallas and get hosed by the refs.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we would have played the giants and not the Saints in 2011 had we beaten Green Bay. That’s a game we could have won.

3 Likes

That is correct…the Lions would have went to MetLife. I think they beat the Giants. I’m still confused as to how the Giants dominated the Falcons to the tune of 24-2 :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Better than I expected.

Y’all are clearing up what has faded to a shade of gray in the ole memory bank.

1 Like

That’s when they just got hot as a team. The giants defensive line just started dominating games didn’t they?

1 Like

That’s the game that made Matt Flynn millions and millions of dollars.

1 Like

That ATL game in 08 I remember very well… at least the first quarter. Ugh…

I gotta say one of the better wins in my opinion was this past year when we beat the Vikings

The Giants were Super Bowl champs. They beat the Packers team that beat us with a backup QB and beat a 49ers team that beat us in Detroit. Then they pulled off the upset over the Pats.

There is literally nothing in the last 64 years of Lions football to suggest we would have had any shot of going to New York and winning a playoff game.

2 Likes

Well my opinion is that the Lions matched up very well with the Giants and I think they would have won. So there that is! :tumbler_glass:

I was watching that game in a Mexican resort hotel with Spanish announcers. It’s the game where Chris Johnson went off. Every long run the Spanish announcers were laughing at our Lions. I was so pissed. I don’t speak Spanish, but you could tell they were making fun of us, because they were laughing!!!

1 Like

Every long run Chris Henry was laughing at the Lions, too. So much disrespect for that team.

we used to go to a CA, Hawaii or Mexican resort for every Thanksgiving. Means I’d always have to find a TV to watch out team! Once in Maui I’m in the lobby bar watching the game. I’m the only one watching there. Then a small group of Patriots fans walk in and turn the channel. I jump up! They start mocking me a Lions fan! Thank goodness I had been tipping the bartender handsomely or I might of got my ass kicked.

This is one that really comes to mind, because it was more than just a loss. It was two franchises in rebuild (or re-tooling for us) mode, one with a rookie QB. Monday night. We were all on board the Patricia train who was going to push a borderline playoff team to the next level and we just got destroyed. For all the nation to see. I don’t know as we really recovered, or the team for that matter until that staff was shown the door. I have to put the two playoff losses with Stafford as worse just because of what was at stake, but that was a real butt kicker. Then Darnold goes on to show just how bad he was, making the dismantling of our team that much worse.

Worst losses:

1. Tucker 60 yard fg on MNF part 1. There is more then just the game that made game bad…that day might have been the worst day of my life and that game was the icing on the shit cake.
  2. rodgers Hail Mary after a bullshit call.
  3. cowboys playoff game.
  4. any game decided by a ref.
  5. jets game Reggie brown neck injury.
  6. tucker part 2 w my dumbass brother in law (ravens fan) screaming in my face.

Best wins:

1. Detroit vs Dallas playoff game.
  2. lions beat Chargers to clinch playoffs in 2011.

That’s it. The rest don’t matter. The Dallas Detroit qb sneak game was fun. Etc….

BEST WIN: Billy Sims debut at the reigning Super Bowl champs house (LAR). A total blowout.

WORSE LOSS: Wide right @ San Fran. (ala Monte’s Prayer)

The Rams were not the Super Bowl Champs

1 Like

Here are a couple that I haven’t seen specifically mentioned:

2000 End-of-Season Loss to the Bears - Kept us out of the playoffs and ushered in the Matt Millen era. If only we could’ve seen what Moeller could’ve done…

1994 Monday Night OT Win vs. DAL - This was a fun win on its own, but I very specifically remember watching this with my brother (who isn’t a sports guy) and sharing the excitement.

You’re right, and thanks for the clarification. :+1: