Best young studs

Parker and Price

2 Likes

I think these 2 guys show that BH does know talent because they showed more then some vets

5 Likes

And sometimes motivated undrafted guys have nothing to lose. Good on BH finding them, we got plenty of opportunities in Detroit for young players.

2 Likes

Agreed and I’m shocked Holmes hasn’t done more at safety yet. He brought in Dean Marlowe and Price was a Safety in college.

The Rams drafted safeties every year and they’ve all been home runs. I expect Holmes to find some gems at some point as well.

2 Likes

CB is hard though. Maybe the hardest position.

I think Aaron Donald has a lot to do with that. He’s almost always in the QB’s face, making a safeties job so much easier.

While that is absolutely true, it’s more than that. The rookies always played early and looked ready to contribute.

Fuller was a 6th round pick out of Ohio state and pretty much their rookie of the year last year and now wears the green dot and is captain in only his second season. John Johnson was pretty much the same way about 4 years ago. Even their UDFA Nick Scott was a terror on their ST and once elevated in an emergency situation he was pretty solid as the #4 SAF.

The great news is that Pleasant was the primary coach and we are starting to see that with Parker and Price. He pushes these dudes hard and they are more ready than most rookies.

I feel like my biggest disappointment with Holmes so far is he hasn’t upgraded the safety spot like I know he can.

Even the WR group is contributing well with a bunch of guys projected to be backups or practice squad.

3 Likes

Good points! BH just had so many massive holes to fill, can’t do it all in one offseason.

I also think they wanted to see what Walker and Harris can do in a scheme NOT run by Fatty P before moving on from them or cutting them. For all we know, BH might have been high on one of them coming out of college, he would have scouted them well in his previous position.

1 Like

Agreed and I was thinking that may be the case as well with BH figuring out what he has. That said, safety is one of those positions that there is typically a surplus of talent as there are a lot more 6-1 205lb fast guys out there than 6-4 260lb+ monsters and hence why you spend the first 3 picks on the OL/DL.

Manning was ripping the 2 high safety look schematically against the Packers, but part of that was the very green CBs.

The defense played much better on the whole against the Ravens but PFF still roasted the performance of the safeties.

I’ve noticed that CJ Moore is starting to get more playing time now. What do we know about him? Didn’t see much in preseason.

The defense has a chance to demolish the Bears inept offense this week. The cursed fan in me worries that Foles will come in and light up the Lions like he is good for 2 random games a season.

Let’s not forget our highest graded Lions defender in the Ravens game. J. Okwara. He was credited with 3 QB hurries.

1 Like

Price is 6’3”. Maybe we have a safety

They moved him FROM safety.

I think there’s a decent chance that Okudah’s come back attempt happens at safety. That injury at CB makes things exceedingly difficult.

3 Likes

I am encouraged by Parker’s recognition in run support from the slot CB position.
He has made some nice plays there.

I would have liked to see him make a play on the 41 yard catch by Andrews in the early 3rd quarter.
The Lions as a team seem to be struggling a lot with the CB and safety communication in zone coverage.
On this particular play, the Ravens ran 2 vertical routes to the left against a cover 3 coverage.
AO followed his WR (Watkins) on his deep 1/3 responsibility.
Parker was initially over Duvernay in the slot, and passed him off to the safety as Duvernay ran deep middle.

Parker turned his attnetion to the RB in the flat area… but missed that Andrews was running an over route. Andrews caught it behind Parker and got a big gain.

If Parker could have recognized that route and gotten more depth… the big play may have been avoided.

AO has struggled with this as well… but it is something they can improve on as they get more coaching… which I am more confident will happen this year.

First Holmes didn’t have much to do with getting Bobby price and the coaches are the ones that moved him to CB were it looks to be a good fit, I thought he played really good had 3 PD in his first start. And cover really well most of the time in a new position he look great in my book. I’m sure he will have some growing pains but loved how he played. Great find by the coaches to recognize the switch to CB.

Price and Parker are stepping up and it’s hudge to the team .

Maybe here is the stud gem we need as the lions still keep protecting him every week out of all the PS players:

Wow, I didn’t realize that. And I mean that in a good way.

**[quote=“BearlyThere, post:16, topic:12062, full:true”]
Maybe here is the stud gem we need as the lions still keep protecting him every week out of all the PS players:

[/quote]

**Liked Elliott in college
Kyle Hamilton is my early favorite for our first pick in 22.
Type of chess piece that changes a D - Sean Taylor redux

There would be lots of ND blood on that D

Some good safeties in the draft and FA this year and with Walker being unrestricted we will need upwards of I’d say 6 of them.

I think it’s pretty likely that Elliott is on the 53 soon.

Just pick the best safety or CB and move Price to other spot.