Bevell to Jacksonville

I always thought the notion he would stay in Detroit was kind of silly. You don’t set up a new coach trying to win the room with the guy who was just the head coach before him, next to him in the room.

8 Likes

Good for him. I think he’s a good dude, but couldn’t expect a new regime to keep him. MCD Speaking on Swift specifically and seeing how under-utilized by Bevell he was, may have helped seal his fate in Campbell’s book.

8 Likes

I think he could do well with Trevor and Urban.

Interesting hire for Urban, I wonder what the connection is. He seems like the type to hire a bunch of NFL guys he’s worked with before like Scott Linehan. Suprising he wasn’t the hire.

Also Urban is a HUGE spread guy, so Bevell is an interesting fit.

1 Like

No connection, Bevell knows Urban will get fake sick, and he will become interim HC. Tellin ya, Bevell’s a genius.

3 Likes

Good for Darrell. Good dude and I wish him well.

4 Likes

Good gig for him - tough to pass up working with #1 OA QB.

Good luck to Bevell. Stafford being traded becomes even more possible with his OC and QB coach both moving on to new teams.

1 Like

Fine by me. I was puzzled by the love for him.

With that said, I wish him luck. He seems like a good guy.

4 Likes

He was a legit NFL offensive coordinator. For a team that has suffered through way more than its share of Jim Collettos, it’s something to appreciate.

5 Likes

after all those JBC years…he actually threw the ball downfield…Man that game against the Packers on MNF…they came out on FIRE.

He didn’t do much for the Lions though. They still had a putrid running game and Stafford still threw for a lot of yards. He also had an unhealthy love for old man AP with some brutal 4th down calls over the last two seasons. I don’t think he moved the needle much at all.

I wouldn’t have hated if he came back mainly because he’s experienced at least but he’s a dime a dozen coach.

1 Like

Really shocked! I thought Stafford’s say would carry more weight. Seems as if Holmes and Campbell never consulted him

Agreed, that really sucked. When he was hired, he had a history of running the ball well with the Vikes and Hawks. I was really hoping we could develop a strong running game under Bev, never happened.

Completely agree on force feeding AP all the time and how stupid that was.

I do wish Bev well though, he seems like a nice fella, unlike Fatricia.

Rumor was Urban wanted Linehan. Everyone is expecting Linehan to return to the NFL as an OC too.

Must be Linehan has another plan. Curious where he ends up.

I think Bevell will do well having a young Lawrence to work with.

2 Likes

EXCELLENT observation. A great bet to have another chance at interim HC

You really didn’t pay attention then, because when Patricia got fired and he ran the offense with out the ball and chain it was much different I believe we had a top 10 offense and avg like 400 yrds a game the weeks he was in charge. The whole run run pass went away. And petersons carries drop I do believe.

2 Likes

There was a very minimal chance Bevell was coming back. If you follow how the nfl works and you’re honest with yourself, there was a less than 5% chance of it happening. I wish him well.

1 Like

I’m bummed but we can’t always get what we want … he will balance Meyers personality imho - good for him

1 Like