Birkett: Detroit Lions rookie Jahmyr Gibbs off to slow start. But don't panic ... yet

Hyperboyle right here, no one expects him to carry the offense but they might expect to produce more then he has for a 12th over all pic. If he was taken in the 2nd you can wait on him alittle more he was taken top 12 as a RB . Him and Jamo are top 12 pics its ok for fans to expect them to produce.

Yeah and thats probably his pass protection

1 Like

Well good news is that 2nd rd jinks were we draft players that cant get on the field for so long for many reason seems to be ending, the bad news is it moved to the 12 over all pic. I hope next year we pic anywhere but 12.

Yup. Perfectly valid at this point.

2 Likes

Gibbs best asset is his speed and explosivenessā€¦ so giving him 30 carries in a game wouldnā€™t be good for him or the team over the course of a season.

I do think he can handle an average of 15 carries a gameā€¦ plus touches in the pass game. That still could end up over 300 touches in a season.

One thing I would like to see is more use of motion with himā€¦.
and I immediately thought that might be part of the plan when he was drafted, and Holmes described him as a ā€œpositionless weaponā€ after the draft. How could we not think the plan included some use that resembles the way the 49ers use Deebo and CMC?

1 Like

yes this is 100% sarcastic

Montgomery has the 13th biggest RB contract in the league. Heā€™s being paid to take the load and heā€™s taking it. Iā€™m sure many posters would be quick to ask what the heck weā€™re paying for if he wasnā€™t getting touches.

You sign a free agent for what he is right now. You draft a player for what he can become. Sometimes they show up straight away, sometimes it takes a little growth first. Thatā€™s the benefit of having a veteran around to take the load while a rookie grows.

Megatron had 48 catches for 756 yards his rookie year, ranking 72nd and 43rd in the league, and 4th and 3rd on the team. Roy Williams, Shaun McDonald and Mike Furrey took the load while Megatron was growing.

Gibbsā€™ start has been fine, heā€™s pacing for 750 yards rushing and 300 yards receiving. If the team keeps winning and thatā€™s all they need from him then great, Gibbs banks a solid first season and should be better, and capable of shouldering more of the load, next season.

We should be celebrating the fact that the roster construction and offensive scheme allows us to bed rookies in slowly, rather than decrying the fact they arenā€™t stats monsters from week 1.

1 Like

But, dude, he was the 12th pick.
Not acceptable!
Also, what the hell, bringing logic to the discussion.

first there is a hudge difference between wr and RBs and the learning curve for first year players. RBs taken that high are complete players and most hit the ground running for the most part. Comparing stats from a 1st year WR to a 1st year RB is very miss leading.

1 Like

4 games.

Yeah and people been saying same thing for all four games.

Let me ask you who is making more of a impact on there team

Gibbs or
Robinson
Carter
Gonzales

After 8 games can you question the pic when is it fare to question this pic ?

On top of everything this guy has been healthy and not getting touches most wonā€™t admit it , didnā€™t Holmes say hes really doesnā€™t have a position heā€™s a weapon ?

Seems he either isnt ready or they drafted him but havenā€™t figured out how to use him.

Christian McCaffrey must have been over drafted and being misused in San Francisco too thenā€¦ he was also drafted near the same spot in the first round. They both have 53 touches thru 4 games.

And those who still bitch about carter are millenesque in thinking ā€¦ he had more red flags then Charles Rogers AND Mike Williams combined times 10.

1 Like

Game stats for McCaffery

Rushing 80 for 459 yards 5.7 avg.
Recieving 18 catches 141

Last game 106 rushing yards 71 yards recieving.

Meh, I get it, you are the ā€œhe was overdrafted player I wanted Carterā€.
C. We werenā€™t getting Carter so he isnā€™t part of the discussion for me as it was apparent from day one it wasnā€™t happening.
A&B. Lions brought in DMo to be the bell weather back in this offense so the Bijan comp to Gibbs is not apples to apples. But, it doesnā€™t fit your narrative so you wonā€™t discuss the full picture. Andā€¦POSITIONAL VALUE
D. Gonzalez is out, and iirc there were some that were concerned about him due to his frame and injury potential in the NFL.

Personally, I think this was the first Holmes draft where he looked at what the team needed no matter the positional value and went that route. You can keep pounding the Carter drum all day long, as a UGA fan I get it and donā€™t disagree with you on his obvious impact. Yet, he was never an option in Detroit due to the off field issues, thus, I remove him from the discussion. You wonā€™t, which is fair on the one hand, but denying what this office is about from the possible ā€œturd viewpointā€ on the other.

Gibbs as the non main bell weather back is on pace for around 1000yds total after four games. DMo is also delivering what was expected and more so. Iā€™m happy with what the RB position is delivering.
I do believe that Gibbs will bring far more to the table this year and the next four-five years where this isnā€™t an issue.

1 Like

You need to look at the correct season to see the comparison.

He is comparing CMCā€™s rookie yearā€¦ 53 touches in first gamesā€¦ to Gibbsā€™ first 4 gamesā€¦.

2 Likes

Mine just doesnā€™t fit yours. But you got all these reasons we didnā€™t pic them guys . You take about Gonzales and concerns of his slight built, but what about Gibbs inability to pass protect ? It fits your narrative to down grade Gonzales slight built as you said but Gibbs lack of pass pro is just over looked.

Ok that makes more sense. Hope Gibbs turns out like McC
golf fall GIF

I get the swing and a miss

1 Like

RBs are different. They have a short shelf life and you tend to see early returns on them.

I was definitely caught off guard by the pick.
I thought they would be going defense and possibly JSN (because I thought JSN fit Goff like a glove).

I do think the plan was to get a guy they believe could be like a CMC or Kamara type versatile RB. I also think Gibbs could carry a few pounds since he isnā€™t wven 22yo yet. Weā€™ll seeā€¦ but I will root for him to be a stud since we have him!

1 Like

Well Carolina did move on from him and SF didnt give up a 1st for himā€¦ so yes there is an argument that he was over drafted.