Blough & Boyle

Detroit Lions confident in both Tim Boyle & David Blough as they battle it out for backup QB spot

I’m not confident at all in either of them. Boyle as a backup is frightening. The fact that Blough couldn’t unseat him says all I need to know. There’s no logical reason not to give someone else an opportunity.

5 Likes

Absurd.

I’m not sure either could crack any other roster. It’s irresponsible and malpractice to have those as your reserve QBs, and I’d love for someone to try to debate this.

A) We have no QB can that push Goff, or if Goff struggles, replace him to ensure the team remains competitive.

B) If Goff gets hurt, the season is a wrap.

I like a lot of what the team has done this to this point. But there’s no excuse for how this position has been handled.

9 Likes

yeah I couldn’t believe he said that we are in a good spot if one of them start , OR that our QB room is SO good. I’m not confident that if we let Timmy or Blough go-they would get snatched up by another team.

If they keep all 3 on the roster again this year I’ll be pretty disappointed.

The roster was extremely weak last year and there weren’t a lot of difficult decisions to make when it was time to cut down. Because of that i can better understand the decision to keep all 3 qb’s last year.

This year is a bit different. There is more talent on the roster and the cut down decisions will be more difficult.

If it comes down to keeping Blough or Boyle over someone like Cephus or Houston, for example, i hope they elect to keep the player over the QB. Especially when they can probably just pick up the QB they cut in an emergency situation during the season.

2 Likes

We can keep neither on the roster. They will be available as a free agent all season.

1 Like

Blough reportedly looked pretty good in OTAs. Boyle has the big arm but not much else. I think we could limp along with Blough if we have a great Oline and run game

But I’d like to see them draft a young QB to push Goff and add depth next year. Most the position groups are at least stable now

1 Like

Not sure why they didn’t make a run at Carson Strong (or someone like that) as an UDFA.

I wasn’t a fan of drafting a QB, but it seems like he would’ve been a worthwhile candidate to throw some cash at. How much worse can he possibly be than those two nutsacks?

3 Likes

@Doctor_Love agreed and that’s what’s alarming. They actually felt like they were set with the trash they had. I fully expected Strong late.

If only we had a legit backup, someone like Chase Daniel, who we could pay 5 mill per season. haha

Blough and Boyle both blow!! I think Blough might blow less and should win the backup spot.

But, not many teams actually have a good backup. Most teams are screwed if the starter goes down, including us.

6 Likes

Cut them both. Fox is a better backup qb than those 2. Save us 2 roster spots for guys who can play.

2 Likes

Heck the lions could put brunnel and randle el out there to play qb… and get better results than those 2 guys.

2 Likes

Strongs medical must have come back mega scary for him to fall out of the draft

Oh, I figured as much (I believe I even posted so here). My point is that a somewhat gimpy Strong would still likely be better than Boyle or Blough.

It’s like keeping Jim Sorgi as backup. Heck, Bob Gagliano would be an upgrade, like today’s version.

One thing that I enjoy thinking about is that Boyle beat out Jordan Love for the backup job behind Rodgers in Love’s rookie year. We know Boyle sucks, so what does that say about Love!?

I’d be alarmed if we don’t see another QB traded for, signed, or drafted before a whole lot longer.

I think we need to accept the fact that Blough or Boyle will be Goff’s backup. We are not a good enough team to spend up on a backup QB, IMO. Why waste that money this year. If we lose Goff the season is going in the shitter, why not get a higher draft pick.

Terrible way to look at it, I know. In 2023, when my expectation will be playoffs or bust, we better have a better backup plan. At that point it may be Goff as the starter and a highly drafted rookie backing him up.

Ol Danny Blough is a waste of space , he hasn’t done a thing in the league.

1 Like

That’s just it, I seriously think we could have not just one, but two higher quality backups on league minimum contracts. H E Double Hockeysticks, we could get better with an open tryout of local talent!