Bob Quinn Pattern

I can’t waste my time on nonsense
Not surprised it’s in your wheelhouse

Yet you posted off topic twice while making zero points yourself. You wasted your time twice trying to be a grammar Nazi. Then you replied to my post with multiple grammatical errors. All the while never once addressing the actual topic. Congrats.

What exactly did we win before? A Super Bowl? A conference championship? A playoff game? A division? None of the above you say? Well damn, I guess we weren’t winning much of anything prior to them taking over either.

Winning the hearts and minds of Lions fans…LOL

It’s not just that. It’s the fact that we made the playoffs numerous times with Caldwell and outside of some bad officiating, should have won a road playoff game. Now, I’m not some Caldwell lover at all, but changes were made because that was not good enough. Quinn said 9-7 was not good enough and that the talent was better than that.

Let’s recap:

Year 1 under Quinn with almost all Mayhew’s players and Mayhew’s coach - Team goes 9-7 and makes the playoffs.

Year 2 under Quinn - Team goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs. Quinn fires Caldwell, because in his words the talent was better than the 9-7 record.

Year 3 under Quinn with another year of adding his players and adding his own handpicked coach - Team goes 6-10 and the season was over in reality in week 2 after losing to 2 of the worst teams in the NFL to start the season.

Year 4 under Quinn with a LAST PLACE SCHEDULE - Team is 3-5-1 and in all likelihood will finish in last place again. Probably will finish no better than 7-8-1, but more likely 6-9-1.

So, the longer Quinn stays here, the team just doesn’t get better. This team has less elite players than when he arrived and for year 3 and 4 of his tenure, the season was over before freaking Halloween. That’s a pretty bad trend.

Pff has decker as the best LT 2wks in a row so no… don’t use them. Next generation stats.

With me, Quinn has a longer leash, than Patricia.

Quinn’s still learning - while trying to implement some things he picked up @ New England.

…What Quinn and so many Lions GMs failed to understand, is there’s a looong-standing Culture existent here, that makes it 3X as hard to build a contender.

Not happy with the results thus far, not happy with some of the Draft selections, not happy Caldwell was let go for this .
The leash for both should be exactly the same , Quinn should not have been extended after the Patrica signing he did not deserve it . The extension to Quinn tells me both are a package deal and should be . Succeed and build a winner . I want no part of either being dismissed in the next 2 years , both should have 2020 & 21 to show dramatic improvement …4 years . If not fire both and start new and blow this shit up.

2 Likes

Those are examples of useful data. Objective data.

The grades, however, are subjective and most often ill-informed. It’s just the nature of the beast. On top of the subjective, you also now have the editorialized content. “Tabloid” probably isn’t the word I’d use, but they’re certainly due criticism for some of their product.

4 years is too long.

There isn’t a single coach in the salary cap era that ever won a playoff game that started with 3 straight losing seasons.

Only 3 coaches ever won a playoff game in the last 25 years that didn’t make the playoffs in their first 3 years.

One was Gary Kubiak who coached the expansion Houston Texans.

Another was Jeff Fisher when the Oilers announced they were leaving Houston. Technically once they became the Titans he did it in 3 years but such is life.

Finally the one coach who didn’t make the playoffs in his first 3 years and eventually won a playoff game that did coach an expansion team or a team that moved cities in the modern era is…Jason Garrett.

He won his 1st playoff game in his 4th year after 3 straight 8-8 seasons by beating your Detroit Lions.

1 Like

4 years is not to long , this team is not a dumpster fire .
You do not change coaches and GM’s like underwear. I’m not happy with the results as of yet but I can see what it is they are doing , I see a lack of talent being more of an issue . I see a DC that has not had the killer instinct , I also key injuies to key players being a big part of the struggle .
This team was beat by the Vikings in 2019 , a game I feel we lost and were over matched …That’s it .
Losing to Oakland and now the Bears by 7 points with the ball in our hand to tie or win , losing to KC and Greenbay in games the refs played a major role in lends to us competing or should have beaten the best . Beating the teams and opposing QB’s we did in 2018 also speaks to the team being better than the record , key mistakes , refs , lack of talent & new HC , new OC, an over matched DC are all key .
Blowing it up makes no sense , a new HC that would need to bring in his guys makes no sense . When we quit or are being destroyed I will get on board but at this point the team to me is closer to being good than bad .

1 Like

His points really aren’t good though.

I just gave you a sample of each coach to ever win a playoff game in 25 years and your response to that is we should still go 4 years in hope Patricia might be Jason Garrett?

Are you serious.

1 Like

100% serious the stats you show & I love stats are not relevant here , with this team , these coaches , these GM’s …They are coincidences based on nothing that can be looked at objectively in this scenario . The HC and GM have no track record in order to make that assumption.
If you said to me these same things and we had Marvin Lewis or Hugh Jackman I would give it more weight but those stats only point to a trend.
Did you see the reasons why I would not blow it up or change HC’s or GM’s at this point ?

I’m not saying do it now.

What I’m saying is if after next season if no playoffs fire Patricia.

I agree but for me it would have to be based on the play and how we lose and if this team quits and if we are just being destroyed and the health of our best players .
It was my biggest issue with Caldwell being let go . The Caldwell record , the playoffs , the teams play and love of Caldwell and the no quit mentality were huge .
This team and Caldwell were better than what Quinn gave them and Caldwell was gone and not part of the plan the day Quinn was hired .
Never put his plan in motion until Caldwell was outed . Never addressed our biggest issue the RB and run game , did not bring in the pieces that were needed for Austins cover 2 scheme even though Austin showed he could do it if the proper players and penetrating one gap DT’s could be obtained. Quinn’s extension annoyed the hell out of me, giving my take on Quinns first 2 years more merit as to it being a sham . More the I tried to succeed with what he had now give me my 5 years with Patricia to right the ship & to be honest I feel it is being done but expectations are to big for year two and when year one had Patricia fishing through left overs once he was hired late , this is really year one of the plan …I think we are going to be a a good team with time from Quinn and Patricia .

1 Like

We’ve had many elite players over the years and it hasn’t amounted to a damn thing. Not ready to jump ship on the regime. That might change in time but like many others have said “cultural changes” take time. We’re still weeding out players who don’t buy in. I can see what BQ wants to accomplish and I agree with the direction. It’s whether or not he can execute, and I’m willing to wait it out for a couple of years to find out. You jump ship now and you’re going into a full rebuild to get in the players the new regime would want and it’ll set you back another few years.

1 Like

I heard on the radio that we are 1 of 3 teams to have a lead in every game this season. I’m disgusted with the record but we have been in every game, with even reasonable health we are a playoff team.

I’m willing to give Quinn/Patricia more time.

This was mentioned during the last game or the game before. The Lions are close, they just need to finish strong. It’s hard to do when there are other factors involved though. I’m not going to name all of them lol.

Bob Quinn’s pattern =

1 Like