Brad Holmes Interview w Rich Eisen

1 Like

Agree with Burke’s take. Hutch doesn’t have to be Lawrence Taylor. If we can get some Chris Long in his prime-type production, that’s a-okay.

5 Likes

Sounded like Williams may not be in the plans to start season

3 Likes

I think the Chris Long comparison comes from how relentless they both played in college. Chris never became a star per say, but had a solid career with 70 sacks and 15 forced fumbles. He also won 2 super bowls.

At the end of the day, comparisons are fun, but Hutch will be his own man in the league.

12 Likes

Brad was hinting at taking it real slow with him, which is the right thing to do. We play 5 games and then we have a bye week, followed by game 6 against the Cowgirls could be a realistic date for Jameson in late October. He’d still be able to play 10-12 games in his rookie season potentially.

7 Likes

Its a little bit of a downer though. It just wasn’t a great top of the draft this year.

1 Like

Ya know, as a crotchety old man, I’ve grown more skeptical about people’s ability to really know what the hell they’re looking at. I mean sure, there are certain draft classes that just seem stuffed with HoF-caliber prospects in the top 10. But I’d be curious to see some kind of long-term study comparing consensus views about the overall quality of a given draft class with how that class actually shook out. (This may not be possible to do.)

Whatever the grade on this draft class overall, I really like the guys we took in the first. I’m feeling homer-ish here in May before any games get played, but I think they will both prove to be damn good if not great players, who will stand up against guys taken at those spots in most other classes. Williams especially could prove to be the absolute steal of this draft.

In any case, I don’t know if the guys there were necessarily a lot weaker than the typical draft class. The difference was really that there were no QBs worth a damn. So instead of a normal class, when you’d have at least 2 or 3 QBs go high, everybody had to pick from one of the non-QB players, so the top non-QB talent went a lot faster than it would in a normal year.

8 Likes

I listened to the whole interview. It really sounded like Brad wanted to not make a promise that stood a chance of not being met. It would make it seem there was a setback in his recovery.

Always better to err on the side of caution. Say he won’t be there, then if he is, it’s a good thing. Jamo has a very bright future. Missing a few games to start won’t hurt anything. If it’s even required.

3 Likes

It’s like another Detroit team with the Pistons being extra cautious with Cade Cunningham to start the season. Not the same injury but fans were frustrated about the team taking their time with his debut and while he had a slow start, he was a bona fide star by the last two months of the season.

Long story short, everybody needs to have patience and not get all frustrated with “really concerned about this injury long term”, “bust because he can’t get on the field” talk if they slow roll it and sit him the first month of the season because the pay off will likely be huge with a “fully” healthy Jamo.

9 Likes

No long-term study or anything like that, but I do remember the 2013 draft was billed in a similar way…. very little standout talent at the top and bad QBs. And for the most part that’s how it’s played out. Lane Johnson is an outlier as a stud at the top but the rest had fairly middling careers (Ansah was probably the next best in the top ten) and only two QBs went in the first 3 rounds (EJ Manuel and Geno Smith). Smith is the only one still playing.

The overall class turned out to be terrible as well (seriously, the 1st round is a travesty), but I don’t recall if that’s how it was seen ahead of time.

1 Like

On flip side… 2017 was considered a poor year to draft a QB early.
The 49ers had the 2nd pick and no franchise QB… and passed on QB for Solomon Thomas.
Mahomes and Watson didn’t get picked on the top 10 picks.

1 Like

Yes, i believe the Long comparison was based off 2020, he later says how Aiden cane out with a whole new arsenal than he had in 2020

3 Likes

Yeah true, though I never understood the low grades on Watson. I thought he should have gone #1 overall, he’s one of my favorite QB prospects of the past decade. I couldn’t understand the NFL’s hangup on him, he’s one of the more obvious cases of the “it” factor in a long, long time. It was labeled as a mediocre class overall though, you’re right about that. And for the record I agreed that Trubisky was mediocre and I wasn’t a huge fan of Mahomes either (whoops). But Watson to me was as good as any QB prospect you can find.

2 Likes

Love it, bro.

3 Likes

I’m listening now. Noticing I have positive emotional anchors with Brad’s voice. I get happy, when I hear him talk. LOL.
Loving being a Lions fan, right now. Brad Holmes is SO important. Still think Dan is the HUGE special talent, but Brad is amazing too.

2 Likes

I remember the 99 draft where it was akili smith, Cade mcnown, Tim couch, Donovan Mcnabb, and daunte Culpepper I believe… Shaun king was drafted in the 2nd rd. There was a ton of hype I remember around that draft.

Also torry holt and the Ricky Williams draft.

1 Like

I see a fairly good chance that Williams could be the best player taken in this draft.

I truly don’t know what to expect from Hutch. I think he gets a TON stronger coming into his 2nd year.

1 Like

Super-open to upgrading all positions, including QB.
“There were a few times during the draft when it looked like that could happen.”
…in terms of drafting a rookie QB this year

1 Like

Remember when Ditka traded the entire draft for Williams and then went out drinking with no picks left, haha

4 Likes

I still think 2023 is the target date for a QB. It lines up with Goff’s out on his contract. And I think it was always the plan. That is why I don’t expect much from the Lions this year. Or next year really. 2023 is when the clock starts ticking on Holmes and MCDC but they’ll get some slack if they are playing a new QB. Unless this year is just a total inexcusable shitshow (which I don’t expect). This is not the post ppl want to read, especially when everybody is optimistic in May, not trying to be a wet blanket, but I am doing my best to temper my expectations - and I think 2023 is pretty realistic. By next June, we should have a top drafted QB and a team chock full of young guys ready to make a run but they’ll need the QB to grow. All bets are off if Goff starts playing well though.

4 Likes