Brad Holmes: Jared Goff Has Proven This Offseason 'He's the Guy'

I’m wondering what would have happened if either Willis or Corral had been there at No. 97 overall or Howell would have been there at No. 177 overall.

That would apply to any position.

McVay’s offense made it hard for any QB to read the defense. The offense they were running was predicated on the playcall being right and everything about the presnap reads being right, because the QB was going to have their back to the defense ALOT. Gary Kubiak ran a similar offense and it was part of the compromise that he made with Peyton Manning, getting Manning in the Pistol so that he had the advantage of being in gun and reading the defense but the run game could still function in a similar manner as before. Even Peyton frickin Manning hates having his back to the defense that much.

When Stafford got to LA one of the first things that changed about McVay’s offense was more shotgun snaps and less play action.

3 Likes

I see nothing wrong with this. Goff seems like a confidence player and I think a lot of the other guys are also.

1 Like

Yet the decline of play-action due to the decline of the RB stable in LA is what was supposed to be responsible for Goff’s decline. The case seems to have been established that Goff needs play-action and that the Lions establishing a run-game at least as good as the Rams 2018 run game will get Goff back to Superbowl-caliber play.

I don’t intend to argue one way or the other, but I thought a strong play-action game was what we were all hoping for this year.

1 Like

They ran a league high amount of playaction when Goff was there. They were also at the top of the league in snaps under center. The “decline” in playaction and under center snaps happened when Stafford got there.

As has been pointed out by Cal fans who came over here, that wasn’t Goff’s game to be under center and turning his back to the defense. He adjusted to it but he was a shotgun QB at Cal.

The run game is definitely a priority here with this staff, and I am happy to see that. However I hope they never run that many plays under center and playaction from under center here. It worked for a little bit but McVay realized he needed to change things up as one of his adjustments going forward. In my research it looks like not only was he near the league low in shotgun snaps, but he passed the ball out of shotgun close to 100% of the time. So it made it incredibly predictable. With Stafford they are in shotgun more, they are running playaction less and they are running the ball more out of shotgun to mix things up.

4 Likes

THIS!

1 Like

Yeeeesh, talk about damning with faint praise.

Those assholes. They should just agree with me so they don’t ever have to be incorrect.

3 Likes

Haha well played sir! And you are a doctor, how could you possibly ever be wrong.

1 Like

Proctologist, no doubt

1 Like

One small point: I don’t think we have any reason to believe Fisher “wanted Goff to be something that he just wasn’t.” Goff started the last 7 games of the 2016 season, his rookie year, and Fisher was fired after the first 5. Goff’s main receivers were Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, and Brian Quick, and the team was floundering and racked with injuries. I seriously doubt Fisher had reached firm conclusions about his rookie QB after 5 games under those conditions.

But I agree w/your bigger point: they’re supporting Jared to succeed but are by no means committed to giving him more than this year’s opportunity. I sincerely hope he kicks a$$, for his sake and the team’s - and I’m sure the braintrust does too. As many have said, JG holding down the QB position in Detroit at a high level for the next 5+ years would be gold for this franchise.

We’ll see!

1 Like

And the gf thingie please….

Will not be right to discuss Goff, again, without mentioning FA the fact he got in the doghouse for saying he thought the HCs chick was hot!

Like it or not that’s part of this play until they say it’s not

Is it though?

1 Like

The GF thing is not real.

Here’s my thought on the GF coment.
If it indeed did happen, does anyone believe that Goff just started texting his teammates saying this?..like, I’m sure it was part of a bigger discussion. So it feels like it might have been taken out of context or blown up to make it look like something it wasn’t.

2 Likes

Only in your world! But I still love you from mine!! :crazy_face::heart::+1::pray::upside_down_face:

This is from the same source a few months after the Goff post, I guess this is why Gurley was let go. The Goff one was from July 16, 2018 so I can only guess McVay and his girlfriend’s relationship was more open back then as it took him 3 years to get rid of him.

3 Likes

I will stand by Goff is a “good” quarterback in the league. He isn’t great, elite, and maybe not even very good. But he is good. With the right team makeup, he can get you there.

I am in no panic to replace him. I am very supportive for building a team around him. And I am supportive of upgrading the position when it makes sense to do so.

It reminds me a lot of the old Stafford talk from years ago. But Goff isn’t Stafford.

1 Like

Bump!
This bears repeating.

1 Like