Brandon Powell- Better then Tate!

I think TJ Jones will end up being the #3 after a while.

While his ceiling is lower than Powell’s, his floor is much higher. If Jonez were somewhere like New Orleans, Brees would have turned him into a household name by now.

We’ll see what ends up happening, but in the end I suspect that’s how it’ll shake up.

Forgive me if I don’t crown Powell right away. I haven’t seen anything from him that screams “star” or even “reliable starter.” Obviously, I’m willing to be wrong.

Florida used to list him at 5’-8”, so I’m guessing you are right.

The Lions were only middling on offense anyway. They were between 14-17 in most every offensive category. Can’t believe losing Tate is going to make us much less than the average we are
http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=DET

Powell is a rookie, and rookies make mistakes. I got high hopes for the kid, but I don’t think we can expect too much from him right out of the gate. TJ will get the Lions’ share (see what I did there?) of the snaps in the slot, and he’ll probably block as well as or better than Tate did and I would imagine better than Powell will until he learns the ropes at least.

One of the pluses behind this trade is that defenses would focus on Tate on 3rd downs and now they won’t know where we’re going to go with the ball. It’ll be interesting to see how our 3rd down conversion rate is affected.

1 Like

Probably more throws to the TE too.

I have a feeling the Lions will want to establish Tate’s replacement this week. I’m expecting TJ to get the opportunity to make the biggest impact.

HA! I lol’d when I read it too! …then I lolel(even louder) when I scrolled down and read that you did the same.

But all joking aside, no dropped passes in a highlight reel is pretty remarkable. :smiley:

Just hope he does well enough to become a reliable 3rd or 4th WR.

2 Likes

While he was Tate’s understudy, he will still need real game experience, and lots of it to even begin to resemble what Tate brought to the table. Not sure how well Powell knows the route tree well enough to be truly comfortable yet. That said, the Vikings have precious little game film on him and that could definitely work to our advantage.

Tate was talking him up big time in TC, said he reminds him of himself, but better… One can only hope.

I think TJ gets the #3 spot for now but we should see more BP. I also believe we will see more KJ out of the backfield. They also may go some 2 back sets with Riddick and then shift him to the slot. We have a lot of options and skill players to pick up the slack I think. Not one player but a combination.

1 Like