Bravvion Roy DT Baylor 6'1"-333lbs

This kid had 61 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble and was the anchor of the 20th ranked defense and he got snubbed from the Combine.

I think he’d be a good kid to use a 5th round pick on.

2 Likes

I’m a big, big fan of his, and I think he’d be a great fit for us. Best NT in the draft for what we like to do.

3 Likes

Works for me.

1 Like

Agree. I’ve got Fotu and Roy as late round backup NT options. Prefer a pass rush DT in the top half of the draft. We could use both. Replace A’Shawn and Daniels.

3 Likes

I’m kinda expecting us to add a DL or two in rounds 3-6. Especially if we do not go DL with our first pick.

I have a feeling we won’t go CB with our first pick. I am starting to think we might go trenches with an OT or DT.

1 Like

arm length? Shelton only has 32" arms so maybe that isn’t as important for a NT.

Fotu’s arms are not short at 34 1/4

Baylor had a great D this last season, just not sure what part he played in making it good. Maybe in the 6th but it would depend who else is still on the board.

BRAVVION ROY, DEFENSIVE TACKLE, BAYLOR

A mammoth in the middle of Baylor’s defense, Bravvion Roy was an immovable anchor. With space eaters becoming more of a thing of the past, it’s understandable why the league may be down on him at the moment. Unfortunately for all of us, Roy would’ve tested much better than a prospect of his size because of his athleticism shown throughout his time in Waco. Despite him being left off of the list of 337 prospects, it shouldn’t come as a surprise if Roy turns out to be one of the better Day 3 interior defensive line prospects from this class if his landing spot is ideal.

Could be that 3rd round pick Quinn likes that no one saw coming.

Yeah I’d take Lynch as a 5/3t for us (Hand), Dye as a WILL in cover sub packages, or Roy at backup NT. Or heck, take all three! Maybe their guard Lemieux while we’re at it…

From now until the 2020 NFL Draft takes place, we hope to showcase as many prospects as possible and examine both their strengths and weaknesses. Most of these profiles will feature individuals that the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to have an interest in, while a few others will be top-ranked players. If there is a player you would like us to analyze, let us know in the comments below.

#99/Bravvion Roy/iDL/Baylor/6’1”, 332 Lbs

The Good

From now until the 2020 NFL Draft takes place, we hope to showcase as many prospects as possible and examine both their strengths and weaknesses. Most of these profiles will feature individuals that the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to have an interest in, while a few others will be top-ranked players. If there is a player you would like us to analyze, let us know in the comments below.

#99/Bravvion Roy/iDL/Baylor/6’1”, 332 Lbs

The Good

-Thick, powerful frame
-Able to eat up blockers in the run game to let LBs flow freely
-Gets skinny and slips through gaps as a pass rusher when turned loose
-Surprisingly quick getoff when asked to rush the passer; catches interior OL off guard
-Fast, efficient hands to stay clean in close quarters
-Freakish movement skills for his size

The Bad

-Doesn’t offer much consistency overall as an inside rusher
-Needs to shoot gaps and use his quickness to win against top competition; doesn’t have a pass rush arsenal to win one-on-one
-Anchor against run game can be maddeningly inconsistent; pad level betrays him at times
-Seems to take plays off and prefers stalemates in run game
-Has short arms and doesn’t lock out well playing the run

Bio

-Played in 48 career games at Baylor, starting 30 games for the Bears
-Finished four-year career with 133 career tackles, 19.0 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, and one forced fumble
-Named strongest player in Baylor program by head coach Matt Rhule leading into spring of junior year
-Named a top 300 recruit by ESPN and Scout coming out of high school
-Reportedly clocked a 4.9 40-yard dash at Baylor spring workout in 2019

Tape Breakdown

Baylor senior defensive tackle Bravvion Roy certainly looks the part of an old-school, run-stuffing nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme, but the tape leaves the viewer wanting more from the veteran defensive tackle.

With his size and noted strength in the weight room, one would think Roy would dominate at the point of attack consistently. From the tape I watched, I really didn’t see that. It seems like he was good with just standing there tying up an interior lineman.

I’m not exactly sure what Baylor’s defensive philosophy is, but from watching the tape that’s not really what they wanted Roy doing.

When he was asked to work up the field, he struggled with his pad level, and that led to him getting pushed out of holes, especially against Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game.

The Bad

-Doesn’t offer much consistency overall as an inside rusher
-Needs to shoot gaps and use his quickness to win against top competition; doesn’t have a pass rush arsenal to win one-on-one
-Anchor against run game can be maddeningly inconsistent; pad level betrays him at times
-Seems to take plays off and prefers stalemates in run game
-Has short arms and doesn’t lock out well playing the run

Bio

-Played in 48 career games at Baylor, starting 30 games for the Bears
-Finished four-year career with 133 career tackles, 19.0 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, and one forced fumble
-Named strongest player in Baylor program by head coach Matt Rhule leading into spring of junior year
-Named a top 300 recruit by ESPN and Scout coming out of high school
-Reportedly clocked a 4.9 40-yard dash at Baylor spring workout in 2019

Tape Breakdown

Baylor senior defensive tackle Bravvion Roy certainly looks the part of an old-school, run-stuffing nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme, but the tape leaves the viewer wanting more from the veteran defensive tackle.

With his size and noted strength in the weight room, one would think Roy would dominate at the point of attack consistently. From the tape I watched, I really didn’t see that. It seems like he was good with just standing there tying up an interior lineman.

I’m not exactly sure what Baylor’s defensive philosophy is, but from watching the tape that’s not really what they wanted Roy doing.

When he was asked to work up the field, he struggled with his pad level, and that led to him getting pushed out of holes, especially against Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game.