Breaking Down The Defensive Depth Chart

I can’t sleep, the CGJ news has me to pumped. I’m curious what everyone’s expectations of this defense is. I legitimately think they can be a top 10 unit. Let’s assess all of the players on this defensive roster right now that should be on the week 1 roster.

Edge

Aidan Hutchinson - Bordering on elite starter

Romeo Okwara - Could be solid starter.

John Cominsky - Capable starter, high end depth

Charles Harris - Very capable role player.

Josh Pascal - Wildcard. High end starter potential.

James Houston - Flashed all pro talent, could be major difference maker.

DT

Alim McNeil - Solid starter with elite potential. Not a 70%+ snap guy

Isaiah Buggs - Very good role player.

Levi Onwuzurike - Complete unknown, can’t be counted on.

LB’er

Alex Anzalone - Capable starter, great leader and communicator.

Malcolm Rodriguez - Very good role player with a lot of room to grow into a pretty good starter.

Derrick Barnes - Talented depth with excellent physical traits.

CB

Cameron Sutton - Very good starter.

Jeff Okudah - Flashed high end starter potential, but major unknown. Could make a huge impact if he takes a big step forward.

Emmanuel Moseley - Capable starter with room for growth.

Jerry Jacobs - Very scrappy high energy player. Would be comfortable if he started games.

Will Harris - Versatile and experienced depth.

Safety

Kerby Joseph - Ballhawk who flashed elite starter qualities. Year 2 jump?

Tracy Walker - Capable starter with top notch leadership and communication skills

Chauncey Gardner Johnson - Bordering on elite play-making NB. Movable chess piece.

Our depth at edge has got to be the best I’ve ever seen on a Lions squad. Cominsky/Pascal may have to bulk up and play inside more this year. I would love Will Anderson to fall and would take him in a heartbeat, but where the hell do we put him.

Our DT group is in bad shape. As I mentioned above, I think Cominsky and Pascal will play inside on passing downs a lot which will mitigate that issue some. Adding a difference maker here would make this one of the best DLines in the league.

The LBer group is thoroughly average and we need another capable body. I think this has to be a priority on day 2. A talented secondary and DLine could elevate this group.

We may be lacking a true star at CB if Okudah doesn’t take a big step forward, but I would be comfortable with any of the 4 starting. I would love to add one more in the draft at some point.

Our Safety group could be among the best in the league and I don’t think that is an exaggeration. That is huge for Glenn’s defense.

6 Likes

We are definitely drafting a DT fairly highly. I’d be shocked if we didn’t. Otherwise I think it’s OG, WR and one more CB

4 Likes

I think that’s the gaping hole right now. We could upgrade at LBer; but I think we would be okay if we didn’t.

I really want one of Jalen Carter, Kancey, Adebawore, or Benton.

4 Likes

Like what you did but its not bad look at last season when we made the changes an used Buggs an McNeal together was when we started to win. It needs one more for sure but its not bad. You saw Comish move inside same with Pascal Not every snap but they can an they cause problems .

Of the d Lineman IMO Romeo is weak link now maybe he comes back like before injury but based on few games last season at end he was not ready. Lions will know if he can help.

Just wait until we sign Wagner tomorrow! Top 5 defense acquired!!

1 Like

We have two true DTs. Calling Buggs a good starter is a stretch and we literally have no depth. We need two more bodies at DT. Probably the weakest position group on the roster outside of maybe TE.

3 Likes

I disagree an if you check when Buggs an McNeil started to play a lot together The Lions started to stop the run game against us. I am not making it up. Now do we need another yes an Guy I want is Benton who can play 3 tech an NT But Buggs worked well once they paired the two on many snaps. Not what you want to hear but is a fact.

The also have Jones who they played a little but tendered .

There is absolutely no reason not to take Bijan, now. OG and DT can be had in the second round. In fact, most in this draft are ranked lower than 31.
Bijan will be more impactful for “this” team than any other player in the draft. The league may not consider him BPA at #6oa, but, he’s our BPA.

1 Like

We didn’t pay D-Mo $6m per to go draft Bijan.

7 Likes

Correct-ish.
Swift has one year, and is injury prone.
Bijan isn’t to replace D-Mo.

1 Like

That’s A LOT of resources at RB.

I agree → we need a RB for a future move
Chances of Swift missing extended time are good.
How much are we going to entrust Netflix & Jackson with?
I say go get Gibby in the second round to be a Swift-ish role next year.

A 2nd round RB is okay. I just don’t want to pay another RB close to 5m per

2 Likes

I’m one of the biggest Bijan fans there is, but I’d be surprised if we took Bijan with Swift and Montgomery.

1 Like

Even more if Robinson went at 6. Last years 6th pick signed for 4 years 28 mill.

Agreed.

Regarding who we may be drafting, nothing would surprise me. Bijan would fill out the RB room perfectly and Gonzo would the CB room, pushing Lucas to the PS.

Oh Man @Martymcfly2017 be going off the deep end if that happened.

Doc Brown Shock GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

1 Like

Very good breakdown

No doubt about it. McNeil is pretty solid, a #2 starter. Buggs is a solid #3 rotational guy who can fill in as needed. But they are not only missing another DT, but a real contributor IMO.

Agreed 100%

Also completely agree. AA is really the only capable starter. If he goes down with injury do we feel confident making a Super Bowl run with Rodrigo and Barnes as our LBers? I don’t.

Outside of Hutch they are lacking a star on D period. That may change as young guys develop but this is exactly why I hope the Lions use their draft resources to aim for someone who can be a game changer and not to plug a hole on the paper depth chart. Don’t “fill a hole” but instead go get someone who can elevate this D on a rookie contract for the next half decade. Or at least aim for that. Nabbing a star at literally any D position will be a far bigger help than filling any depth chart will.

1 Like

We still have the draft to grab a DT.

1 Like

I think both Kerby and Houston could become that. Those dudes were making plays in the second half of the season. Kerby had 4 picks in the last 10 games and Houston had 8 sacks in 7 games. Now we can’t crown them yet, but they could be real forces.

Playmakers are so important. And we did sign a dude from the Eagles that led the nfl in INT’s last year.

3 Likes